cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble at State Park

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 50A class A, we were going camping at a state park in Kentucky. It was hot so we were running the generator w AC on. We backed into our site, turned off generator, plugged in to 30A post using 30-50A adapter. Everything was fine but the AC would not work. I unplugged, started generator again, AC worked fine. I turned off generator and plugged into 30A post again. AC still would not work. I suspected the 30-50A adapter. I used volt meter and confirmed there was 120V on both hot legs of the 50A adapter outlet. I checked my disconnect switch with volt meter, showed 120V. After further trouble shooting I finally determined that the post 30A was wired wrong. The hot and neutral leads were reversed. Looking at the outlet with the round ground lug at top the hot leg is supposed to be at 7 o'clock, neutral at 5 o'clock. They were reversed. So the 30-50A adapter was splitting neutral instead of hot. I checked the site next door, it was good. So not only were they reversed, but also inconsistent. Ranger let me move. I am stunned to think how many years it has been wrong like this. Folks with 30A rig probably would't notice. Perhaps some with 50A rig were okay too, but not me. I now have a dedicated outlet checker in the cord compartment to easily check the post wiring before I set up and plug in. Another lesson learned the hard way...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
25 REPLIES 25

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:
Most "average" RV'ers I know, meet, or encounter don't know very much about how anything in their RV works,
x2. Especially solar, and especially if someone else installed it.

I will check the voltage IF my air is struggling or my 30a plugs are getting warm. Other than that, it's plug in Surge, wait 1.5 minutes, go.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a meter inline that checks for faults, voltage and cycles. also works when on shore power. I believe everyone should have. Have found numerous improperly wired post.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™m unaware of any experienced RVer that doesnโ€™t check the power prior to plugging in.

I don't ... and we've been RV'ing for at least 45 years and I'm a retired EE who wired our own home, including the 200 amp service coming into it.

However our RVs have been 30 amp ones, so our electrical life has been simple. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™m unaware of any experienced RVer that doesnโ€™t check the power prior to plugging in.

Other than 1 electrician friend of mine and those who have EMSs, I've never seen nor known of an RVer to check power before plugging in. It's talked about online like it's common place, but in practice, I really don't see it happen.

I thought the same thing. Most "average" RV'ers I know, meet, or encounter don't know very much about how anything in their RV works, let alone checking line voltages and polarities. I am considered the exception, and get called on alot to check this or that. And I don't contend to be an expert by any means.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

But a GFI will not always work with right with reversed polarity...

True but the A/C was the device not working.

But the fact the GFI will not work right is a reason to make sure the polarity is right.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:

But a GFI will not always work with right with reversed polarity...

True but the A/C was the device not working.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Other than 1 electrician friend of mine and those who have EMSs, I've never seen nor known of an RVer to check power before plugging in. It's talked about online like it's common place, but in practice, I really don't see it happen.

I do it every time but you wouldn't notice, I don't make a show out of it. The process only takes a few second.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C hardwired right before my main breaker to protect my electrical system, and still I use this before plugging in. I guess I am a belt and suspenders kind.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
It seems to be a common mistake especially when a person or electrician isn't familiar with the 30 amp RV plug. They see the schematic and know which side each wire goes until they turn it around to connect the wires and forget that left is now right and right is now left. At least you weren't the first user who discovered the dreaded 30 amp 220 volt mistake.

Black always goes to the brass screw, white always goes to the silver screw, green to the green screw. That way you don't have to worry about sides, and position, left, right, front, back, etc.
TC&Z

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
YOu said with the polarity reversal on teh box the A/C did not work.

The thing is. UNLESS you have somethign like a Progressive EMS or a TRC Surge guard which would have told you on it's face (or remote) what the problem is.. The A/C really does not care about polarity. No AC (Alternating current) device cares about polarity.. The issue is important only for YOU...

WHY. Well AC current flows the same no matter how you wire it up. but if it's backwards the danger of shock to YOU goes up. Seriously UP But the device actually can not tell unless (Like the Progressive Industries EMS) it is designed to do so

We have a 2 ton Coleman 2-stage AC unit. One stage is on one leg of 50A, 2nd stage is on the other. All I can assume is that somehow the single control board for both stages detected the polarity reversal and would not allow the AC to work. You are right, all other items worked properly.
TC&Z

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Did you report what you found? Perhaps there are more pedestals wired wrong.

Yes, I reported it to the campground host, the Park Ranger, and to the Park Superintendent. The sad thing was that the Park Ranger said that others had complained about the site previously and their facilities folks had checked it and found it to be okay. I suspect they just measured the voltage, got 120V, and found no problem. I showed the Park Ranger our site, then walked to the adjacent site as comparison. He agreed was incorrect. If you measure hot to neutral you will get 120V and not realize that the polarity is reversed. If you measure hot to ground and get 0V, or measure from neutral to ground and get 120V then you have polarity reversed. The Park Superintendent said he would credit my stay due to the issue, although I have not found the credit processed yet...
TC&Z

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
I'm a believer now, it took a while for me to come around, but I have 2 different surge protectors. One is for 30 amp power, the other is for 50 amp power. I use the 30 amp on my 50 amp camper when there is no 50 amp available.

Getting 2 protectors was not necessary. You could use the 30 to 50 adapter, then plug your 50 amp protector in, then plug the RV in, and it would have worked just fine.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a believer now, it took a while for me to come around, but I have 2 different surge protectors. One is for 30 amp power, the other is for 50 amp power. I use the 30 amp on my 50 amp camper when there is no 50 amp available. It provided protection, at least enough to keep the power off if the receptacle is miss-wired. It has saved our keesters more than once with miss-wired receptacles.

OK, I had to argue with the campground management the last time, but they did send someone out and ended up swapping out the entire plug, the breaker, and wired it correct. No issues after that.

The power management or surge protectors are a good $200 or $300 investment to protect a $74,000 RV!