cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 RAM 2500 hauling my Arctic Fox.

The AF is a little small inside but with some mods I think it's getting more comfortable.

The problem is, I want to ship it to Europe for some adventures, but it can't be driven anywhere because it's subject to so many issues with emissions over there. I'd be banned from most of Germany, lots of Italy, etc.

Now, I think I have 2 options to fix this situation and the likely similar situations coming to the USA eventually.

1) Buy a gasser to replace the 2500 Cummins

2) Convert the Cummins to an electrical, zero emissions vehicle ( Let's not debate that one, I'd rather keep the diesel but I want to be able to stick my TC in the center of Berlin if I feel like it... That's the advantage of a TC.)

First, what gasser can possibly replace a Ram 2500 with 24v Cummins turbo diesel? It would be nice to have a 3500 so I didn't have to do all the crazy mods to a 2500 that have.been done to mine.

Is it going to completely suck up hills? How about down hills? I use an exhaust brake now. Am I going to have overheating brakes in mountains? Also, what's the lowest emission gasser to be able to replace a Cummins truck?

If I do an electric conversion, can I regenerate through the main electric motor by down shifting? It's a manual transmission. Do they sell aftermarket regenerative brakes? That are heavy duty?
37 REPLIES 37

ykphil
Explorer
Explorer
ykphil wrote:
This is also in my plans once we are done with the Americas, in 2 years. I have been toying with the idea of shipping my 2007 F350 6.0 diesel with my Travel Lite popup camper, but for the same reasons you raise, I scrapped my plan. I will be looking instead for a much smaller vehicle like a camperized van, but I really like having 4x4 because eventually, I'd like to continue toward Central Asia, so my options are limited in my budget range. A Sprinter would be nice but the price for a 4x4 conversion is prohibitive, so I am looking at the much smaller Mitsubishi Delica, Toyota Hiace, or something similar that has a gas engine. Less room but more versatile and agile, and I could easily build a sleeping platform, storage boxes, stove/sink etc. for under $1000.

Friend is selling a VW LT35 WITH KARMANN MISSOURIE HOUSE. Motorhome is plated in Spain but currently in Mexico. Easy and relatively cheap to ship RORO to Europe. Owner moved there a year or so ago after traveling North America and Mexico. Fantastic condition inside and out.

The VW LT 35 is built in 2003, the engine is a 2,8 Liter Diesel TURBO INTERCOOLER HEAVY DUTY. 185,000 km. He is asking 25,000 euros.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Few more things you have to consider.
Even light TC combo on US made pickup will be heavier than 3.5 t, what will require European CDL.
Than motorhomes in Europe are not too popular as not only they cost a lot, but bring parking issues, when single family house with big yard are only for prominents.
So TT are mostly popular and in Europe you can tow 25' TT with VW bug or equivalent.
Finally, looks to me you might be fellow RVer waiting for the Alaska-Siberia bridge to be build.

That to me is the weird thing about the tiny back roads is the 7,700lb weight rating

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
I think the most important part of this discussion is being left out. Do you have a pot of gold to work with or are you on a shoe string budget?

If money isn't a problem and you don't want to worry about a hassle, either buy something there that fits your needs or find a reputable RV rental company in Europe and rent from them. That way you get something that you know will work in that country.

American vehicles are HUGE compared to European vehicles. The last thing you would want to do is bring in a Huge American Truck and Camper and stick out like a sore thumb and have trouble navigating the narrow streets over there. Bringing your own vehicle I don't see as any sort of practical solution to this problem.

Can imagine it in the tiny roads of the U.K., not much fun except for Freeways or Motorways. You will not be on freeways or Motorways for long, most of the time it is tiny roads with a lot of blind corners

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
There is no gasser to replace a Cummins.

That's what I thought. But what about the emissions situation?

Am I just screwed on that? Europe is done unless I pay through the nose to rent some inferior RV?

It should not be a problem if you are shipping a private vehicle their. Bit different if you are trying to sell it over there.
Europe is 40% Diesl vehicles anyway

ykphil
Explorer
Explorer
This is also in my plans once we are done with the Americas, in 2 years. I have been toying with the idea of shipping my 2007 F350 6.0 diesel with my Travel Lite popup camper, but for the same reasons you raise, I scrapped my plan. I will be looking instead for a much smaller vehicle like a camperized van, but I really like having 4x4 because eventually, I'd like to continue toward Central Asia, so my options are limited in my budget range. A Sprinter would be nice but the price for a 4x4 conversion is prohibitive, so I am looking at the much smaller Mitsubishi Delica, Toyota Hiace, or something similar that has a gas engine. Less room but more versatile and agile, and I could easily build a sleeping platform, storage boxes, stove/sink etc. for under $1000.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
HadEnough wrote:

The AF is a little small inside but with some mods I think it's getting more comfortable.

The problem is, I want to ship it to Europe for some adventures, but it can't be driven anywhere because it's subject to so many issues with emissions over there. I'd be banned from most of Germany, lots of Italy, etc.

Now, I think I have 2 options to fix this situation and the likely similar situations coming to the USA eventually.

2) Convert the Cummins to an electrical, zero emissions vehicle ( Let's not debate that one, I'd rather keep the diesel but I want to be able to stick my TC in the center of Berlin if I feel like it... That's the advantage of a TC.)

First, what gasser can possibly replace a Ram 2500 with 24v Cummins turbo diesel? It would be nice to have a 3500 so I didn't have to do all the crazy mods to a 2500 that have.been done to mine.

Is it going to completely suck up hills? How about down hills? I use an exhaust brake now. Am I going to have overheating brakes in mountains? Also, what's the lowest emission gasser to be able to replace a Cummins truck?

If I do an electric conversion, can I regenerate through the main electric motor by down shifting? It's a manual transmission. Do they sell aftermarket regenerative brakes? That are heavy duty?

Rent a RV in Europe problem solved, there are several website you can check out just do a search.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:

Id never take any American truck into Europe.
Roads in towns are too small.
Van maybe
Only reputable EV conversion I know of is EV WEST try asking
I suspects its very pricey tho.
Btw
If youre not perfectly healthy why not just fly over and stay in comfy hotel?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Few more things you have to consider.
Even light TC combo on US made pickup will be heavier than 3.5 t, what will require European CDL.
Than motorhomes in Europe are not too popular as not only they cost a lot, but bring parking issues, when single family house with big yard are only for prominents.
So TT are mostly popular and in Europe you can tow 25' TT with VW bug or equivalent.
Finally, looks to me you might be fellow RVer waiting for the Alaska-Siberia bridge to be build.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
I think the most important part of this discussion is being left out. Do you have a pot of gold to work with or are you on a shoe string budget?

If money isn't a problem and you don't want to worry about a hassle, either buy something there that fits your needs or find a reputable RV rental company in Europe and rent from them. That way you get something that you know will work in that country.

American vehicles are HUGE compared to European vehicles. The last thing you would want to do is bring in a Huge American Truck and Camper and stick out like a sore thumb and have trouble navigating the narrow streets over there. Bringing your own vehicle I don't see as any sort of practical solution to this problem.

Nothing extreme here. Not broke but no pot of gold either. Renting long term is just awful financially from what I've looked at. Just like here in the States. Cheaper to just get Airbnb apartments and low cost hotels than to rent RVs.

So, I'm looking to make a long term stay more reasonable, which is what I use my RV for in North America.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input and first hand experience.

I have a severe breathing problem. I can't be outside in times when the air quality goes "yellow" for particulates. Ozone isn't as bad for me. I actually can't breathe in these instances and my lungs fill with fluid.

So, I need to (ironically) run an air conditioner these conditions.

This only happens when it's humid and hot downwind of cities.

To avoid a medical emergency, I'd need air conditioning in the rig. Are at least some of the RVs doing AC these days?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:

I think you should open a university or something. How do you know all of this?? Another fantastic idea.

Tricky part is, I don't think Mercedes makes any RVs. They go off to conversion, right?

I did see it allows a full year to tour Europe before the Mercedes needs to be brought to the States.

I was born in Europe (Poland) and am fascinated by European vacations for years. Did it the "hard way" in 2001, with rental car, covering 9 countries, but at the time cheap hotels run for $150 and finding one with attached bathroom was a challenge.
Too bad the only new Mercedes we ever bought was made in ... Alabama.
The Sprinters are made by Mercedes (again as they used to be made by Fiat few years ago), but it is not Mercedes who does conversion.
Stil tax rules apply to each imported vehicle and if you think you will go for new one, check how private import works.
Taxes in Europe can be as high as 30-40% and even we don't see them on stickers, they are not much lower on new vehicles in USA.
Lot of money can be saved if you figure out the system.
Talking about European weather again - the "hot" areas are along Mediterranean Sea, which have always some breeze.
I spend 2 summers in Greece, with tents and cooling was never an issue. Those were the years when a bottle of Metaxa cost $1, so long time ago ๐Ÿ˜‰
Suppose lately Europe has global warming, so that should be taken under consideration.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Just like to add a few observations about RVing in Europe after 12 trips spanning 3 weeks to 12 months starting in 1967.

1) TC's are almost unheard of. The few you see are Tacoma sized trucks with small TC's. Your unit would be pretty high, with A/C unit, compared to even the largest class "A" units which are much smaller than their American cousins. This and the width including jacks could be problematic in the narrow streets of eropean towns and cities for driving and parking.

2) Since my first time in 1967 until our last time in 2017, there has been quite a change from tenting to hard side RV's including trailers, vans, class "A" and "C"'s with lots more campsites that supply AC power, dumpsites etc. Hardside RV's are everywhere so buying one that suits you would not be a problem.

3) A/C and generators are almost unheard of. 220V and 12 V fans are used exstensively when the weather is hot.

4) Because of the restriction of space in many areas and the price of fuel, European RV designers are pretty good at packing a lot of conveniences into small spaces and keeping the weight down, their units are fairly fuel efficient.

5) If you are planning to be in Europe for an extended period, during the cooler times of the year, southern Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Morocco, Greece ,Turkey are all fairly warm in the day and cool at night, no A/C required. Plus there are many year round campgrounds in these areas. During the summer, northern Europe has very pleasant temperatures so as long as you have the time and are mobile, you can pick what ever weather you desire.

6) In 1991, when on a world tour, we bought a small, used class C near London, toured around Europe for 4 months and came back to London, sold it in 4 days. Got almost what we paid for it. Only small glitch is that I had to get used to the steering wheel on the right when on the continent. There are lots of places to buy RV's on the continent, Germany, Netherlands etc. They all speak English. Just google them.

7) Our last 7 tours to Europe have been cycling with all of our gear. Stayed in campsites most of the time but the odd time, primitive camped. In Many places this is frowned on. Might be easier in the off season to stealth camp than during to busy times(July/August), when all of Europe and half of the world is visiting.

Good luck no matter what you decide and have a good trip.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
One more thought - if you have money to buy new RV, buying in Europe and shipping to US can save you a bundle on taxes.
There is a timeframe, so not sure if that would work for you, but Mercedes has "European delivery program" for generations, where you can order new car in US, then they will pay for you airfare to Frankfurt, where you can see your car leaving assembly lane, see the MB museum and enjoy few days of driving your car in Europe, before dropping it off at several possible points and then flying back to US. Your new car will arrive to US few weeks later and whole adventure cost several thousad$$ less, than buying new car in US.
The taxes you save by bringing "used car" to US pays for your vacations and still leave something.

I think you should open a university or something. How do you know all of this?? Another fantastic idea.

Tricky part is, I don't think Mercedes makes any RVs. They go off to conversion, right?

I did see it allows a full year to tour Europe before the Mercedes needs to be brought to the States.