Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Jetpack vs MiFi vs Hotspot
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Jetpack vs MiFi vs Hotspot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the biggest advantages of a dedicate cell phone to WiFi converter (if you buy the correct model) is an external antenna. This can make a huge difference especially if you are in an area with a weak cell phone signal.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stopped with a dedicated internet device a couple iterations ago.

We stream all the time and it's our primary internet source.

Yeah, you need to keep it plugged in if using for long but that applies to phone or dedicated internet device.

In real world use, we couldn't tell the difference so no need to buy a separate device and more importantly separate monthly plan.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. appreciate the information.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is very rarely the hardware that determines the throughput or bandwidth you’ll receive today. With any reasonably modern modem, be it phone or a dedicated hotspot, the limitation will be how much speed you are allocated by the carrier tower. Which is a function of what plan you have (priority), and how many other users are competing for the resource (congestion).

And then there’s throttling, which is a hard speed limit built into the fine print on many plans.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

It is very rarely the hardware that determines the throughput or bandwidth you’ll receive today. With any reasonably modern modem, be it phone or a dedicated hotspot, the limitation will be how much speed you are allocated by the carrier tower. Which is a function of what plan you have (priority), and how many other users are competing for the resource (congestion).

And then there’s throttling, which is a hard speed limit built into the fine print on many plans.

I respectfully, but strongly, disagree. With plans and tower congestion being equal, hardware makes a HUGE difference. Watch the video HERE for live comparison testing results on hotspots at the same location, same plan, same time of day. Phones are the same.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We typically get better speeds on our dedicated AT&T and Verizon hotspots than we do using the WiFi hotspot feature on our LG Stylo 3 phones on Tracfone/Verizon. We also like having the separate AT&T hotspot so we can make VOIP calls from our phones in weak Verizon areas. Both of our hotspots are on grandfathered unlimited data plans subject only to network management on heavily congested towers, something we've rarely noticed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

I respectfully, but strongly, disagree. With plans and tower congestion being equal, hardware makes a HUGE difference. Watch the video HERE for live comparison testing results on hotspots at the same location, same plan, same time of day. Phones are the same.

Interesting information in the link. My Pixel 3 phone has the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X20 LTE modem that is a Cat 18 LTE modem so it should have the equivalent capability of the Verizon Jetpack® MiFi® 8800L in the video. Good to know.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

JohnBorgen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got our first RV(Coleman 2515RL) and we're actually in our first RV park for the weekend. I got here on Friday around noon expecting to work for the rest of the day. The internet at the part was reasonable ($5 for three days) but the speed is horrific (1 to 2 Mbps). Nothing that I can work on. I want to travel and work from the RV during the week. I am thinking of the Verizon 8800 Jetpack, but the reviews online are abysmal. Is anyone on these forums using one? How are they working for you? I few people in this thread have referenced them...they seem to like them. I'm just wondering if there are other opinions about them on this forum.

RetiredBeanCounter

Durango, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohnBorgen wrote:

We just got our first RV(Coleman 2515RL) and we're actually in our first RV park for the weekend. I got here on Friday around noon expecting to work for the rest of the day. The internet at the part was reasonable ($5 for three days) but the speed is horrific (1 to 2 Mbps). Nothing that I can work on. I want to travel and work from the RV during the week. I am thinking of the Verizon 8800 Jetpack, but the reviews online are abysmal. Is anyone on these forums using one? How are they working for you? I few people in this thread have referenced them...they seem to like them. I'm just wondering if there are other opinions about them on this forum.

If you are planning on working from your RV, look at a MOFI 4500 with an external Yagi directional antenna. You insert your phone's SIM card regardless as to whether Verizon, AT&T, or whatever, and the increase is pretty crazy. It seems to be able to pull a signal no matter how weak and turn it into a speed as if you are in the center of a city. I have tried jetpacks, MiFi, signal enhancers; this is the way to go, by far.

2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredBeanCounter wrote:

JohnBorgen wrote:

If you are planning on working from your RV, look at a MOFI 4500 with an external Yagi directional antenna. You insert your phone's SIM card regardless as to whether Verizon, AT&T, or whatever, and the increase is pretty crazy. It seems to be able to pull a signal no matter how weak and turn it into a speed as if you are in the center of a city. I have tried jetpacks, MiFi, signal enhancers; this is the way to go, by far.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Jetpack vs MiFi vs Hotspot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.