cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Tire Thread

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Cheaper tires and replace every 2 years, or Goodyear Endurance that cost nearly 3x as much, and replace every 4-5 years?

My tires will age out (Socal) well before mileage concerns. I am stepping up from a Load D to a Load E (15").

I don't think there is a LT tire in 15"
Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
9 REPLIES 9

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The OP looks to have a 4500 gvwr single axle trailer...or 2250 lb capacity per tire. Now add 15-20 percent reserve capacity and he's looking at a ST225/75-15 load D tire at 2580 lb capacity.
The 15" LT D Wranglers have a 2080 lb capacity....not a good fit for that single axle trailer.

...snip....

You're right Jim, I had not looked at the trailer in his profile to see it was a single axle. The load capacity of the Wrangler tires I mentioned would total less than the axle rating. Not a good match.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick with a known good LT E tire line and know it to be recommended by the tire maker for trailer position use....and more importantly the tire has years and miles to back up a good service record.

Two commercial grade all steel carcass tires like the...
Michelin XPS Rib tire.
And the Bridgestone R238. Both are the holy grail in a 16" LT E.

Poly carcass tires;....
Firestone Transforce HT
Goodyear Wrangler HT
Cooper Discoverer HT 3
BFG Commercial T/A 2

These are LT tires that their mfg I (and others) have emails from their mfg stating they recommend them for trailer service.

I would stick with a LT225/75-16 tire at 29" diameter. Just be aware taller tires like the LT235/85-16 (32" dia) can have a negative affect on braking performance.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating going to the 16 LT tire. How about a budget LT225 75R16E, something like a Corsa from Discount? I don't really want to spend the $$ for Michelin.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman wrote:
Cheaper tires and replace every 2 years, or Goodyear Endurance that cost nearly 3x as much, and replace every 4-5 years?

As one who has had a stock Chinese manufactured tire split for no apparent reason I'd say the right solution is a set of Goodyear Endurance, which is what I went with. :B No way do I ever want to be stuck on the side of a busy highway with a blown trailer tire. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Chinese tires don't care how new or old they are when they blow. Brand new tires have blown between the manufacturer and the dealer. I've seen spares blow that have never been on the ground and some never blow. It's a real **** shoot. You gotta have some gambler in your blood if you're going to run Chinese bombs. If you can get an LT tire that would be best. If you can't then get the Goodyear Endurance, which is made in the US.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The OP looks to have a 4500 gvwr single axle trailer...or 2250 lb capacity per tire. Now add 15-20 percent reserve capacity and he's looking at a ST225/75-15 load D tire at 2580 lb capacity.
The 15" LT D Wranglers have a 2080 lb capacity....not a good fit for that single axle trailer.

Being made in the USA doesn't mean much as far as a ST tire goes. Hell at one time all ST class tires were made in the USA by our domestic tire makers.....and yes we had the same problems with them even then.

Right now looking around the net at the many different trailering websites the best bang for the bucks in a 15" ST D or E is the Providers. They've been on the road since the '10 era and are the first of the new gen higher speed rated ST tires. They started out in the equipment/flatbed trailer industry in '10 and made the grade on time and miles of service.
I just replaced four ST235/80-16 E on one of my 10k car haulers. The tires were OEM = 9+ years old and 25k+ miles. Bought them from Amazon for 102 bucks plus tax and free shipping to my home. Had my truck tire dealer mount them for 24 bucks.

Another option is sell the 15" tires and wheels on CL and buy two 16" trailer wheels and go with a LT225/75-16 E at 2680 lbs per tire and enjoy 7-8 years of trouble free service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a blowout in the Chinese Exploder type on my way from MI to WI last week. I got 5 years and 16,800 miles out of them so I did pretty well. I was doing 65 in I-94 when it went so I slowed immediately to 20mph, hit the hazard flashers and pulled as far onto the shoulder as I dared. I was lucky I was only 3/4 of a mile from a ramp and when I hit the ramp I slowed to 5mph. Wheel well damage was negligible with a little insulation being spattered across the road and the over wheel skirt was shattered.

I'm getting 4 Goodyear Endurance at $138 apiece installed ad my speed limit will go from 65 to a rated speed of 87, (N rating), so I can squeeze an extra 10mph out of the trailer making trips a little quicker. The inflation goes from 65 to 85psi giving a better ride/experience and potentially some mpg savings.

I'm not unhappy with the whole deal...

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I have 15" Good Year Wrangler HT, LT tires on my horse trailer.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman wrote:

My tires will age out (Socal) well before mileage concerns. I am stepping up from a Load D to a Load E (15").

I don't think there is a LT tire in 15"
Gman
Do you have any idea of how much damage a blown tire can do?
That should change the equation away from cheap tires..

At any rate, I do not recomment ST tires at all. And I have found that the best, LTs are actually affordable in the long run.
If you have 15s, then 16s will most likely fit. You will need rims, and possibbly 6 lug drums.
I did this on my First TT I converted to LTs. I sold the old stuff on Craigs list to defray the upgrade costs. I also sell my Michelin XPS RIBS on CL at he 5 year mark. I get 300.00 for a set. And the first person to see them buys them everytime.

With all of that My cost per year really isn't bad. And if you factor in the damage I am likely avoiding..... The calculation looks really good.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW