cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mechanical Bay Project

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
This project corrected multiple inadequacies/deficiencies in our 5th wheel.

The basement storage area in the RV is quite large, and the aft port bulkhead has a semi-removable (screw-attached) panel that closes off and protects the mechanical compartment.

It contains the water heater, shore line electric reel, water pump, hoses and manifolds, and electricity (automatic) transfer switch.

One of the lesser items that I addressed was attempting to organize and loom various. I also placed witness/identification labels to mark specific feeds on both electric and water lines.

The first element was to โ€œlet there be lightโ€. The compartment is a quite dark cul-de-sac that has little penetrating ambient light.

The basement itself has two LED ceiling fixtures, and I was able to parallel from one of those to accomplish two issues: power and switching. The switching issue was a requirement because upon completion the mechanical room light would need to be energized remotely.

I purchased a pair of Kohree https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8CW8Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 light fixtures and replaced the single fixture that was in the Kitchen.

I used the single fixture that was in the kitchen as a ceiling light in the mechanical bay, and wired the light in parallel with the switch to an existing LED fixture in the RV basement storage area. This gave me the ability to turn the mechanical bay light on from the other side of the aforementioned screwed in panel. Why would someone want a light on in a closed-off compartment? So that you can look through the new window that I installed in the formerly solid panel.

I wanted to be able to easily view this area to check for leaks, etc. without having to remove the panel. One 12โ€ x 18โ€ x 1/8โ€ sheet of acrylic plexiglass, some Gorilla Brand Silicone caulk and Gorilla brand tape (belt and suspenders), and a 10โ€ x 16โ€ hole, and a window occurs. Here are several photos:

Loomed, labeled and semi-organized:

Mech room compartment panel with window installed:

Straight and side views through the window:

In addition to the light, and window and the housekeeping items, I also added a Camco 23303 1/2" Back-Flow Preventer check valve to the supply side of the water pump. The pump is efficient and strong, but itโ€™s weak point is a check valve that historically leaks/backflows and allows the fresh water holding tank to overflow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDUTN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the check valve that I used, and you can see it plumbed in the following photos.

I have obtained lots of ideas from others, so I hope this might help someone.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW
4 REPLIES 4

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you gentlemen all.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work, like your idea of using a sharpie to mark water flow.

On our AF 27-5L our similar area was mostly unused space with a few plumbing vents and incoming waterlines. I repurposed it after installing solar to house 4 AGM Batteries.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job! When youโ€™re done there.....Weโ€™ve got a few projects that you could tackle! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I like the window idea there. Mine is all enclosed. Took that panel off once, what a mess of wires, electronics, and pipes.

Nice job there,...impressive!