Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at the KZ website and didn't find a "Sportsman" that was 28 ft. long. Most likely, you have an older one. That said I noticed that the weights for those close to 28 ft and above started at 6K and went into the 7000 pound range quickly.
If you are running a 14 inch LRC tire I think you need to upgrade a bit. My trailer runs down the road very close to 6,500 lbs. I had the earlier Marathons that I inherited when I bought used. Got rid of them after the first year, 4th on the trailer because I had some noticeable bumps on the tread surfaces of two of them. Got some Maxxis and were happy with them but I did have to have them balanced a few times. I now am running the Carlisle HD with a load range E rating. These are also rated at 80 mph on the highway which gives me a nice 15mph cushion not to mention a very nice weight cushion.

I have had them 3 years now and have just about 17K miles on them. They still hold air too. Fill them up in the spring and might add a few pounds in the fall. Great tires....so far.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far very happy with them and am glad to have the 87mph speed rating. 65mph will still be my nJust installed Goodyear Endurance on TT and horse trailer. Will keep everyone posted on any issues. So far very happy with them and am glad to have the 87mph speed rating. 65mph will still be my nSo far very happy with them and am glad to have the 87mph speed rating. 65mph will still be my normal towing speed but like having a cushion.

* This post was edited 09/05/19 12:13pm by Hondavalk *

BC4277

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my two cents worth, I just put 22,200 miles on a set of GY Endurance tires. In the two years that I had them, they didn't lose a pound of air. I just replaced them with another set of GY. The thread was down to 3/32" and I didn't want to worry about driving in the rain with that little thread.

Considering your TT is almost 10' longer and 1,500 lbs. heavier than mine, I would look into upsizing your wheels & tires to 15".

2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced the 14 inch Trailer King tires, load C, on our 2017 Keystone Bullet 248rks (28'10" total length, 5100 lb. dry weight) with Goodyear Endurance, load D tires. I also had them balanced. Believe it or not, some tire dealers do not think trailer tires need balancing. Thankfully, my tire dealer, Discount Tire is more informed. I can definitely feel the difference when towing.

Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

napanee ted wrote:

Sorry to bring the subject up again but I'am in need for some advice on replacing my trailer tires. The trailer is a KZ sportsman 28 ft long. It has China bombs on it now 205/75r 14 c and they have worn down enought that I think they need to be replaced. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

I've been waiting to see if you would do a follow-up post with more info. Since you haven't I'll just say this; If your trailer is a post 2015 model it's very likely your OEM tires did not have very much in load capacity reserves. Therefore, the best upgrade would be to go with a LRD in the same designated size as listed on your trailer's certification label. Change the valve stems - all steel recommended - and insure your wheels are rated for the 65 PSI necessary to gain full load capacity from the LRD tires.

I would estimate that more than half of the ST tire manufacturers carry that tire size in a LRD.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my second set of Maxxis 8008's, and I have been very pleased with them. I also had my axles aligned and have been running balancing beads for several years. How much effect those two things on tire performance cannot be underestimated. But, the original tires were Kenda, and I'll never buy another one. I bought on line and tires were two years old when received, so pretty good for the price. The last thing I need when camping is mechanical issues, tires, brakes, springs, etc. Have been very satisfied with Maxxis performance.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

X2 though I cannot imagine buying any tire and not having it balanced. [emoticon]

[emoticon]

If you ever checked the balance of your brake drums or checked your "balanced" assembly, then you would know why I balance the entire assembly at home.

Exactly...in fact one of my truck tire dealer would not balance a trailer tire/wheel off the trailers axles. A complete waste of your money and may even make any out of balance even worse depending on where the lead weights were added in relationship to the imbalanced trailer hub.
Most city tire stores down the street don't have enough experience with trailers (rv and non rv trailers) to know tire issues on these type vehicles. All they know about tires is my car/truck tire have to be balanced and apply that to a trailer with leaf spring suspension.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

I'm on my second set of Maxxis 8008's, and I have been very pleased with them. I also had my axles aligned and have been running balancing beads for several years. How much effect those two things on tire performance cannot be underestimated. But, the original tires were Kenda, and I'll never buy another one. I bought on line and tires were two years old when received, so pretty good for the price. The last thing I need when camping is mechanical issues, tires, brakes, springs, etc. Have been very satisfied with Maxxis performance.

The only trailer tire I've had that failed was a Maxxis 8008. Was a 14" version on a 21 foot Skyline Koala. The steel belt broke. I was lucky, I noticed it while parked. The steel belt had broken.

I was lucky a) I had to stop and use the trailer's bath room, b) The business parking lot I stopped in was covered with a white powdery substance, c) it was the front right tire, d) I came to a stop with the correct portion of the tire showing, e) I happened to notice the tread pattern outlined in white was strange looking.

Only maybe the center couple of inches of the tread were covered in white dust. From the tread shoulders in to about the center 2 inches of the tire tread, were not touching the surface. The other 3 quarters of the tire was covered in white powder from tread shoulder to tread shoulder.

This was in southern South Carolina on US-17. Put the spare down on the ground and continued home to Virginia. They had a fair amount of miles on them, so I just replaced all of them with the then new Carlisle HD's. The tire dealer said the steel belt had broken.

Don't know about now, but those old Maxxis M8008's were limited to speeds no greater than 65 mph. The new Carlisle's were rated in the 80's, not that I would ever think about driving that fast. I just feel the higher rating gives extra margin of safety from heat damage.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

SkiddyMiller

Delta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

X2 though I cannot imagine buying any tire and not having it balanced. [emoticon]

[emoticon]

If you ever checked the balance of your brake drums or checked your "balanced" assembly, then you would know why I balance the entire assembly at home.

Exactly...in fact one of my truck tire dealer would not balance a trailer tire/wheel off the trailers axles. A complete waste of your money and may even make any out of balance even worse depending on where the lead weights were added in relationship to the imbalanced trailer hub.
Most city tire stores down the street don't have enough experience with trailers (rv and non rv trailers) to know tire issues on these type vehicles. All they know about tires is my car/truck tire have to be balanced and apply that to a trailer with leaf spring suspension.

Balance of the whole assembly, hub, wheel and tire is an often used selling point of the Centramatic wheel balancers. What do you think about using centramatics?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SkiddyMiller wrote:

Balance of the whole assembly, hub, wheel and tire is an often used selling point of the Centramatic wheel balancers. What do you think about using centramatics?

I like to actually balance things instead of depending on objects moving about at various road speeds. Before front wheel drive cars, many repair shops had on the vehicle balancing equipment. The tire was spun up to speed with an electric motor, a sensor attached to the vehicle triggered a strobe light showing where a weight was required. Try to find a shop that has one but they are rare. Here is a photo of my balancer:

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.