cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate fees are going up in illinois

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped by my local DMV in IL and inquired about the new plate fee's and car/truck plates are going to $101.00 to $151.00 and RV trailer fee's are going from $30.00 to $130.00 starts jan 1st 2020 and they said all other plate fees were going up as well just didn't have information yet. Atleast I get to pay $30.00 for the TT in Dec this year but I'm hit with $151.00 in Jan with my truck gotta love the tax the state of Illinois to death.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "
19 REPLIES 19

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
crcr That's the way Kansas is tag fee plus property tax. Then if you purchase a new vehicle you have 9 percent sales tax. The kicker is you have to pay sales tax on a used vehicle as well. Vehicle 10 years old is at maximum devaluation and won't get any cheaper on property tax and tag fees. At one time Kansas had the dubious honor of having the highest tag fee's in the nation. They passed a bill lowering the fees on vehicles and RV'S but not boat's.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Some states have a license fee plus a separate property tax on vehicles. And there are other states that basically roll those two assessments into one registration charge (i.e., Arizona)

So when folks quote how much their plates cost, and perhaps there is also a property tax charge on top of that, if we don't know the total of both charges, we can't compare apples to apples, so to speak, when comparing state to state total costs to register a vehicle and traverse the roads in it.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
My wife asked why I made a larger payment to the Secretary of State this past week.....

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Someone has to pay for the mismanagement of Illinois (Chicago).

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
stevepk wrote:
This is just another reason by house is for sale. Leaving this state ASAP

Where would you move to in order to get lower registration costs?
When we lived in IL the rv plate I think was $104.
We moved to AZ and it was $1250.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like Tim Eyman needs to visit Illinois and fix the high license fees
Bob

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
campinginthewoods wrote:
Stopped by my local DMV in IL and inquired about the new plate fee's and car/truck plates are going to $101.00 to $151.00 and RV trailer fee's are going from $30.00 to $130.00 starts jan 1st 2020 and they said all other plate fees were going up as well just didn't have information yet. Atleast I get to pay $30.00 for the TT in Dec this year but I'm hit with $151.00 in Jan with my truck gotta love the tax the state of Illinois to death.

I assume that is per year?
In Oregon vehicle plates are some what cheap $112 for standard plates for two years. Except Washington and Multnomah County's In Multnomah County it is $150 for two years and in Washington county it is $172 for two years.
Our 32' 5er will cost $229.50 the rate is based on length fee goes from $81.00 to $317 25 for a 45' travel trailer/5er for two years.

Yes this is per year.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
campinginthewoods wrote:

That $151 plate fee is for cars and trucks under 8000 lbs. If your GVWR is over 8000 then you need a D plate that will be $250. I was told by a state trooper Illinois is going to start going after all the trucks that do not have the correct plates. If your GVWR is 8001 or more you need a D plate if your GVWR is 12001 or more you need a F plate. I was told fines will start at $1 per pound over.

I have a disabled plate and it will cost $151.00

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
zcookiemonstar wrote:
campinginthewoods wrote:

That $151 plate fee is for cars and trucks under 8000 lbs. If your GVWR is over 8000 then you need a D plate that will be $250. I was told by a state trooper Illinois is going to start going after all the trucks that do not have the correct plates. If your GVWR is 8001 or more you need a D plate if your GVWR is 12001 or more you need a F plate. I was told fines will start at $1 per pound over.

Just because the truck is rated for that does not mean it may ever weigh that much. That’s why you register it for the weight you are going to be at. It’s up to the driver to stay under the registered weight.

Think what you want I am just saying what a State Trooper
told me.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Left Illinois back in 1983. The plate for my TT is $36.10 here in Florida. Illinois politicians think the answer to everything is raising taxes. Pretty soon, there won’t be anybody left to pay those taxes.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
This is just another reason by house is for sale. Leaving this state ASAP
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
campinginthewoods wrote:

Just because the truck is rated for that does not mean it may ever weigh that much. That’s why you register it for the weight you are going to be at. It’s up to the driver to stay under the registered weight.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
campinginthewoods wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
campinginthewoods wrote:

I assume that is per year?
In Oregon vehicle plates are some what cheap $112 for standard plates for two years. Except Washington and Multnomah County's In Multnomah County it is $150 for two years and in Washington county it is $172 for two years.
Our 32' 5er will cost $229.50 the rate is based on length fee goes from $81.00 to $317 25 for a 45' travel trailer/5er for two years.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"