cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get dealer info I need on battery charging

4005voltage
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys/gals, we’ve purchased a new 4005 voltage and can’t keep batteries to hold a charge.
This last trip out I dropped the gear and ran out of power to even unhook or start gen.
Ran to town and bought 2 6v golf cart batteries. Plenty of reserve power now but do I dare plug the camper in and forget it until we pull out again? Will the chargers in the newer trailers stop when the battery’s are charged?
Tried for two day to get an answer from keystone and kept getting transferred because no one seemed to know how the charging system works.
Thanks in advance,Andy
16 REPLIES 16

4005voltage
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
You should be good to go with the 68100. The voltage should drop to 13.6 in about 4 hours of 14+ and then with minimal use should drop again to 13.2 volts in a few days.

If you are expecting a fast charge and charging voltage is below 13.7 give a push on that boost button on the front.

Although since it is a WFCO it is best to monitor things periodically.

Perfect, thanks to all. I’m getting this figured out????

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be good to go with the 68100. The voltage should drop to 13.6 in about 4 hours of 14+ and then with minimal use should drop again to 13.2 volts in a few days.

If you are expecting a fast charge and charging voltage is below 13.7 give a push on that boost button on the front.

Although since it is a WFCO it is best to monitor things periodically.

4005voltage
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so my investor is a wfco model# wf-68100a.
I’ve read the specs online and don’t see anything about charging batteries.
I’m so confused, I may go back to a tent!!
I don’t know if it ok to just leave it plugged in or charge the batteries up and unplug the trailer.
I did find a five star rated battery percentage monitor so I’ll atleast know the status??

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the meter I bought for RV

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Voltmeter-DROK-Voltage-Detector/dp/B00C2NTJHS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=12+...

Meter for 48V golf carts.

Red numbers https://www.amazon.com/Femitu-Waterproof-Voltmeter-4-5-150V-Automative/dp/B00P7FX0JG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_...

Blue numbers https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-5-150V-Automative-Motorcycle-Voltmeter/dp/B00NZV7K3G/ref=sr_1_fk...
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

Where did you tap into; direct to the battery or on a hot line in the panel?

Lyle

12V in the panel, from the slideout circuit if I remember correctly. Nice larger gauge wire feeding it. Other loads are not on the same 12V supply circuit, so is seems to be very accurate. Chris

Moderator edit to take out unnecessary quotes.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Panel mounted digital volt meters are cheap on the internet. I installed a on/off switch on this one. Have a similar one in our 48V golf cart.

I like it! Gives me another idea. In my golf cart, it shows level of charge. I could probably take the exact same meter and install it.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
philh wrote:
If the charger/convertor is WFCO, replace it.

Install a 12V digital meter somewhere you can view.

Panel mounted digital volt meters are cheap on the internet. I installed a on/off switch on this one. Have a similar one in our 48V golf cart.

Where did you tap into; direct to the battery or on a hot line in the panel?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
If you hook the batteries up correctly the charger won't know or care that they are six volt.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 4005voltage,

Welcome to the forums.

Battery chargers for RV's are referred to as "converters". To answer your question we need to know the make and model of the particular converter.

Since you have golf cart batteries the maximum charging voltage would be best at about 14.8. It is unlikely the existing converter does that. I'm not saying the existing converter will not meet your needs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find who makes the charger and ask them.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
14.1 is a good start. If you can get the model number of the converter we could know what to expect. In general yes the voltage should drop to 13.2 to 13.6 in a few hours and the battery will be fine.

The 12 Volt Side of Life