cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike Rack That Won't Interfere with Dinghy

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Really, this question applies to all A's and C's. Before I buy a bike rack (would like a 4 bike rack but 2 would do) what do you guys use for a rear bumper type rack for your motorhome?

I almost bought a spare tire bike carrier -- for use on our Jeep that we use as a dinghy -- but we don't always take the dinghy. Sometimes we just pop in the Class C and stay put for a weekend or more at the campsite.

Appreciate some models / types of bike carriers that worked for you. Yes, I've googled / amazon'd / camping world online, etc racks but hoped for real world experience/good luck / bad luck.
10 REPLIES 10

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI am aware of the bounce, etc. from a bumper mounted bike rack.โ€œ

On a TT? Which manufacturer okayed a TT bumper mounted rack?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just slightly off topic but we really like the foldup Dahon bikes that can be stored almost anywhere after they fold up.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've put a receiver hitch on the front of our Class C, and carried our bikes there. The biggest problem driving is if you drive at night the bikes some what block your head lights, and the lights reflect back a little.
Driving expressways at night is not too bad, but driving regular roads at night is a pain.

Dusty

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I had Swagman in mind, and the dual receiver adapter is a great option. I'll look into it. Having had several TT's over the past 25 years, I am aware of the bounce, etc. from a bumper mounted bike rack.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
X3 on the Swagman racks. They mount in the hitch receiver and in the case of towing your car, simply get a dual hitch receiver. Been using this combo 7 years and no issues. The Swagman racks are so easy to use and load. I can load 3 bikes in less than a minute. As far as bouncing - my swagman has a threaded pin so it's self tightening. For the receivers - I drilled a 3/8 hole in the side of each receiver and threaded it. I put a 3/8 bolt in and it snugs it up.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yakima RoadTrip bike rack (hitch mount) that I use with my motorhome; it's one that is RV rated, and I've been quite happy with it.

I'd think something like that would work fine for you. If you have the Jeep, put the bike rack on the Jeep's hitch; if you don't, put it on the motorhome's hitch. If you don't have a hitch receiver on the Jeep, I suspect it would not be overly expensive to get and install one.

I certainly would not trust any bike rack attached to my motorhome's bumper. Maybe yours is different and more solidly constructed.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Swagman RV Approved Traveler XC2 mounted in my 2 inch receiver on the rear of my Class C.

Very happy with it,easy to load and I like the way it folds so I can get to the rear door of my large storage area without having to take it off.

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing any damage to the bike rack.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check the warranty of the rack to be sure they recommend their brand/model behind an RV, but even if so, it's still up to you keep it secure due to statutes in most states. If a bike falls off, it's your baby not Thule's .

My 24' E450 has a tendency to pound over bumps because its underloaded. I feel much more stress would be placed on any bike rack installed on the rear of my type of MH. Therefore I decided to leave the bikes at home .

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have an HF dual receiver which I had modified to have 12" separation vs the 6". Then I have a Hollywood bike rack in the upper section. Pleny of room for the toad; no interference.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Have a swagman 4 bike rack that attaches to motorhome hitch but does not interfere with tow bar. They have many types. I like the fact that the bikes are on the motorhome and I can use the toad without dragging along the bikes. I forget the exact model I have but seem to remember Traveler.