Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Multiple Tire Blowouts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Multiple Tire Blowouts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Don't forget the amount of Chinese tires on landscape/flat/utility trailers, horse trailers, box trailers etc, most made in China. By the comments on RV boards you should see multiple trailers with flat tires every time you venture out on the highway. In any case you should see one every time you drive anywhere.

Exaggeration at its best.
I'm a member on several websites that represents most of the non rv type trailers you mention. We see about the same number of ST tire issues as we see on this and other rv trailering websites.

The vast majority of trailer owners (rv and non rv) like their ST tires/brands and have had no issues with them...but many of us have. Most of us found a better tire type or a different brand that eliminated our reoccurring tire issues.
If you feel the need or simply want any ST tire pick one. If you don't feel the need for a different brand or tire type or the added cost of a better tire, no one is going to think badly of you for your decision to keep using what works for you.

NHTSA tire complaints ??
Years back Carlisle had over 180 complaints and Goodyear Marathons lead the pack at 235 complaints. I see NHTSA comes through every so often and removes tire complaints that didn't give the correct info and have in the past removed those that had no bodily injuries listed.

The last 2-3 years we have a better generation of ST tires which brings down complaints. JMO but generally new trailer owners are better educated through forums about ST tire issues as evident trailer mfg offering better tires as a option or come as OEM.

Dead on it's exaggeration at its best, this entire topic. NHTSA "complaints" mean about as much as the spew on this board. People complain. "I ran 100 mph while 30 lbs low on pressure and my tire blew out" or "I clipped 17 curbs because I can not drive and then spent 10 miles at speed on the shoulder". One thing is 100$ certain with complaints and that is the complainer is never at fault.

180 complaints for this or 235 complaints for that, how many actual "recalls"?

jy

south east mich.

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I.ll put my 2cents whorth in.This spring bought a 2 year old Wildwood 29 foot tt.Previous owner had bought it new 2 years ago,towed it to florida,parked it for two years and towed it back to Michigan.Chinese 6 ply tires looked great.First trip for us we went 200 miles to northern michigan.30 miles into return trip rr tire blew.Pressure was checked before we left up north.Luckily only minor damage to the plastic covering underneath.Got home bought 4 new Goodyear endurance 8 ply tires.Feel much better about tires and the trailer sways less. Btw,Tomman,I,m one of your retired brothers.

2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Don't forget the amount of Chinese tires on landscape/flat/utility trailers, horse trailers, box trailers etc, most made in China. By the comments on RV boards you should see multiple trailers with flat tires every time you venture out on the highway. In any case you should see one every time you drive anywhere.

Exaggeration at its best.
I'm a member on several websites that represents most of the non rv type trailers you mention. We see about the same number of ST tire issues as we see on this and other rv trailering websites.

The vast majority of trailer owners (rv and non rv) like their ST tires/brands and have had no issues with them...but many of us have. Most of us found a better tire type or a different brand that eliminated our reoccurring tire issues.
If you feel the need or simply want any ST tire pick one. If you don't feel the need for a different brand or tire type or the added cost of a better tire, no one is going to think badly of you for your decision to keep using what works for you.

NHTSA tire complaints ??
Years back Carlisle had over 180 complaints and Goodyear Marathons lead the pack at 235 complaints. I see NHTSA comes through every so often and removes tire complaints that didn't give the correct info and have in the past removed those that had no bodily injuries listed.

The last 2-3 years we have a better generation of ST tires which brings down complaints. JMO but generally new trailer owners are better educated through forums about ST tire issues as evident trailer mfg offering better tires as a option or come as OEM.

Dead on it's exaggeration at its best, this entire topic. NHTSA "complaints" mean about as much as the spew on this board. People complain. "I ran 100 mph while 30 lbs low on pressure and my tire blew out" or "I clipped 17 curbs because I can not drive and then spent 10 miles at speed on the shoulder". One thing is 100$ certain with complaints and that is the complainer is never at fault.

180 complaints for this or 235 complaints for that, how many actual "recalls"?
I too do not put much stock in NHSTAs cmplaint stats... Becuase I think they are understated.

I know that none of my many failures were not reported..... And I bet most are like me. Fix it and move on. The complaint thing IMO is worthless

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

People complain. "I ran 100 mph while 30 lbs low on pressure and my tire blew out" or "I clipped 17 curbs because I can not drive and then spent 10 miles at speed on the shoulder". One thing is 100$ certain with complaints and that is the complainer is never at fault.

And even more exaggerations.
There have been ST tire brand recalls before. Even at the rate they have given owners problems NHTSA may not issue a recall because a blow out or run flat on a trailer isn't nearly as serious as one on our tow vehicles. Now if injuries had occurred then like the Firestone tires/Ford vehicles debacle some years back then recalls can be issued.

What most folks find out is there are better ST brands out here or tire types that eliminated their tire issues on their trailers. They/we continue driving the same roads and driving style but no more ruined tires and damaged trailer.

We had the same type comments from certain folks over on several Ford truck forums when owners started having issues with the infamous 6.0 engine. They also made exaggerated comments about those owners who had issues with them as some how it was the owners fault and not the engine.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

Interesting, but it doesn't explain why the older trailers also are not experiencing these failures. Nevertheless, the 10% change was something that needed to be done to bring the RV industry in line with cars and trucks.

What is your opinion about the RVIA recommendation for RV trailer manufacturers to discontinue the use of bias ply ST tires on wheels 14" OD and above?

I've already found one manufacturer (Kenda) that's already building 12" OD radial tires. Boat Trailer haulers are going to like them as they are LRD with 1520# of load capacity.

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

What is your opinion about the RVIA recommendation for RV trailer manufacturers to discontinue the use of bias ply ST tires on wheels 14" OD and above?

I've already found one manufacturer (Kenda) that's already building 12" OD radial tires. Boat Trailer haulers are going to like them as they are LRD with 1520# of load capacity.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I don't know why they would make that recommendation and I don't have any references that say there is a difference - except, of course, about the difference in the way they handle - and I wouldn't think that would make a large enough difference to result in that recommendation.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding whether the trailer manufacturer "allows" fitment of the LT tires, I have posted the picture to this forum of the page in the owner manual of both my Titan horse trailers, and my Load Max equipment trailer, that verifies that either ST or LT are appropriate fitment to the trailer.

Pay your money, make your choice.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmw photos wrote:

Regarding whether the trailer manufacturer "allows" fitment of the LT tires, I have posted the picture to this forum of the page in the owner manual of both my Titan horse trailers, and my Load Max equipment trailer, that verifies that either ST or LT are appropriate fitment to the trailer.

Bottom line; it's their sole decision to make for OE tires. Not the consumers. When the consumer uses unrecommended replacements, that's a decision they have to answer for.

Any highway tire can be chosen by the RV trailer manufacturer as long as it falls within the FMVSS (standards). The following statement is mandated to be in RV trailer owner manuals: Tire Size
To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same designated size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

gmw photos wrote:

Bottom line; it's their sole decision to make for OE tires. Not the consumers. When the consumer uses unrecommended replacements, that's a decision they have to answer for.

Any highway tire can be chosen by the RV trailer manufacturer as long as it falls within the FMVSS (standards). The following statement is mandated to be in RV trailer owner manuals: Tire Size
To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same designated size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information
Are you talking about the manual that hardly anyone gets.

Or the one that is so generic as to be practicly useless.

Manuals in the RV biz, are not nearly up to the standards that the auto industry follows.

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

....snip

Any highway tire can be chosen by the RV trailer manufacturer as long as it falls within the FMVSS (standards).
....snip

Cal,
My point is that LT tires are "approved" by the trailer manufacturers.

You point out that any tire within the safety standards can be chosen as OE. Which is true. They mostly choose ST, because very possibly, they are simply the least expensive to fit, and may in fact meet the needs of many consumers.

However on this board and others, forum members will state that "LT tires should not be fit to trailers. They are made for trucks. ST tires should be fit, because they are made for trailers."

This statement is contrary to what the trailer companies state. In fact a growing number of trailer companies are fitting LT tires as OE, either as standard or extra cost option.

Major point is, LT tires "CAN" be an option on a trailer, in spite of what well meaning forum posters may state.

And yes this is a much repeated forum topic, but new folks are constantly coming into the fold, looking for solid information. It makes sense to me that we repeat the dialog as often as needed.

best regards to all, gmw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Multiple Tire Blowouts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.