Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: 5th wheel or bumper pull
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel or bumper pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think there is a vast difference in towing between the two. BUT I have used the same hitch for 24 years. It has a slide sway bar and 1200# torsion bars.
The difference in anchor points is almost the same with the torsion bars moving a good percentage of the load point forward. As for wind, you deal with it. A quartering wind is the worst and it hitting any trailer on a 45 degree is nasty especially if it is gusty. Bottom line make your choice for your world, I prefer a TT, don't like stairs or being trapped in a nest with the door below.
Lastly IF you use your trailer you will learn what you can and can't do.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

39ft bumper pull just has “bad idea” written all over it. Will tow like **** regardless of TV.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Bottom line make your choice for your world, I prefer a TT, don't like stairs or being trapped in a nest with the door below.

Most FWs have an emergency exit window/windows. As to being trapped in a fire, these windows are hinged, with quick release handles. I read about a practice jump, but think I'll wait until I am trapped before jumping. [emoticon] The downstairs window jump...may not be too bad, but the bedroom window height a little more challenging.

Anyway...how bout those jumping from 3+ floor building to avoid the flames???

Jerry

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

Bottom line make your choice for your world, I prefer a TT, don't like stairs or being trapped in a nest with the door below.

Most FWs have an emergency exit window/windows. As to being trapped in a fire, these windows are hinged, with quick release handles. I read about a practice jump, but think I'll wait until I am trapped before jumping. [emoticon] The downstairs window jump...may not be too bad, but the bedroom window height a little more challenging.

Anyway...how bout those jumping from 3+ floor building to avoid the flames???

In a 5er at 72 years old I would be looking at a broken leg minimum.

Jerry

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

N-Trouble wrote:

39ft bumper pull just has “bad idea” written all over it. Will tow like **** regardless of TV.

My 28 footer towed well but is far to small for us to live in for 5++ months each year. I tow from Michigan to Las Vegas and Tucson bi annually and to Texas ever year then on to Florida. I have been in winds in Oklahoma and near tornodic conditions in TX. I cross the big Mac at least 4 or 5 times a year under "high wind advisory" conditions. It takes at least 8000 to 10,000 miles a year to do our road travel.
Guess what the TT tows just fine and although this unit is higher (larger wheels and tires on both the truck and TT) we do well and have never had to lay over for more that 3 or 4 hours in Nevada waiting to turtle up with the semis to make it across the desert. Realize of course I am not using a 1500 but do have a 2500 with heavy suspension and DMAX.

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

N-Trouble wrote:

My 28 footer towed well but is far to small for us to live in for 5++ months each year. I tow from Michigan to Las Vegas and Tucson bi annually and to Texas ever year then on to Florida. I have been in winds in Oklahoma and near tornodic conditions in TX. I cross the big Mac at least 4 or 5 times a year under "high wind advisory" conditions. It takes at least 8000 to 10,000 miles a year to do our road travel.
Guess what the TT tows just fine and although this unit is higher (larger wheels and tires on both the truck and TT) we do well and have never had to lay over for more that 3 or 4 hours in Nevada waiting to turtle up with the semis to make it across the desert. Realize of course I am not using a 1500 but do have a 2500 with heavy suspension and DMAX.

Well a 28 footer is no 39 footer... Have you ever pulled a 5er to compare to? Everything is relative.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rare to see a 5er laying on it's side, TT's that's a different story!

2nd this! Older retired semi driver friend said the exact same thing to me back in '05.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

N-Trouble wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

N-Trouble wrote:

Well a 28 footer is no 39 footer... Have you ever pulled a 5er to compare to? Everything is relative.

Never wanted one and as I posted don't like stairs or a nest that doesn't have a door in case of fire. I've always thought they should have emergency exit in the floor under the bed.

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there you go... If you’ve never pulled a 5er then yes you’ll think your bumper pulls really nice.

You have to go up stairs every time you go in/out your bumper pull. Whats a couple more?? Dont get the fire comment. All 5ers have escape windows.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

N-Trouble wrote:

Well there you go... If you’ve never pulled a 5er then yes you’ll think your bumper pulls really nice.

You have to go up stairs every time you go in/out your bumper pull. Whats a couple more?? Dont get the fire comment. All 5ers have escape windows.

Let me just say normally pulling my TT is like sitting in front of the TV and watching a travel program but I am in it. Get it?? I am at ease with my rig why would I change ??? Secondly for a 5er as big as mine loaded would cost about 35000 to 40000 more. Now lets put in a new heavier truck and more costly insurance. Get it??
Lastly you go in and out but a few times.... you go to the bathroom or change or nap in the bed room. In the TT you just go back and forth in a 5er you'll be up and down those stairs often and my wife has issues and so do I on occasion. You must not be a beer drinker LOL.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel or bumper pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS