cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking About Nova Scotia/PEI July/Aug 2020

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of heading up to Nova Scotia and PEI next July and/or August. We know we want to spend some time on the Cabot Trail. We're looking for suggestions on where to go, what to see. We enjoy natural scenery and seeing 'different' things. We're slightly restricted on walking so things like hiking is out.

We'd also like to hear opinions on whether reservations are necessary, especially for mid-week stays.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
12 REPLIES 12

musika
Explorer
Explorer
How much time overall do you want to spend, and how much time do you prefer to drive every day? PEI and the Cabot trail look close on the map but it's a fairly significant drive between the two.

You will definitely need reservations. Our camping season is very short (June-Oct for some provincial campgrounds) so even mid-week can be tricky at the more popular ones (Caribou-Munroes Island for example, which is awesomely placed for the PEI ferry). Be aware that one of our major national park campgrounds, Keji, is closed this summer so competition will be more fierce than usual, especially for mainland spots. Provincial booking opens in early April for NS.

The Cabot Trail is a very outdoorsy destination. There are a few trails here and there that are accessible - look for the green ones - they are colour coded by difficulty on the map.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We did cabot trail in 25 foot class C...new to us but 8 years old. I think that road is best done in a car. After we were done (he did not check the brakes like I asked before we went and found out on the trail) I told him I would not do it again if someone paid me a million bucks. He said for a million bucks he would liquor me up and off we would go...LOL.

Anyway pick a campground and take a toad.

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
You need to make reservations for the National Parks in mid January. you won't have any problems with your rig. Fundy Cape Breton Cheticamp and Cavendish in PEI all have full hookups.

mish1100
Explorer
Explorer
We recently drove from Ontario to Nova Scotia and did a youtube series on it if you'd like to check it out. We also did the cabot trail and highly recommend going up to Meat Cove (see the video on Meat Cove , the scenery is breath taking). If you have any more questions let me know, I'd be happy to help. It was an amazing trip and we hope to do it again in the fall someday. We did it with our 2 year old and our 4 year old.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLciVC3g50ymWS2p93KkIOJkKyOca7OBPM

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're looking to visit in July as well, and have started to look at websites. I like the looks of Five Islands Provincial Park, and am also looking at the Acadian coast down near Digby.

I didn't really consider the Cabot Trail, but now in reading these posts, I'm going to look into it. I'd just have to find a good base camp.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
You may catch whales, check in with the captain in Lunenberg, home of the Bluenose- the ship on the dime. We also stopped at Blue Rocks and Peggy's Cove. Cafe Abod in Halifax, and the Lobster Pound in North Sydney are excellent.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
esyers wrote:
Thanks for all the tips. I neglected to say we would probably be driving the Cabot Trail with the toad on day trips and leaving the coach parked.

We're in the really early stages of looking and are interested in what others have found interesting. I will be ordering the Provincial guide books.

My thought was that July/August would be more difficult, but unfortunately September is not available for us.

In that case, concentrate on all things "Cape Breton" as that's the part of NS that has the Cabot Trail. There are a few places in Port Hawkesbury where you can drop the base camp, and drive your toad, or rent something like a Jeep to drive the Cabot Trail. Stop in at the Herring Choker Deli cafe, in Baddeck, if you're nearby.

If you decide to go "tourist", and head south towards Peggy's Cove, there's a bakery called the "White Sails" that's worth a visit along the way.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. I neglected to say we would probably be driving the Cabot Trail with the toad on day trips and leaving the coach parked.

We're in the really early stages of looking and are interested in what others have found interesting. I will be ordering the Provincial guide books.

My thought was that July/August would be more difficult, but unfortunately September is not available for us.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned to the States about a week ago from 7 weeks in NS and PEI. We made reservations all over, which we hated to do. But sometimes we couldn't even get our first choice of campgrounds, or our preferred site/area in a campground. (Reserved 2-3 months in advance of our trip.) Our friends who didn't make reservations had to settle for an alternate campground a ways away from their first choice in a certain town.

We basically started in Nova Scotia in Halifax for the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo show. Made campground reservations and bought show tickets last year.

Went to Halifax, Digby, Lunenburg, Cape Breton. On PEI we stayed near Charlottetown and then Cabot Beach Provincial Park. Would recommend all. Lots of small town festivals in the summer. Loved those! Lots of fun contests at festivals...lobster trap hauling, rope splicing, oyster grading and shucking, fish tub wrestling, etc.

Bottle House on PEI is something "different" to see.

Take the ferry to PEI and leave via the bridge. You only pay when leaving and the bridge is cheaper than the ferry.

Get and read the NS and PEI travel guides, as mentioned. Full of information.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
We have been researching the same area as well, I downloaded the travel and tourist brochures on each Province website. They have many recommendations for all types of travelers, what to see, what to do, where to stay etc.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
After checking your profile, yes, you need to do your research and pick your spots wisely. A 35 foot rig does not fit into many spots. You will get a better response by being more specific as to what you want from a campsite, how long you want to stay at each, and from your desire to see the sights as you travel.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Cabot Trail, hmm? What are you driving? It's a bit "roller coaster" in spots. Some tight turns, too.
See if you can find a time lapse youtube vid of driving it before you decide.
As for the rest of your questions, reservations are always a good idea in July-August, as that's our unofficial summer season, too. Schools are out, and families are traveling. Both provinces will be busier than usual for all amenities.
If you can hold off until September-October, less so, and the crowds will be gone.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)