Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: SUV for Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> SUV for Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wpd909 wrote:

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are interested in towing a 17 or 19 ft ultra light trailer using an SUV. We prefer not to go the Suburban or similar size route. Does anyone have experience with towing using an SUV such as a Toyota Highlander or something similar?

Thanks --- Ron

We towed our 27', 6000lb TT, with a 5.4, 3.55, 2004, Expedition. Did a GREAT job.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put 140,000 towing miles on a 2008 Highlander. I was towing 16' and 17' trailers for work and for recreation, with trailer weights between 2200 and 3500 lbs. It did well at 60-62 mph max speed in 4th gear (out of 5); on long grades I'd shift to 3rd and run mostly about 40-50 mph depending on the steepness. Stability was good (I kept 10%-15% of trailer weight on the tongue). By the time the odometer had 185,000 the transmission light was coming on when traveling those steep grades, and I thought about adding another tranny cooler but in the end I sold it and got a used Lexus GX470.

Keep in mind that the 3.5L V6 will do best with smaller frontal area trailers. My largest frontal area trailer was 7.5' wide by about 100" high.

There are some people on the Escape Trailer forum who tow 19' and even 21' Escapes (molded fiberglass made in BC) with newer Highlanders. I personally feel like 21' is pushing it a bit; one would definitely want an anti-sway hitch!

* This post was edited 08/18/19 06:21pm by rexlion *

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 03:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots of choices. I know first hand the grand Cherokee can pull well as can the explorer and sorento. Im sure there are others. Pay attention to payload and frontal area restrictions and make sure you have a proper hitch/anti sway setup.

Whats in the vehicle when you go? as someone who owns a newish explorer and f150 I would never buy the explorer for myself. the f150 was cheaper and is better at about everything (including fuel mileage) Only downfall is it doesn't have the 7th seatbelt that ive used once in the last 2 years.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BMW F5 will get the job done and give you a great ride while doing it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> SUV for Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS