Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Nissan Pathfinder (2017-2019)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nissan Pathfinder (2017-2019)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
GrammiJo

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't have a TT yet and are in market for a new vehicle. We will most likely get a hybrid trailer, or possibly a small, lightweight. Either way, it will be 5500 pound max.

I am looking at a newer model Pathfinder for the tow vehicle. Anyone towing with one?

I will only purchase Nissan or Ford and don't want a gas guzzler. If you have any other suggestions, please keep that in mind. Have considered F150V6 with ecoboost, Frontier and Pathfinder.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off, the wife and I absolutely love hybrids and are on are 2nd without an issue but pay attention to the GVWR of proposed trailer as they're heavier than one might think.

I'm a fan of the Pathfinder and what you get for the money.....like so many imports unfortunately but it is what it is.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I recall, the newer pathfinders all use a unibody construction and cvt transmission. While the unibody doesn’t bother me, the cvt transmission does. I will never purchase a vehicle with a cvt transmission. My mom had a Nissan a few years ago with one. Replaced that transmission twice... and yes she drives like a grandma cause she is. That car was babied it’s entire life. She got rid of it, I know it had less then 100k.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 2014 Pathfinder which is the new style with the unibody and CVT and it was a wonderful vehical, never had any issues. Not sure I would want it as a tow vehicle though. Would have kept it but the wife wanted something smaller so we ended up with the Nissan Rogue.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a cargo trailer daily for work in the 2000-3000 lb range (varies through the day). I'm kind of interested in the Pathfinder, too. I asked my mechanic (one I really trust, surprisingly honest and thorough) about it and he said they'd be fine for my type of towing usage. He did recommend 2017 and newer, though; the earlier Pathfinder CVTs had some issues but he feels Nissan has cleared them up.

That said, I would not want to tow more than about 4500 lbs gross trailer weight or longer than about 22'-24' (with sway control). It's a short wheelbase vehicle and a non-turbo V6... gotta be realistic.

I'm not sure what the new RWD version Explorer will be rated for towing, but you might look at it for comparision. But if you want a longer or heavier trailer, the long wheelbase of the pickup will provide safer handling.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with the Nissan, make sure you keep up on the maintenance of that CVT (fluid changes) if you use it for towing. I'm suspicious that Nissan may say it's a "lifetime fluid" which is garbage. It does need to be changed.

The manual will undoubtedly have some info, so be sure to read it.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Explorer is superior to the Pathfinder in every single way. Especially the new RWD-architecture, which has more payload, tows more, and uses less fuel.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

The Explorer is superior to the Pathfinder in every single way. Especially the new RWD-architecture, which has more payload, tows more, and uses less fuel.

Yes, great suggestion

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

If I recall, the newer pathfinders all use a unibody construction and cvt transmission. While the unibody doesn’t bother me, the cvt transmission does. I will never purchase a vehicle with a cvt transmission. My mom had a Nissan a few years ago with one. Replaced that transmission twice... and yes she drives like a grandma cause she is. That car was babied it’s entire life. She got rid of it, I know it had less then 100k.

That's what I thought, the newer Pathfinder is a totally different vehicle, from the previous Pathfinder.
Not as good of a tow vehicle.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

That's what I thought, the newer Pathfinder is a totally different vehicle, from the previous Pathfinder.
Not as good of a tow vehicle.

That is correct, the newer one just isn’t like the original for sure in so many ways. The CVT is just not a good transmission at all. I’ve come across so many of those units with failure in Nissans. I just can’t recommend them especially for towing. The original was based off the truck and was so solid of a vehicle. In my opinion they have made softer for the younger gen. Granted I’m in my mid 40s but I don’t see this vehicle as a good solid platform for towing. Ford and GM offer much better SUVs for towing. I wish even GM would have not brought back the so called Blazer, another soft vehicle to meet an younger gen ideal so called tuff SUV. That’s just my opinion guys....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nissan Pathfinder (2017-2019)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS