Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare Tire question- doesnt match our new TT tires

melloftus
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
So I ordered 5 new tires online from Americas Tire ( Discount Tires) Carlisle ST205/75/R14 100M BSB load C - Had them shipped to the store and made an appt for yesterday to have all 5 mounted/balanced and put on our trailer before our trip next weekend. Somehow I guess they put our 5th tire on someones elses rig the day before so they did not have the tire to put on the spare. They ended up putting on a goodyear endurance which is the same size tire but a D rating. They didnt charge us for the upgraded tire nor did they charge us for the mounting/balance installation. My question is should I request that they order the tire I purchased and have the goodyear replaced with that? They offered to do this for us if we like. My concern is that it is a different rated tire and if we need to use it we would have a hard time finding a like for like tire for the Carlisle ST205/75/R14 100M BSB in the future.
I am not nuts about having a different brand/load rated tire for our spare even if it is a better tire.
Am I worrying over nothing?
23 REPLIES 23

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I won’t buy LR Cs. Ds are tuffer.

Ds are tougher and Es even tougher still.
Es. have stronger sidewalls and I like em better towing in curves.

Either are better than any Passenger tire.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you intend to do a five tire rotation I would prefer to have all five the same. If it is a spare and you do a lot of towing, I would keep it and buy three of the same kind when the others wore out.

If you do not do a lot of towing, you have a dandy spare.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I think the Endurance D is a better tire and I would run as presented.

Yep and I would have bought the American tires in the first place. At least now when the china bombs blow off, you will have an american tires to replace it with.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
melloftus wrote:

IMO you're worrying over the wrong issue as the Goodyear Endurance is superior to the Carlisle HD tires you ordered. A couple years ago one of the stock Chinese tires on my Coachmen split for no apparent reason and before ordering a new set of tires I compared the Endurance LR D to the same size Carlisle HD LR D. Putting my full weight on an unmounted Endurance the tire barely deflected at all, did the same with the Carlisle and it collapsed noticeably. Not saying the Carlisle HD isn't a decent tire, just that the Endurance which is manufactured in the US is demonstrably better.

The tech at Discount tire had me do the same thing with those same 2 tires. The Goodyear was much stiffer and beefier. They have 2 steel belts, 2 poyester and 2 nylon belts.They also weigh 3lbs
more than the same size Carlisle which only have 2 steel and 2 polyester belts. And yes they are made in the USA.
Just say no to the payload police :C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, this is 1000% not an issue if the tire is the same size. and you actually get 1 tire that is purportedly of better quality than the other 4.
It's some of the fickle responses on here that make customer service a challenge....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the 'don't worry about it' camp.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
allen8106 wrote:
Personally I would ask them to put all Endurance on and remove the Carlisle, just my humble opinion.

Like personally for free or for the upcharge to Endurance tires?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would ask them to put all Endurance on and remove the Carlisle, just my humble opinion.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
op wrote:

JMO but your worrying over a non issue.
Having owned as many as eight trailers at a time (non rv) with five on the road daily (28 tires on the road) many never had the same tire brand or size or load range spare tire. However they were all close to the same diameter and load capacity.
The only down side I found was in a different tread pattern...or load range....or tire diameter on the same axle could cause uneven braking on that axle especially on wet pavement. Usually causing one tire to lose traction.
When I buy new tires for a tandem axle trailer I buy 4.....or 6 for my triaxle trailers. JMO but buying a new tire that may never see the road was a waste of my hard earned money.

I use LT tires so most trailers spare tires saw little road use. I look at a spare as a tire to get me back on the road to the nearest tire dealer to fix or replace the flat tire.

The Endurance and Carlisle HD both are new tires from their MFG and have been out just over two years. Both seem to have about the same service record (good) so I wouldn't say one in better than the other.

We need a LIKE button.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:

JMO but your worrying over a non issue.
Having owned as many as eight trailers at a time (non rv) with five on the road daily (28 tires on the road) many never had the same tire brand or size or load range spare tire. However they were all close to the same diameter and load capacity.
The only down side I found was in a different tread pattern...or load range....or tire diameter on the same axle could cause uneven braking on that axle especially on wet pavement. Usually causing one tire to lose traction.
When I buy new tires for a tandem axle trailer I buy 4.....or 6 for my triaxle trailers. JMO but buying a new tire that may never see the road was a waste of my hard earned money.

I use LT tires so most trailers spare tires saw little road use. I look at a spare as a tire to get me back on the road to the nearest tire dealer to fix or replace the flat tire.

The Endurance and Carlisle HD both are new tires from their MFG and have been out just over two years. Both seem to have about the same service record (good) so I wouldn't say one in better than the other.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with the Endurance being a better tire, however, I would want all running tires the same tread, and load range. If you have a flat and have it repaired, I would then use the repaired tire for the spare. If you keep the GYE, you would lose that option.

My opinion, keep all 5 tires the same, have them get the right spare for you.

Jerry

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Will not hurt a thing.If it was mine I wouldn't worry a bit about it.Really come down to you.If it worries you have them get you the matching tire.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
just my .02cts you should worry more about the carlisle tires , they don,t have a very good rep.
Carlisle makes six different lines of trailer tires.
If the OP has the Radial Trail HD they have a good rep going for several years. The other I don't know.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/high-speed-trailer-wheels

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing to worry about. Nothing to be upset about. they gave you a better tire. Go with it. Its a trailer, not a car, or truck. It don't care what is on it, as long as it is close. trailers don't even care if one is radial, and one is bias. It's just a nonissue
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers