Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Hydraulic jack
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hydraulic jack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd recommend a scissors jack for the job. You need something short to get under the axle with a flat tire. The scissors jack is just the tool for that. They are also a lot more stable than a bottle jack that can sink in the ground and tip over as the load gets heavy when the tire comes off the ground. I see they are also offered in electric models.
[image]
Performance Tool W1600 1-1/2 Ton (3,000l........acity Scissor Jack, 4" - 15" Lift Range

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lie the floor (Also called Trolly) jacks. 5000 pounds is 2 1/2 tons and you will likely never need to lift all of it. 2 Ton is a very common size and should work great.. Also way easier if the Truck has a flat trust me.. I keep on in my towed's trunk.. (Along with a bit of lumber there is not enough clearance on the towed for the jack so I jack it up a bit. Block it and reposition and then do the job).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a hand operated hydraulic remote pump, and plumbed it into my hydraulic jack. It works very well, and it is nice to be able to kneel beside our mh rather lay under it, while jacking it up.

Dusty

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a hand operated hydraulic remote pump, and plumbed it into my hydraulic jack. It works very well, and it is nice to be able to kneel beside our mh rather lay under it, while jacking it up.

Dusty

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I lie the floor (Also called Trolly) jacks. 5000 pounds is 2 1/2 tons and you will likely never need to lift all of it. 2 Ton is a very common size and should work great.. Also way easier if the Truck has a flat trust me.. I keep on in my towed's trunk.. (Along with a bit of lumber there is not enough clearance on the towed for the jack so I jack it up a bit. Block it and reposition and then do the job).

The problem with a floor jack is often when you need to change a tire you are missing a important part of safe operation, the smooth hard floor. As the lift plate goes up, it travels a arc in relation to the trolley. On a floor, as the load goes up, the jack moves under the load. But on a rough or soft surface, the lift plate must slide on the load, and it falls.
When shopping for jack, think about will it fit under the lift point when tire is flat. Will it lift far enough to get the spare on? Sure, you can pull the flat on a ramp.
IMHO, one thing everybody that drives should do is pick a nice day and change a tire on their vehicle and trailer. Learn what you need to do to jack it up. What wrench fits the lugs. Can you turn it, or do you need a longer handle? Does the wrench fit the nuts that hold the spare? Think about it. Do you want to go to school at night, in the rain, with traffic wizzing past?
BTW, I have a bunch of hydraulic jacks. But I only carry the one that came with pickup. Plenty capacity, plenty of stroke. But I will pull flat on block, so can spin jack up, only need handle for short lift. As soon as flat tire is off block, remove wheel and block, am high enough to put tire back on.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's interesting, the info about floor jacks. I've seen what you are talking about but never figured out what the problem was.

One tool everyone should carry is one of these Gorilla wrench, which will remove those lug nuts that the tire shop overtightened with their impact wrench.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

That's interesting, the info about floor jacks. I've seen what you are talking about but never figured out what the problem was.

One tool everyone should carry is one of these Gorilla wrench, which will remove those lug nuts that the tire shop overtightened with their impact wrench.

Well, the "tire shop overtightened" is not a issue for me. If I can't watch them put wheels on my ship, they only get my business once, and I loosen and torque the nuts myself. If I watch, and they do not torque, they don't get paid.
I carry long breaker bar in each of my vehicles. And I use 6 pt deepwell impact socket of the correct size for the nuts (Northern tool, to keep my sets together, I buy cheap impact sockets one at time) Under DW's car, and our pickup, I have painted marks to show where to put the jack. I would hope somebody would help her, but with tools she has available in trunk and between the ears my 65+ YO wife can change tire on her car, or the pickup.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the jack MDK linked in the second post. It has a nice wide top for stability. The one that came with our class C had a top the size of a dollar coin. I welded a better top on but am a bit worried my weld might break.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hydraulic jack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS