Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rough Ride
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rough Ride

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
handsome51

Baytown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyoung47 wrote:

Last fall, I installed a set of Sailun tires on my Montana, upgrading to G rated tires. I’m running only 90-95 pounds in the tires. They are shaking the camper quite a bit. Last week, we cravked three crock pots on the way home. Does anyone else experience this?

No body mentioned about getting a good air hitch either a 25k air safe hitch with the binkley holland head or a Hensley air hitch. That makes a difference on how the RV and the truck rides.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weigh your tires, use the weight/inflation chart for the heaviest tire on each axle and add 5psi. Each axle may have the same psi or may not.

I'm betting 80-85psi.

Class Dismissed!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to play with air pressure a bit, and see if I can mitigate some of the issues. Selling/replacing the tires is not a realistic option, since I don't want to throw $700-800 bucks away.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyoung47 wrote:

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to play with air pressure a bit, and see if I can mitigate some of the issues. Selling/replacing the tires is not a realistic option, since I don't want to throw $700-800 bucks away.

Bet you could put Endurance on the same wheels and sell the Sailuns and wouldn't be OOP more than 200-300, at most.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Which Provider do you like?

Lyle

oops...slow to answer as we had a water line break and flooded the house so were in one hell of a mess around here.
Taskmaster has only one Provider ST series tire.

Taskmaster has the Provider ST and a low cost very cheap made Contender ST.
Some adds are calling the Contenders a Provider....which there not.

Check out Taskmasters products website.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyoung47 wrote:

I went from "E" to "G" GY's. The "E" tries were ran at 80psi because the load dictated that. The G's were ran at 85 because load dictated 80 and GY recommends when up sizing load range to add 5psi to what the chart says.

The tires wore perfectly and ride was great over many thousands of miles. Weigh your rig!

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a tire is rated for 110 psi and ran less psi, wouldn't this cause a issue due to "under inflation"? Still think a name brand E ply LT tire is best bet. Ran LT's on our '06 Cedar Creek (13,800 fully loaded) at 80 psi for 12 years and no probs.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

If a tire is rated for 110 psi and ran less psi, wouldn't this cause a issue due to "under inflation"? Still think a name brand E ply LT tire is best bet. Ran LT's on our '06 Cedar Creek (13,800 fully loaded) at 80 psi for 12 years and no probs.

I ran Michelin XPS Ribs and Bridgestone Duravis R250s on our 12,400 lb 5er for years. Original LT235/85R16E china bombs called for 65 psi. I found that the Ribs were wearing a little more in the out edges so I upper inflation to 71 PSI and had even wear. Inflation is based on the load the tires actually carry, not their maximum inflation. In several calls to Michelin, they always stated that over inflation for the load carried can lead to impact damage and reduced braking ability.

Tires state MAX Load XXXX at YYY PSI. On passenger car and LT tires there on inflation charts that are universal across all brands for the same size and load range tire.

Along came cheap ST tires and it is my belief that inflation to max side number is just a bandaid that manufactures tried to stick on the tires, because high failure rates. Finally after many years there are now better ST tires available.

Inflation charts for ST tires seem to vary by manufacture if they exist at all, as they comply with different standards(think lesser).

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

ACZL wrote:

I ran Michelin XPS Ribs and Bridgestone Duravis R250s on our 12,400 lb 5er for years. Original LT235/85R16E china bombs called for 65 psi. I found that the Ribs were wearing a little more in the out edges so I upper inflation to 71 PSI and had even wear. Inflation is based on the load the tires actually carry, not their maximum inflation. In several calls to Michelin, they always stated that over inflation for the load carried can lead to impact damage and reduced braking ability.

Tires state MAX Load XXXX at YYY PSI. On passenger car and LT tires there on inflation charts that are universal across all brands for the same size and load range tire.

Along came cheap ST tires and it is my belief that inflation to max side number is just a bandaid that manufactures tried to stick on the tires, because high failure rates. Finally after many years there are now better ST tires available.

Inflation charts for ST tires seem to vary by manufacture if they exist at all, as they comply with different standards(think lesser).

Still a little puzzled because most blowouts from what I gather are due to underinflation.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BALANCE YOUR TIRES! Tire shops do not usually balance trailer tires BUT if you don't it can shake the camper to bits.

Running G rated tires at less than maximum pressure will not likely cause shaking as long as the pressure used is adequate for the trailer weight. Goodyear publishes an inflation chart for their G614's for that very purpose. On mine I run 90 psi.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rough Ride
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS