Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Multiple Tire Blowouts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Multiple Tire Blowouts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev
kedanie

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hate to tell you this Calvin, but your established way ain’t workin. If it was there wouldn’t be all these threads complaining about ST tire problems.

Keith

Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kedanie wrote:

Hate to tell you this Calvin, but your established way ain’t workin. If it was there wouldn’t be all these threads complaining about ST tire problems.

Keith

Well that's quite true. The published way establishes minimum standards which can always be improved with a little help from vehicle manufacturers and their options or recommendations for added protection with replacement tires. RIVA has helped with their 10% in load capacity reserve recommendation for OEM tires.

Complaints are, in a large part, from disgruntled consumers and highly anecdotal in nature.

The motto, "the right tool for the job" can be shifted to the "right tire for the application". Problem is, most -new- RV trailer owners have a problem when they have to make that decision.

Writing about tires in this format is often difficult because we cannot directly confront those making serious errors. We have to obfuscate.

* This post was edited 09/07/19 12:30pm by CALandLIN *

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

kedanie wrote:

Keith

Well that's quite true. The published way establishes minimum standards which can always be improved with a little help from vehicle manufacturers and their options or recommendations for added protection with replacement tires.

Complaints are, in a large part, from disgruntled consumers and highly antidotal in nature.

The motto, "the right tool for the job" can be shifted to the "right tire for the application". Problem is, most -new- RV trailer owners have a problem when they have to make that decision.

This coming from a guy who had SEVEN oem tire failures. ( That should make anyone a disgruntled consumer)

CALandLINs seven failures

And from what you have also posted (staying with STs, and just increasing the LR) are still having troubles, though at a slower rate.

Yea, keep right on drinking the kool aid and putting up with failures... At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are doing what you are supposed to do.

* This post was last edited 09/08/19 01:20am by Huntindog *   View edit history

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

I have 6000# GAWR vehicle certified axles. I use ST235/80R16 LRE tires inflated to 80 PSI which provides 520# in load capacity reserves per tire. I replace them every three years.

Ouch...thats gotta' hurt. This is the biggest reason I don't use ST tires on my RV trailers. Hell I couldn't afford them.
I've used LT235/85-16 E tires on several trailers with 6k axles and replace them when they reach 50k-55k miles or 7-8 years which ever comes first.

Anywayz the legalistic sounding opinions were hearing from Cal can be read over and over ad nauseam by searching FastEagle on this website (and other rv websites). Don't feed the troll.

I came back to this post because you know very well that my message isn't personal, yet, as in the past, you chose to make it so and I bit. Sorry to others that I now have to bow out of this discussion as others start clouding my message. I've been doing this for more than 15 years and should have recognized the bait.

kedanie

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

CALandLIN wrote:

kedanie wrote:

Keith

Well that's quite true. The published way establishes minimum standards which can always be improved with a little help from vehicle manufacturers and their options or recommendations for added protection with replacement tires.

Complaints are, in a large part, from disgruntled consumers and highly antidotal in nature.

This coming from a guy who had SEVEN oem tire failures. ( That should make anyone a disgruntled consumer)
CALandLINs seven failures
And from what you have also posted (staying with STs, and just increasing the LR) are still having troubles, though at a slower rate.

Yea, keep right on drinking the kool aid and putting up with failures... At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are doing what you are supposed to do.

Actually the number is over 20. He even admitted it back when he was posting as FastEagle. If I recall, think it was around 23 tires at the time.

Keith

* This post was edited 09/08/19 10:58am by kedanie *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Multiple Tire Blowouts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.