Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Short Class A suitable for boon docking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Short Class A suitable for boon docking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dcason

New York

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be looking to buy new or used Shorter Class A - 24 to 27' maybe. But needs to be high enough (not low rider) to be taken boon docking/gravel/some dirt roads...but not 4x 4 obviously.
Would like a king or two twin bed. Any ideas? NOT diesel as hubby needs to be able to work on it.


Our Blog

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 10/26/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More importantly is the size of the fresh water tank and holding tanks for boon docking. Our old 32H Bounder has 100 gallons of fresh water and 2 50 gallon waste tanks. We're good for 7-10 day before we have to dump.

Richard


If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the "for what it's worth" category, my insurance has a clause that specifically states the rv is not to be driven off a paved or serviceable road surface more than 50'. Any damage - to anything - as a result would be a denied claim.

Pretty much most manufacturers make a small Gas class a 26-27'. Most are on the F53 with 19" wheels. Not sure if that would manage where you plan to take it. Smaller A's like the Vegas are on the E450 chassis with 16" wheels.

dcason

New York

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

More importantly is the size of the fresh water tank and holding tanks for boon docking. Our old 32H Bounder has 100 gallons of fresh water and 2 50 gallon waste tanks. We're good for 7-10 day before we have to dump.

Richard


We currently have a class C and can go a week frugally so tanks in an A would be better! Didn't think of that...thank you!

dcason

New York

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

In the "for what it's worth" category, my insurance has a clause that specifically states the rv is not to be driven off a paved or serviceable road surface more than 50'. Any damage - to anything - as a result would be a denied claim.

Pretty much most manufacturers make a small Gas class a 26-27'. Most are on the F53 with 19" wheels. Not sure if that would manage where you plan to take it. Smaller A's like the Vegas are on the E450 chassis with 16" wheels.


Hubby does all the repairs so what he sows he reaps! If he is going to treat it like an all terrain vehicle, he will be fixing it!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:

way2roll wrote:

In the "for what it's worth" category, my insurance has a clause that specifically states the rv is not to be driven off a paved or serviceable road surface more than 50'. Any damage - to anything - as a result would be a denied claim.

Pretty much most manufacturers make a small Gas class a 26-27'. Most are on the F53 with 19" wheels. Not sure if that would manage where you plan to take it. Smaller A's like the Vegas are on the E450 chassis with 16" wheels.


Hubby does all the repairs so what he sows he reaps! If he is going to treat it like an all terrain vehicle, he will be fixing it!



[emoticon]

camperdave

northern, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/21/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:


We currently have a class C and can go a week frugally so tanks in an A would be better! Didn't think of that...thank you!


What are you wanting to be different while boondocking in an A vs your current C?


2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/21/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had our Newmar off the hard pavement several times. That is where the best boondocking site are.
Drive the road first, make certain it is suitable for the RV and that you won't have to back it out.


2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2001

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 1994-2000 Safari Treks have several 24-28ft models. They're old but of much better quality than anything built today. Most have a big bathroom across the back. The queensize bed is stored up at the ceiling during the day and a motor drops it at night. You should be able to find a few on RV Trader.

Check their support site: Trek Traxs You might need to join but membership is free. There's plenty of support when it's needed.


Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System


micpib1

Trinity County, Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have a 2018 Jayco Alante 26X. We have been buying a new Motorhome every couple of years, as our needs seem to change. This Class A provided me an "office space" in the front (I still work a little on the road), a Living Room with a TV for some indoor family time, a queen bed in the rear, a Bathroom that I actually fit into and a front Bunk for my Granddaughter that lives with us full time. I downsized from a Fleetwood Diesel Pusher that had very poor ground clearance. The Alante, even with 19" wheels (verses the 22.5 on the Fleetwood has provided ample ground clearance for our Boondocking excursions. The big ol Diesel Pusher had a much better ride than the Alante, but we prefer to "Camp" vs staying at a RV Resort, just personal preference I guess. The Alante also provided an outside TV under a large power awning for those times when I need my own space. There was a noticable decrease in our outside storage, but when we started transfering our "stuff" over to the smaller rig, we decided to only transfer the stuff that we have actually used within the last year, not the stuff that we brought along just in case... we had plenty of room for our actual needs. So far, Jayco has been pretty good about taking care of any issues that have come up. Fleetwood also stepped up for our issues, I wish I could say the same for Forest River on our Class C Forester. Anyway, find what works for your needs and enjoy it, knowing that others needs will be different. Anyway, just my two cents worth. JH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Short Class A suitable for boon docking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS