Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yet another "Is this generator a good one" thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Yet another "Is this generator a good one" thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sams Club is advertising this 2200 watt inverter generator for $399. I have a Honda 2000 watt, but for that price, I might be interested.
Is this one in any way comparable to the Honda? Can this one be paralleled with a Honda?

(For $30 less you can get a gasoline only version.)

Sportsman 2200 watt dual-fuel inverter generator

[image]

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is an off brand Chinese import that will have no customer support, service, or parts availability. Whenever any small problem develops, you will have to fix it yourself. Whenever any big problem develops that you cannot fix yourself, you will just have to throw this one in the trash.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are a generic commodity. Just buy them on the specification you need.
I would not parallel with my Honda.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As was said, this is a Chinese-made clone that is marketed with different brand names.
Suggest you find out who does warranty work on it.
And I would NEVER risk my Honda 2000i, attempting to parallel it to one of these.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parallel at your own peril.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not think that I would attempt to parallel it with anything but another Sportsman 2200. i do have a Sportsman 2200 gas only version and have set up and watched used the dual fuel on propane. I also have a Sportsman 800.

All three are good generators. The dual fuel version on propane ran a 5000 BTU A/C for 40 hours, stopped long enough to have a full 20 pound tank put on, the oil checked and then run until that tank was empty. I watched it run like that for a few weeks in the 112 degree heat of Quartzsite. We changed the oil every other tank and would have every tank with a 30 pounder.

I picked up my 800 nearly three years ago and have no complaints with it either.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

no customer support, service, or parts availability. Whenever any small problem develops, you will have to fix it yourself. Whenever any big problem develops that you cannot fix yourself, you will just have to throw this one in the trash.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Are you referring to the generator or RV's? LOL

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy it and try it out. If you don't like it take it back. As mentioned above there's probably no support. I

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2,200 watts huh? Maybe at 11,000 RPM, fueled my nitro menthane on the shore of the Dead Sea elevation minus 282 ft. on a cold day in January.

One fact I learned, a properly maintained Honda, never EVER took a third pull. And at altitudes of +5,000 feet change muffler after a thousand hours of use. Storage? Drain every last drop of gasoline then start and run engine unloaded after 10 seconds on white gasoline. About a cup's worth. Jesus just started my 2000 watt belt-driven after TEN YEARS storage. Nothing but Pemex Premium USA gasoline is ever used in it. Two pulls and it started but the brushes were stuck no output. I'll bring down a new brush holder. It runs my Goldstar 5000 BTU window air all night on 3.3 gallons of fuel. BiPAP, reading lamp, fan, yadda.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 02:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a little secret for y'all.

Out here on the road it doesn't matter what brand, color, model, etc. If it starts consistently, runs well, meets your needs...you got a good one. It's true for generators, tools, trucks, RV's and so much more in life. The need to defend a brand simply because it is our choice is nuts.

There are plenty of post about Honda's breaking down or being cold blooded to start. My buddies brand new Honda 2200 lasted just months before it needed a shop. He is kicking himself for not getting the unit this thread is about not just because of the difference in price but because he hates refilling his multiple times a day.

My little Sportsman 800 was a one pull wonder for 2 1/2 years until I let someone give me bad gas. It was my fault for not going and getting fresh gas, not the generator's. It ran my 5000 BTU A/C for 5 hours on it's half a gallon gas tank. It's performance until then showed me that getting a Sportsman 2200 was not a risk.

So instead of jumping to arms whenever a new product is introduced, wish it well. We need the Honda's of the world to be pushed to compete. Honda needs to step up their game with new products and better pricing because these new companies will meet peoples needs and have been for a while.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Yet another "Is this generator a good one" thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS