cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Louisiana to Hershey, Pa. Which Route????

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
I will be heading to Hershey, PA. the first week of Oct. Looking at Goggle Maps it has me going I-81. I'm sure it's good road just not sure how much if any of the mountains I will encounter. Pulling a 38' camper through mountains does not appeal to me. Don't mind some but not a bunch of up and down and switchbacks. Any one travel this way and have ideas or suggestions? Also looking for a couple of overnight stops about 450-500 from La and then another 375-425 from there before getting to Hershey.

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Todd
8 REPLIES 8

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Mike.....are you still in our neighborhood? memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Todd and memtb!
Mike from BR

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
todd j wrote:
I will be heading to Hershey, PA. the first week of Oct. Looking at Goggle Maps it has me going I-81. I'm sure it's good road just not sure how much if any of the mountains I will encounter. Pulling a 38' camper through mountains does not appeal to me. Don't mind some but not a bunch of up and down and switchbacks. Any one travel this way and have ideas or suggestions? Also looking for a couple of overnight stops about 450-500 from La and then another 375-425 from there before getting to Hershey.

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Todd

Todd,I-81 is an excellent interstate to travel on....some trucks but no big deal
Like I'M have said...stop at the Flying J in Winchester,cheapest fuel ..Pa is much higher....also in West Va ...exit 23....is Falling Waters campground....decent place to stay
Not sure of how your mileage plays out.....but exit 80 off 81 there is Ft Chiswell campground...excellent overnight stop ,all pull thrus.....and then Lexington,Va...exit 195 is Lee Hi Campground behind a truck stop..but a really nice overnight stop.....but you have to determine which of the 3 fit into your mileage....C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Hills should be no issue.
Just remember when you stop in Winchester to stow your firearms in the camper before crossing into Maryland.
Oh the irony.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
81 is good. We travel it a lot. Many Flying J's along the way.Most with separate RV islands. They offer a discount for Good Sam members and if you have the Flying J card, you get 8 cents a gallon off diesel. Be sure you fill up at the Winchester,VA Flying J as gas and diesel is much higher here than in VA. If you want a good over night stop, Claytor Lake State Park in southern VA is good with water and electric hookups and some pull throughs.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve made that trip many times. A few minor hills. Nothing to worry about.
Larry

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Todd! Todd here from Zachary! I canโ€™t offer any help for your trip, but thought Iโ€™d say hello!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
81 should not be a problem, the mountains aren't that steep or long.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.