Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dumb problem with blue ox tow bar hookup

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

For 5 years I have been towing a Jeep Wrangler behind my Winnebago View. I have a blue ox setup. It works like a charm, but I have one problem - a thick steel pin slides through the tow arms from the motorhome and receiving brackets on that are put onto the jeep tow bar when you are ready to tow. This in turn is held in with a cotter pin. The cotter pin is in turn "locked" into place with a circular piece of steel that is off center in the way it ia attached - this keeps it in place. I know this sounds confusing, but to anyone who has used it, you should immediately recognize what I mean.

Here's the problem, if the pin is put in top to bottom, after towing for a time it turns a bit and gets stuck on the metal of the tow arm. You need a hammer to get it out. It seems this just cannot be right. The one way I can avoid this is to install the pin from bottom to top, but even with those circular locks, it just does not seem safe.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If my description is impossible to understand, I'll post pics.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So many different types of hitch pins, lock pins, spring clips, locks, etc.
go browse the hardware store and find something that suits your application and works better than what you have if itโ€™s a problem.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
MAKE sure the "fingers that match the tow bar and pin should be such that when you put the PIN in, it is going horizontally and then put the SNAP PIN in the hole of the big pin holding the fingers so they mate to the thing that comes out from the car base plate. I do not understand how your snap pin is getting wedged into the fingers. I have a Blue Ox tow bar etc and am about to have a base plate put on a used jeep I bought, I now am using a Smart
Car and it was easy and hope the JEEP is as easy!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Always have used the spring pins, and always carry a couple of extras. Have lost several over the years, and have had some stolen. Have NEVER had one come out. You do need to relieve tension on the hitch or the main pins can be very difficult.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea on the pad locks. Appreciate the help that says it couldnโ€™t possibly happen if installed correctly.

Iโ€™m going to try the locking pins.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I use pad locks. Can get then keyed alike and canโ€™t be disconnected until the lock is removed. Canโ€™t be removed by anyone else while your having lunch either
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
The only way they could stick if installed correctly is if your bracket is grooved because of them being installed incorrectly.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Actually looking again, I am putting them in the correct way. As your picture shows, they are tightly jammed against the bar. In my case even worse. When they get hot from a long day of driving, they get really wedged. They were not put in the wrong way, and still jam. As in the correct picture, even the thinner orientation of the pin jams against the tow arm metal.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
So to be honest, the reason I never did it the correct way is as your picture shows, the ring does not close down completely to the rest of the assembly. If thatโ€™s ok, then it is clear what you are showing will avoid the problem!

Really grateful for the help.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
I never even thought that someone would put the locking pins in the wrong way. It seems obvious to me which way they go, but I've only been using a Blue Ox setup for about 17 years. If they didn't wedge, they probably could fall out. Now I have something else to think about every time a MH towing something passes me.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The heads on those lynch pins are not symmetrical. They only go in one way (correctly). You can jam them in the wrong way and have the problem the OP had.

Incorrect

Correct

Those locking pins are great until they load up with road grime.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, just ordered from amazon.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox BX88101 two 1/2 locks and one 5/8 Lock Kit
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
The "big pin" is indeed horizontal. The little pin that holds that in is vertical. The idea of switching the orientation may work, I'll try that. I also saw the locking pins, may try that.

Thanks all, anyone else that this problem?

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, there is no top to bottom.