cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duramax value

coachman05
Explorer
Explorer
2011 duramax with 82000 miles for 31k. Is that a good deal? And were the 2011s durable or did they have problems with them?
2008 8244 Rockwood
2003 1500 5.3 liter Silverado
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
coachman05 wrote:
I've never owned a diesel so I don't know much about them but, I've been looking at used one and I'm finding out they are hard to find without a ton of miles on them. 31k for a truck with close to 100k miles on it seems high but, I guess that's the going rate which is ridiculous. Now I'm thinking I need to look for pre 2011 the way it sounds.

It seems crazy and it kinda is... Hoping I could hold out until the economy slows down, but around here I'm not certain $31k would buy a loaded cherry 80k mile CC LML Dmax.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
97chevor wrote:
Miles, Miles, Miles. I always had more problems do to age.

Ha! But to you, a 150k mile truck means it's dang near still new in your line of work!

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Miles, Miles, Miles. I always had more problems do to age.

coachman05
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned a diesel so I don't know much about them but, I've been looking at used one and I'm finding out they are hard to find without a ton of miles on them. 31k for a truck with close to 100k miles on it seems high but, I guess that's the going rate which is ridiculous. Now I'm thinking I need to look for pre 2011 the way it sounds.
2008 8244 Rockwood
2003 1500 5.3 liter Silverado

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rough check, assuming crew cab 2500 LT 4wd diesel = $29k clean retail value.
There's your baseline and we all know cherry used diesels sell well and typically at a bit of a premium, so if it's a spotless well cared for truck, it's a $30k truck giver take.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
come on nutz, lets not be practical. ๐Ÿ˜‰

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked up on KBB the "Private Party" value of our 2004.5 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 Duramax/Allison crew cab LB 4X4 truck we had ordered and purchased with cash in March of 2004 and the value is $19,840 to $21,600. Truck is clean, bright shiny paint, no rust at all, mechanically in excellent condition, and the interior shows virtually no wear. GCWR of 22,000lbs so plenty capable for us.

We paid $36,002 OTD total cash (NO TRADE) for it in March 2004 including the 6% state sales tax, delivery charge, title and registration, the full length extruded aluminum running boards (NOT TUBE BARS), the sprayed in entire bed liner all the way up and over the top of the side walls. Truely in excellent condition and everything works just like when it was new. Yes, they sure do hold their value!!!

Ours is 15 years and 5 months old now and has only been used for RV'ing since new as that is what it was purchased for. It's been a great truck and "NO", we are not going to sell it... Why should we as it does and always has done everything we wanted it to do and still looks new inside and out and has NO exhaust garbage so the MPG's are very good?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IN general, the LML powered GM trucks are a great platform. Modern day power bone stock (or close anyway, lol), transmission that was the benchmark for 10+ years and as good of chassis as any truck on the road.
The couple concerns (same as any diesel truck) is it was first year for the new emissions systems. The folks I know who have them haven't been extremely problematic, bout the same as any of the big 3. If you're in an area With no emissions inspection, then this is a $1500 fix to permanently fix all emissions issues. If not, it may cost some $ down the road. Again no different than the other 2 mfgs.
CP4 pump may be a concern. More so out of warranty. You can gamble the low odds that it will fail (but high odds it'll take out the whole fuel system if it does), retrofit a new CP4 blocker plate to it, or replace it with a venerable CP3 pump relatively economically.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ACZL wrote:
Seems high to me considering it's going on 9 years old.

Depends on what it is. All we literally know is the year engine and miles.
Could be a 1 grampa owned, loaded dually crew cab that is like new or could be a rusted out regular cab plow truck with low miles becasue it's only used in the Minnysooota winters.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to add that mine which is a 2013 which also is the same generation motor has 106k miles and has been a good truck and i've been very happy with it. Had the typical Def tank/heater issue that was covered under warranty but never had any problems with the fuel system or DPF filter.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Seems high to me considering it's going on 9 years old.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can still buy a 3/4 ton Ram CTD with no bells or whistles for less than 50K.
I would buy new !

millesecond
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 3500 with 98,000 miles on it been pretty much trouble free other than a couple of sensors. I would not sell it at that price.
2011 GMC 3500
2004 HH Champagne 35sk

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Hmmmmm, have you looked up in the Kelly book?

This^^ if you know the trim level, condition, and options you can find out in minutes. Also compare it to others you find on Autotrader.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel