Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: 5th wheel or bumper pull
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel or bumper pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with the TT for two main reasons. First, we didn’t like the steps. Second and probably more important is one that most people don’t have. It’s using the bed of the truck. It’s nice to carry several ice chests and buckets and fishing poles. We fish in the Gulf of Mexico and carry live fish, minnows and other small fish for bait. If the bucket sloshes water around, if the shrimp jump out and cant be found, if we want to cut a fish and use half of him it’s no big deal. Ok, not what you asked for but the beach sure is fun!
Moral of the story, camping is not always neat and clean. We like to have a place to put wet or dirty or stinky things somewhere other than in the trailer storage bins.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worse excuse ever IMHO! "First, we didn’t like the steps" Other reasons are understandable.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BigDinAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To each his (or her) own. I like the 5th wheel because it fits the way we want to do things.
This is why they make Class A, Class C, 5th wheels, travel trailers, campers and the list goes on.
We can all choose what fits our style.

Some like boondocking some like hookups, yet others prefer tents.

The important thing is not only that you do it, but that you have fun doing it.

D

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew-cab Long Box DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, 4:10 rear, 14,000 GVWR, 5,704 Payload, 30,300 GCWR.

2019 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS, 34', triple slide, 11,000GVWR.

MLWalton

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow some interesting responses for sure. Thank you all for taking the time to post.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

We went with the TT for two main reasons. First, we didn’t like the steps. Second and probably more important is one that most people don’t have. It’s using the bed of the truck. It’s nice to carry several ice chests and buckets and fishing poles. We fish in the Gulf of Mexico and carry live fish, minnows and other small fish for bait. If the bucket sloshes water around, if the shrimp jump out and cant be found, if we want to cut a fish and use half of him it’s no big deal. Ok, not what you asked for but the beach sure is fun!
Moral of the story, camping is not always neat and clean. We like to have a place to put wet or dirty or stinky things somewhere other than in the trailer storage bins.

Well unless the bed is totally full of ice chest in a long bed there is lots of space available for ice chest, at least enough for sloppy ones. That and many 5ers have basements that have almost as much space as a long bed With a cap.
It is all personal choice, but just because there is a hitch in the bed doesn’t mean you can’t put anything in the bed. In fact one still has a good amount of bed space available.
I always enjoyed having all the stuff already in the 5er ready to go at a moments notice.
Once again personal choice, but there is still a lot of usable space in the bed.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BigDinAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well unless the bed is totally full of ice chest in a long bed there is lots of space available for ice chest, at least enough for sloppy ones. That and many 5ers have basements that have almost as much space as a long bed With a cap.
It is all personal choice, but just because there is a hitch in the bed doesn’t mean you can’t put anything in the bed. In fact one still has a good amount of bed space available.
I always enjoyed having all the stuff already in the 5er ready to go at a moments notice.
Once again personal choice, but there is still a lot of usable space in the bed.

This is a true statement. With our long bed, we have more than enough room for stuff in the bed.

* This post was edited 08/28/19 08:23am by an administrator/moderator *

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Worse excuse ever IMHO! "First, we didn’t like the steps" Other reasons are understandable.

Those new morryde steps would def be a deal breaker for me. If a new trailer I was looking at had them I would not purchase that trailer TT or 5th wouldn't matter. Those steps to me are absolutely useless. Cons to me are: Where I park it at home I wouldn't be able to set them down so I couldn't get into the trailer when stored at home. Secondly when traveling those steps come out far and we get into the trailer every time we get fuel. I can see someone coming past them and taking them out for sure. Thirdly the fact that they take up so much room inside the trailer when up. A larger rig has 2 sets. Say one is in the bedroom you're stopped along side the road somewhere for the night you can't even walk around the bed in most I've seen with a bedroom door. Dumbest design ever for people who actually still utilize their trailer while traveling.

Pro? Well honestly I see not one as I've never had a trailer that didn't have stable steps [emoticon]

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigDinAZ wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Snip...

This is a true statement. With our long bed, we have more than enough room for stuff in the bed.

Heck even with my short bed Ive got room for lots of fire wood or ice chests. When did having a 5er mean you couldnt use the bed?

Fake News!!!

* This post was edited 08/28/19 08:26am by an administrator/moderator *

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"many 5ers have basements that have almost as much space as a long bed With a cap"

I have been thinking about renting out my basement. [emoticon]

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

N-Trouble wrote:

Heck even with my short bed Ive got room for lots of fire wood or ice chests. When did having a 5er mean you couldnt use the bed?

Fake News!!!

Come on lets be honest about pros and cons. Yes you can still use the bed but it's dramatically compromised compared to towing a TT. I even banged up my generator a little bit on our last trip trying to use the bed.

I think both are fine. To me the pros of the fifth wheel are the shorter overall package and better towing characteristics, while the pro of the TT is a wide open truck bed. I think we're about 50/50 on which style we'll go with when the kids get a little bigger and we want to make a change. Either way it'll be a toy hauler, though.

* This post was edited 08/28/19 08:28am by an administrator/moderator *

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel or bumper pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.