cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jetpack vs MiFi vs Hotspot

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any speed advantage to buying a Jetpack vs just using your smart phone as a hotspot? Here's the background to the question. Years ago we had a MiFi that we used to access the internet back when we had flip phones. Fast forward a few years, we buy smart phones and when the hotspot died, we just used the smart phones as hot spots. Now it is time to replace the aging smart phones (Samsung S-4 Minis) and I am wondering if we should also get a jetpack too or just keep using the smart phones hot spot feature. Do the jetpacks provide better coverage or speed, etc.? Your thoughts? Thank you.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
20 REPLIES 20

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
JohnBorgen wrote:
I am thinking of the Verizon 8800 Jetpack, but the reviews online are abysmal. Is anyone on these forums using one? How are they working for you? I few people in this thread have referenced them...they seem to like them. I'm just wondering if there are other opinions about them on this forum.

When the 8800L first came out, and for many months after that, some units had a big problem with random reboots. The manufacturer has now provided Verizon with a system update that most people report totally fixed the problem.

Just do a "check for updates" on the hotspot and the new software/firmware update will load. Easy peasy.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredBeanCounter wrote:
JohnBorgen wrote:
We just got our first RV(Coleman 2515RL) and we're actually in our first RV park for the weekend. I got here on Friday around noon expecting to work for the rest of the day. The internet at the part was reasonable ($5 for three days) but the speed is horrific (1 to 2 Mbps). Nothing that I can work on. I want to travel and work from the RV during the week. I am thinking of the Verizon 8800 Jetpack, but the reviews online are abysmal. Is anyone on these forums using one? How are they working for you? I few people in this thread have referenced them...they seem to like them. I'm just wondering if there are other opinions about them on this forum.

If you are planning on working from your RV, look at a MOFI 4500 with an external Yagi directional antenna. You insert your phone's SIM card regardless as to whether Verizon, AT&T, or whatever, and the increase is pretty crazy. It seems to be able to pull a signal no matter how weak and turn it into a speed as if you are in the center of a city. I have tried jetpacks, MiFi, signal enhancers; this is the way to go, by far.

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
JohnBorgen wrote:
We just got our first RV(Coleman 2515RL) and we're actually in our first RV park for the weekend. I got here on Friday around noon expecting to work for the rest of the day. The internet at the part was reasonable ($5 for three days) but the speed is horrific (1 to 2 Mbps). Nothing that I can work on. I want to travel and work from the RV during the week. I am thinking of the Verizon 8800 Jetpack, but the reviews online are abysmal. Is anyone on these forums using one? How are they working for you? I few people in this thread have referenced them...they seem to like them. I'm just wondering if there are other opinions about them on this forum.

If you are planning on working from your RV, look at a MOFI 4500 with an external Yagi directional antenna. You insert your phone's SIM card regardless as to whether Verizon, AT&T, or whatever, and the increase is pretty crazy. It seems to be able to pull a signal no matter how weak and turn it into a speed as if you are in the center of a city. I have tried jetpacks, MiFi, signal enhancers; this is the way to go, by far.
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab

JohnBorgen
Explorer
Explorer

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
I respectfully, but strongly, disagree. With plans and tower congestion being equal, hardware makes a HUGE difference. Watch the video HERE for live comparison testing results on hotspots at the same location, same plan, same time of day. Phones are the same.

Interesting information in the link. My Pixel 3 phone has the Qualcommยฎ Snapdragonโ„ข X20 LTE modem that is a Cat 18 LTE modem so it should have the equivalent capability of the Verizon Jetpackยฎ MiFiยฎ 8800L in the video. Good to know.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We typically get better speeds on our dedicated AT&T and Verizon hotspots than we do using the WiFi hotspot feature on our LG Stylo 3 phones on Tracfone/Verizon. We also like having the separate AT&T hotspot so we can make VOIP calls from our phones in weak Verizon areas. Both of our hotspots are on grandfathered unlimited data plans subject only to network management on heavily congested towers, something we've rarely noticed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
It is very rarely the hardware that determines the throughput or bandwidth youโ€™ll receive today. With any reasonably modern modem, be it phone or a dedicated hotspot, the limitation will be how much speed you are allocated by the carrier tower. Which is a function of what plan you have (priority), and how many other users are competing for the resource (congestion).

And then thereโ€™s throttling, which is a hard speed limit built into the fine print on many plans.

I respectfully, but strongly, disagree. With plans and tower congestion being equal, hardware makes a HUGE difference. Watch the video HERE for live comparison testing results on hotspots at the same location, same plan, same time of day. Phones are the same.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
It is very rarely the hardware that determines the throughput or bandwidth youโ€™ll receive today. With any reasonably modern modem, be it phone or a dedicated hotspot, the limitation will be how much speed you are allocated by the carrier tower. Which is a function of what plan you have (priority), and how many other users are competing for the resource (congestion).

And then thereโ€™s throttling, which is a hard speed limit built into the fine print on many plans.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. appreciate the information.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We stopped with a dedicated internet device a couple iterations ago.

We stream all the time and it's our primary internet source.

Yeah, you need to keep it plugged in if using for long but that applies to phone or dedicated internet device.

In real world use, we couldn't tell the difference so no need to buy a separate device and more importantly separate monthly plan.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One of the biggest advantages of a dedicate cell phone to WiFi converter (if you buy the correct model) is an external antenna. This can make a huge difference especially if you are in an area with a weak cell phone signal.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I currently have unlocked android Pixel 3 smartphones and both have hotspots that we use on our Verizon plan. My Pixel 3 is the fourth smartphone that I have used for Internet access as we travel in our RV when we don't have good wi-fi service where we are. Never have needed to go to a separate MiFi/Jetpack. Using a phone as a hotspot does have a big impact on the battery, but we always keep the phone on a charging cable when using it as a hotspot, what little use we have for a hotspot when out of the RV is not an issue.

Contrary to a comment above, we can connect multiple devices to my Pixel 3 hotspot (we never use my wife's phone as a hotspot as we don't need to).

We don't do any streaming while traveling so can't speak for how my phone's hotspot would compare to a standalone cell-based connection for that service. Our Verizon plan is unlimited, but it does get throttled down at some fairly low data amount. For our use though (general website access, email, auto photo backup, etc) it is not a problem.

As a side note, I have had several Samsung smartphones before moving to Google phones (both to have an unlocked phone and to avoid irremovable Samsung apps), a Nexus 5 and now a second Pixel phone. I am quite happy with the Google phones. The newest Pixel 3a is a price leader ($399 from Google Store) for its function and camera quality so you should compare it to your other options for a new phone.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
jcpainter wrote:

Speeds will vary by available cell towers(Verizon, AT&T,etc.) in each location. The fastest solution in location "A" may be sub-par in location "B".

But will the speed be better, worse or the same in the same location when using 1) the Smart Phone's Mobile Hotspot vs 2) the Jetpack/mifi/separate hardware thing?

It depends on the specs of the phone and hotspot you compare. They are not all equal . . . by any means.

i.e. Speeds on my son's iPhoneX are 2-3 times what I get on my iPhone 7Plus when we are sitting side-by-side.

The same is true for hotspots. This video tells it all! Hotspot comparisons

As far as comparing using a smart phone hotspot feature vs. a separate physical hotspot, watch this one: Smart Phone vs MiFi It points out things to consider when making the choice that's right for you.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:

Speeds will vary by available cell towers(Verizon, AT&T,etc.) in each location. The fastest solution in location "A" may be sub-par in location "B".

But will the speed be better, worse or the same in the same location when using 1) the Smart Phone's Mobile Hotspot vs 2) the Jetpack/mifi/separate hardware thing?
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited