Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: wilson electronics 4G-X RV cellular signal booster
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wilson electronics 4G-X RV cellular signal booster

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bass n bob

new york state

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

has anyone tried one of these signal boosters made for RV's? Wondering if I can stream HULU using this in combination with my Verizon MIFI? The company Rep said "maybe". Before spending $500 I would like to know if anyone has success with this or a similar unit.
THX

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one at the beginning our our three month trip. I would absolutely buy it again.

I have an ATT based WiFi puck and two Verizon iPhone 8’s.

To answer your question, I can give you a firm maybe.
There are many factors besides signal strength. Many “Unlimited” plans aren’t really unlimited; they will throttle you at certain data levels or cell tower traffic so strength isn’t always the challenge. Where I’m at now, I was seeing 15-20 mbs data rates then it slowed down until evening. It happened almost daily.

So I bought the OTR.com unlimited ATT puck. No throttling or caps or contract, $60/mo.

Back to the Weboost. It ALWAYS has improved data speed so far even when I have four bars. Where it REALLY shines is when you have a poor, weak slow connection.
I have several times had speeds so slow Facebook wouldn’t load. Setup the Weboost and get 5-10 MBs or better. Fast enough for streaming HD.
Totally repeatable. Plug it in and your good, unplug it and it’s .5 MBs.

I would totally buy again.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had one for about 3 years. I use it with both Verizon and AT&T hotspots and phones. My experience has been mixed:

In metropolitan areas, it usually increases signal strength but has minimal to no impact on data speed - and in many cases it has REDUCED speed. I suspect this is due to network congestion and the MIMO operation of modern hotspots.

In rural/remote areas, I have seen some good improvement in both signal and speed. It boosted a practically unusable signal to an acceptable level. As the carriers increase coverage, these situations are far less frequent today than several years ago.

If you're in a place with no signal at all, it won't help.

All in all, I would get one again since I need the connectivity for business. It's definitely nice to have on the few occasions when I needed it.

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a WeBoost system on my house which is in a very rural area and it drastically improves reception. I also have a steel shop where I had no reception. I did not want to spend $500 for another WeBoost so I took a chance on a $50 unit on ebay. I really can't tell much difference in the $500 unit in the house and the $50 unit in my shop. I am not saying the WeBoost is not better, just saying in my case there is not much difference. I just was not willing to accept that Wilson/WeBoost is the only company with the technology to boost a phone signal.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pinesman wrote:

I have a WeBoost system on my house which is in a very rural area and it drastically improves reception. I also have a steel shop where I had no reception. I did not want to spend $500 for another WeBoost so I took a chance on a $50 unit on ebay. I really can't tell much difference in the $500 unit in the house and the $50 unit in my shop. I am not saying the WeBoost is not better, just saying in my case there is not much difference. I just was not willing to accept that Wilson/WeBoost is the only company with the technology to boost a phone signal.

Could we get some before / after speed test or dB numbers?
Does it have an amp or is it an antenna?

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not have any db numbers at the moment. What I do know is I had no signal at all and could not get a text or call at all in my shop (steel building) before. Now texts and calls come in fine. Data is a little slow but it is slow in the house with the other system also. If I can remember when I get home, I will try to get some numbers. It consists of a yagi antenna, and inside booster with attached antenna. Something like this

stevepk

Pochantas, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing to remember about these boosters is - no signal, no boost. Low signal, low boost

2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If using data the design of the weboost rv unit may slow it down. If there is poor signal it may allow you to connect where this was not possible before and have some data capabilities.

I dislike the "broadcast" side antenna on mine. You have to be not closer than 15 inches--but not farther than 30 inches for best results.

The external antenna needs to be a long way from the internal antenna as well.

The external antenna needs to be on a metal plate to provide a ground plane. I use a pizza pan from a dollar store.

I have one phone I use mostly for data. I've had good success putting it in a plastic bag after activating the wifi hotspot feature and placing it as high as I can get it on a nearby tree.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you invest in that, consider this $30 MIMO antenna. This thing is worth its weight in gold in improvements in speed in MANY areas.

https://learntorv.com/netgear-hotspot-antenna/

It plugs directly into your hotspot.

My family and I fulltime and all of our TV content is streamed from Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube. I have both a Verizon Jetpack and an AT&T Hotspot device depending on which provider has better service.

There are cases when the booster can help, but for the most part- this antenna beats it.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a old Wilson Sleek cradle model with a directional antenna. I was asked to review the RV unit a few years back. What I found was that the further away from the indoor antenna the weaker the signal. You can get the same boost as the cradle, maybe a bit better but your device has to be right on the in door antenna. Even a 6 inch difference make a huge change. It is pretty decent for 3 to 4 feet but does not flood the RV like you think it would.

I did not keep it due to the much bulkier package and double the power requirements.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wilson electronics 4G-X RV cellular signal booster
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.