Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking for dog breed the travels well while Rving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Looking for dog breed the travels well while Rving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please do not get a larger dog unless you are physically able to walk, play and exercise the dog. We see so many owned by people who are basically unable to walk more than a few feet for various reasons. Your companion deserves the best, so keep your physical limitations in mind when you choose a breed also.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please do not get a larger dog unless you are physically able to walk, play and exercise the dog.

Applies to ALL dogs, regardless of size. No one should get any pet that they aren't willing to commit to or cannot handle. I don't think this is the case with the OP.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs are very accomodating. With a few exceptions, they can and will adjust to the owner's physical abilities.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Dogs are very accomodating. With a few exceptions, they can and will adjust to the owner's physical abilities.

I strongly disagree with that. IME and IMO it's a recipe for disaster for a physically disabled or elderly person to get a big, energetic dog. Working in rescue I've seen so many bad outcomes from that. The dogs are generally the ones who suffer the most, but many of the owners do, too.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I strongly disagree with that. IME and IMO it's a recipe for disaster for a physically disabled or elderly person to get a big, energetic dog. Working in rescue I've seen so many bad outcomes from that. The dogs are generally the ones who suffer the most, but many of the owners do, too.

This is different than your prior statement. Your prior statement said not to get a big dog if you can't walk it which is different than your second statement that says not to get a big energetic dog if you are physically unable to handle it.

My point was in reference to the idea that a large dog requires more exercise than a small dog. This is not true. There are many large dogs that are happy in a more sedentary life and small dogs who need a lot of physical exercise.

Getting a dog of any size that fits your activity level is important. But a low physical level does not require a small dog.

Dernhelm

Las Vegas NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry about size or breed! Go down to the shelter and tell them you want a cuddle buddy who likes car rides and walks (which pretty much defines RVing if you're a dog).

Let us know what you get - all agog here.

Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Amroth & Nimrodel
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, Silverado Hybrid, GMC Canyon

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most sedentary dog we’ve had was an ex-racing greyhound (adopted at age 3 and lived with us till his death at 13). A 15-20 min leisurely stroll on lead and he was ready for hrs laying around the house (or trailer).

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not agree that a dog's disposition is dependent on what breed it is. The dog's disposition will be shaped by how the owner raises the animal.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dogs disposition will be dependent upon both genetics (breed, and family lines within a breed) AND environment (how the individual dog is raised). If environment totally determines how a dog turns out there would be no point in rehabbing ex fighting dogs and dogs from other bad living conditions. Conversely, some behaviors cannot be totally controlled by training because it is genetically controlled (instincts).

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

This is different than your prior statement. Your prior statement said not to get a big dog if you can't walk it

[emoticon]

Can you please show me where I posted that? 'Cause I sure don't see it. I believe you've confused me with another poster.

And note that in my previous statement I said "big, energetic dog." The second word there is key. Certainly some larger breeds are couch potatoes. But most aren't, especially when they're younger. We get so many dogs turned into rescues and shelters because the owner grossly underestimated the dog's exercise needs. IME it's far and away the number one reason larger dogs are given up. Certainly there are many energetic small breeds. But most of those can be exercised inside (and with little movement on the owner's part) when necessary by tossing a toy up and down a hallway or around a living room.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Looking for dog breed the travels well while Rving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.