Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SUV for Towing

wpd909
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are interested in towing a 17 or 19 ft ultra light trailer using an SUV. We prefer not to go the Suburban or similar size route. Does anyone have experience with towing using an SUV such as a Toyota Highlander or something similar?

Thanks --- Ron
13 REPLIES 13

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
BMW F5 will get the job done and give you a great ride while doing it.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
lots of choices. I know first hand the grand Cherokee can pull well as can the explorer and sorento. Im sure there are others. Pay attention to payload and frontal area restrictions and make sure you have a proper hitch/anti sway setup.

Whats in the vehicle when you go? as someone who owns a newish explorer and f150 I would never buy the explorer for myself. the f150 was cheaper and is better at about everything (including fuel mileage) Only downfall is it doesn't have the 7th seatbelt that ive used once in the last 2 years.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I put 140,000 towing miles on a 2008 Highlander. I was towing 16' and 17' trailers for work and for recreation, with trailer weights between 2200 and 3500 lbs. It did well at 60-62 mph max speed in 4th gear (out of 5); on long grades I'd shift to 3rd and run mostly about 40-50 mph depending on the steepness. Stability was good (I kept 10%-15% of trailer weight on the tongue). By the time the odometer had 185,000 the transmission light was coming on when traveling those steep grades, and I thought about adding another tranny cooler but in the end I sold it and got a used Lexus GX470.

Keep in mind that the 3.5L V6 will do best with smaller frontal area trailers. My largest frontal area trailer was 7.5' wide by about 100" high.

There are some people on the Escape Trailer forum who tow 19' and even 21' Escapes (molded fiberglass made in BC) with newer Highlanders. I personally feel like 21' is pushing it a bit; one would definitely want an anti-sway hitch!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wpd909 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are interested in towing a 17 or 19 ft ultra light trailer using an SUV. We prefer not to go the Suburban or similar size route. Does anyone have experience with towing using an SUV such as a Toyota Highlander or something similar?

Thanks --- Ron

We towed our 27', 6000lb TT, with a 5.4, 3.55, 2004, Expedition. Did a GREAT job.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow with a 2002 Durango SLT Plus. It has a 6000lb tow capacity and a 1640lb payload. My trailer has a GVWR of 2250lbs. I have no trouble.

Starting around 2009, they went to a unibody style. So I cannot comment on that They just went back to the body-on-frame style.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
X5/Toureg/Audi are strong vehicles but the repair costs are a little exotic for someone who's thinking Highlander.

Spose I'd throw an Eco Boost Explorer in the mix too. Good durable vehicles or they wouldn't sell 100,000s of them as cop cars.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And don't even consider the Traverse/Acadia/Previous gen Trailblazer and its counterparts. Some of GMs poorer executions.
If you want a midsize SUV for towing, either older 4 runner V8 or pick your flavor of Durango/Grand Cherokee.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Go for the longest wheelbase, to prevent that "tail wagging the dog" effect
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Might take a look at the Nissan Pathfinder it's rated up to 6,000lb towing. We have a 2018 model haven't towed anywhere near 6,000lb but have towed a little over 3,000 with no problem at all.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly wouldn't look at anything smaller than a Traverse / Acadia / X5. Chevy did bring back the Trailblazer but the specs limit the tow cap at 4500 lbs.

Tahoe/Yukon would be a better choice.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a neighbor that tows a 3000LB Single Axle Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 with a Ford Edge and a friend that tows the same trailer with a Chevy Traverse. Both say they tow their trailers just fine.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Can you estimate the wet/loaded weight of the TT? Who and what will you be carrying in the SUV?

Personally I like the dog wagging the tail, not the tail wagging dog.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
BMW X5 diesel, 2012 vintage. Tows 5,000 lbs like a dream, full height/width 21 foot TT. Get years 2012-2018. $20,000 to $80,000. Get one with 3rd row seats to get auto leveling suspension.