Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: OK --- Guilty!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > OK --- Guilty!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2006

View Profile



Posted: 08/26/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

1 oz. of bleach to 50 gal. of black water will neutralize the waste. More bleach can cause serious harm to the digestive systems of wastewater treatment systems. Please use bleach sparingly on non community waste water systems. It kills the bacteria that treat the waste.


Not sure how accurate that is. A good friend of ours retired as the county's septic inspector. She told me bleach was fine in moderation for a septic system, it is the anti-bacterial cleaners to watch out for as they will persist.

So I did some quick searching. Link1 Link2 Link3

Short answer is excessive bleach is bad. Moderate is acceptable. Excessive is defined as more than a gallon per day (around 15 loads of whites only laundry with bleach).

So yes, a large amount of bleach is bad for systems. But pouring a couple 'glugs' of bleach in to an RV black tank and subsequently dumping it is not going to ruin a septic or municipal treatment system.

-Eric


Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/26/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

1 oz. of bleach to 50 gal. of black water will neutralize the waste. More bleach can cause serious harm to the digestive systems of wastewater treatment systems. Please use bleach sparingly on non community waste water systems. It kills the bacteria that treat the waste.


Not sure how accurate that is. A good friend of ours retired as the county's septic inspector. She told me bleach was fine in moderation for a septic system, it is the anti-bacterial cleaners to watch out for as they will persist.

So I did some quick searching. Link1 Link2 Link3

Short answer is excessive bleach is bad. Moderate is acceptable. Excessive is defined as more than a gallon per day (around 15 loads of whites only laundry with bleach).

So yes, a large amount of bleach is bad for systems. But pouring a couple 'glugs' of bleach in to an RV black tank and subsequently dumping it is not going to ruin a septic or municipal treatment system.

-Eric
This is true, if there is only one person putting in those couple "glugs". But if everyone, or just a lot of people, do it, you're looking at a lot of bleach going into a septic/sewer system. It's not necessary to do it all the time and no sense getting into the habit of doing it.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2006

View Profile



Posted: 08/26/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

.....But if everyone, or just a lot of people, do it, you're looking at a lot of bleach going into a septic/sewer system. ....


Ah! However, as reference by the OP, not quite everyone is doing it:

[emoticon]

DutchmenSport wrote:

...for being lackadaisical not attending to my black tank more.


No worries. I think we both have made valid points.

-Eric

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/26/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momentum rv wrote:

Always add some water back into the black tank, it should NEVER be left empty.


Some water may remain in ours then because we've never had a problem and I always thought it was empty in between!


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


Boomerweps

Hills of PA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/30/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/26/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, talked me into it. Next trip load out will include some Dawn (which we do use at home) and 4-5 gallons of water [emoticon]


2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/26/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't care what you do, if you turn on the fan and suck the air out of your black tank, it's going to stink.


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 08/26/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momentum rv wrote:

Always add some water back into the black tank, it should NEVER be left empty.
Never say NEVER. Because, in wintertime, freezing temps..... [emoticon]


Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point


Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/26/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I don't care what you do, if you turn on the fan and suck the air out of your black tank, it's going to stink.


Correct, now consider making the fan reversible.





down home

south

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/26/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Manual says as does reasoning, that after flushing black tank to put back in about five gallons of water. That much water sloshing around going down the road is bound to loosen anything in it up. I doubt I let five gallons back into the tank put perhaps three gallons bag and two gallons or so gallons of water and the bag of ice going down the road sure will. The soap,water softener, and commercial black tank chemicals work. It's been a while since I read of pryamids in black tanks here. They always seem to be from those without flush systems or they use the facilities, at campgrounds and are in a hurry or don't want to hold people behind them up or just don't think and drain the black tank or most of it, perhaps but certainly not all of it and voila they all of a sudden realize they have a problem, some 100 degree day in mid July at a campground when the RV really stinks, or they turn a roof fan on, anywhere in the RV and stink the place up. Our RVs are particularly tight, and if the vent pipe to the black tank is the only place air can get in you stinka the place up.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/27/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

momentum rv wrote:

Always add some water back into the black tank, it should NEVER be left empty.
Never say NEVER. Because, in wintertime, freezing temps..... [emoticon]

I've always left water in the black tank, never had a problem. Don't FILL the tank, and don't leave water in your 1/2" lines. 5 gallons in a 45 gallon tank won't cause issues.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > OK --- Guilty!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS