Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/23/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few more things you have to consider.
Even light TC combo on US made pickup will be heavier than 3.5 t, what will require European CDL.
Than motorhomes in Europe are not too popular as not only they cost a lot, but bring parking issues, when single family house with big yard are only for prominents.
So TT are mostly popular and in Europe you can tow 25' TT with VW bug or equivalent.
Finally, looks to me you might be fellow RVer waiting for the Alaska-Siberia bridge to be build.





free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/23/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I have a 2002 RAM 2500 hauling my Arctic Fox.

The AF is a little small inside but with some mods I think it's getting more comfortable.

The problem is, I want to ship it to Europe for some adventures, but it can't be driven anywhere because it's subject to so many issues with emissions over there. I'd be banned from most of Germany, lots of Italy, etc.

Now, I think I have 2 options to fix this situation and the likely similar situations coming to the USA eventually.

1) Buy a gasser to replace the 2500 Cummins

2) Convert the Cummins to an electrical, zero emissions vehicle ( Let's not debate that one, I'd rather keep the diesel but I want to be able to stick my TC in the center of Berlin if I feel like it... That's the advantage of a TC.)

First, what gasser can possibly replace a Ram 2500 with 24v Cummins turbo diesel? It would be nice to have a 3500 so I didn't have to do all the crazy mods to a 2500 that have.been done to mine.

Is it going to completely suck up hills? How about down hills? I use an exhaust brake now. Am I going to have overheating brakes in mountains? Also, what's the lowest emission gasser to be able to replace a Cummins truck?

If I do an electric conversion, can I regenerate through the main electric motor by down shifting? It's a manual transmission. Do they sell aftermarket regenerative brakes? That are heavy duty?

Id never take any American truck into Europe.
Roads in towns are too small.
Van maybe
Only reputable EV conversion I know of is EV WEST try asking
I suspects its very pricey tho.
Btw
If youre not perfectly healthy why not just fly over and stay in comfy hotel?

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

Senior Member

Joined: 09/04/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/28/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I have a 2002 RAM 2500 hauling my Arctic Fox.

The AF is a little small inside but with some mods I think it's getting more comfortable.

The problem is, I want to ship it to Europe for some adventures, but it can't be driven anywhere because it's subject to so many issues with emissions over there. I'd be banned from most of Germany, lots of Italy, etc.

Now, I think I have 2 options to fix this situation and the likely similar situations coming to the USA eventually.

1) Buy a gasser to replace the 2500 Cummins

2) Convert the Cummins to an electrical, zero emissions vehicle ( Let's not debate that one, I'd rather keep the diesel but I want to be able to stick my TC in the center of Berlin if I feel like it... That's the advantage of a TC.)

First, what gasser can possibly replace a Ram 2500 with 24v Cummins turbo diesel? It would be nice to have a 3500 so I didn't have to do all the crazy mods to a 2500 that have.been done to mine.

Is it going to completely suck up hills? How about down hills? I use an exhaust brake now. Am I going to have overheating brakes in mountains? Also, what's the lowest emission gasser to be able to replace a Cummins truck?

If I do an electric conversion, can I regenerate through the main electric motor by down shifting? It's a manual transmission. Do they sell aftermarket regenerative brakes? That are heavy duty?


Rent a RV in Europe problem solved, there are several website you can check out just do a search.


2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel



Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog


ykphil

Yellowknife

New Member

Joined: 04/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is also in my plans once we are done with the Americas, in 2 years. I have been toying with the idea of shipping my 2007 F350 6.0 diesel with my Travel Lite popup camper, but for the same reasons you raise, I scrapped my plan. I will be looking instead for a much smaller vehicle like a camperized van, but I really like having 4x4 because eventually, I'd like to continue toward Central Asia, so my options are limited in my budget range. A Sprinter would be nice but the price for a 4x4 conversion is prohibitive, so I am looking at the much smaller Mitsubishi Delica, Toyota Hiace, or something similar that has a gas engine. Less room but more versatile and agile, and I could easily build a sleeping platform, storage boxes, stove/sink etc. for under $1000.

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

There is no gasser to replace a Cummins.



That's what I thought. But what about the emissions situation?

Am I just screwed on that? Europe is done unless I pay through the nose to rent some inferior RV?

It should not be a problem if you are shipping a private vehicle their. Bit different if you are trying to sell it over there.
Europe is 40% Diesl vehicles anyway

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I think the most important part of this discussion is being left out. Do you have a pot of gold to work with or are you on a shoe string budget?

If money isn't a problem and you don't want to worry about a hassle, either buy something there that fits your needs or find a reputable RV rental company in Europe and rent from them. That way you get something that you know will work in that country.

American vehicles are HUGE compared to European vehicles. The last thing you would want to do is bring in a Huge American Truck and Camper and stick out like a sore thumb and have trouble navigating the narrow streets over there. Bringing your own vehicle I don't see as any sort of practical solution to this problem.

Can imagine it in the tiny roads of the U.K., not much fun except for Freeways or Motorways. You will not be on freeways or Motorways for long, most of the time it is tiny roads with a lot of blind corners

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Few more things you have to consider.
Even light TC combo on US made pickup will be heavier than 3.5 t, what will require European CDL.
Than motorhomes in Europe are not too popular as not only they cost a lot, but bring parking issues, when single family house with big yard are only for prominents.
So TT are mostly popular and in Europe you can tow 25' TT with VW bug or equivalent.
Finally, looks to me you might be fellow RVer waiting for the Alaska-Siberia bridge to be build.

That to me is the weird thing about the tiny back roads is the 7,700lb weight rating

ykphil

Yellowknife

New Member

Joined: 04/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/30/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ykphil wrote:

This is also in my plans once we are done with the Americas, in 2 years. I have been toying with the idea of shipping my 2007 F350 6.0 diesel with my Travel Lite popup camper, but for the same reasons you raise, I scrapped my plan. I will be looking instead for a much smaller vehicle like a camperized van, but I really like having 4x4 because eventually, I'd like to continue toward Central Asia, so my options are limited in my budget range. A Sprinter would be nice but the price for a 4x4 conversion is prohibitive, so I am looking at the much smaller Mitsubishi Delica, Toyota Hiace, or something similar that has a gas engine. Less room but more versatile and agile, and I could easily build a sleeping platform, storage boxes, stove/sink etc. for under $1000.


Friend is selling a VW LT35 WITH KARMANN MISSOURIE HOUSE. Motorhome is plated in Spain but currently in Mexico. Easy and relatively cheap to ship RORO to Europe. Owner moved there a year or so ago after traveling North America and Mexico. Fantastic condition inside and out.

The VW LT 35 is built in 2003, the engine is a 2,8 Liter Diesel TURBO INTERCOOLER HEAVY DUTY. 185,000 km. He is asking 25,000 euros.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.