Looks like the 4.8 was Fake News...

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ib516 wrote:
The AWD Hemi charger and the EcoBoost Taurus are about the same power and performance wise, but the Charger handles better.

I was on a freeway ramp and I tend to take this one a bit spirited in my charger on the way home from work. I saw a Taurus coming up on me and said heck no. Took it really spirited, but not so much the tires were talking... **** T was hanging with me. Accelerated up to traffic speed and he was still hanging with me. Nobody's ever managed to do both! Mile or so down the road he got beside me and I saw it was SHO ๐Ÿ™‚

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
AlwaysOnTheRoad wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Back when Ford was making the Crown Vics/Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Cars, they went from a 5.0 to a 4.6 (if memory serves me right), and if this is correct, the Police Intercepter version of the Crown Vic had a beefed up 4.6. To what extent I don't know, but do know the 4.6's were pretty stout.

The difference was cam profiles and duel exhaust. It made about 25hp over the civilian version.

Cams were the same. Just a normal 4.6 with dual exhaust.

They had oil coolers and different driveshafts for running high speed...a few other things I'm sure.

But they didn't make any more power than a civilian crown vic/grand marquis with the optional dual exhaust.

I remember seeing a comparison that found that the civilian version would outrun the fully equipped police version, most likely because of the extra weight of the police equipment.

Ya, the Crown Vics weren't very fast in today's terms, but tough as nails.

Interesting note, I "drag raced" (on a test track while doing some driver training) an old school Crown Vic against a then new AWD Taurus with the non turbo V6. They ran side by side up to about 50 mph when we ran out of straightaway space.

The EcoBoost Taurus is very quick in comparison and would blow the doors off a CV any day. The EcoBoost Explorer is fun to drive, and also much quicker than the CV was, but doesn't feel as quick as the car. Problem is the car (Taurus) is TINY and hard to get in and out of. We quit buying them, and almost exclusively use AWD V6 Explorers for our patrol cars at my department in Canada. We have a few EcoBoosts, but mostly N/A V6 for now. In unmarked traffic vehicles we have pickups and a couple Chargers added to the mix. The AWD Hemi charger and the EcoBoost Taurus are about the same power and performance wise, but the Charger handles better.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
parker.rowe wrote:
AlwaysOnTheRoad wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Back when Ford was making the Crown Vics/Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Cars, they went from a 5.0 to a 4.6 (if memory serves me right), and if this is correct, the Police Intercepter version of the Crown Vic had a beefed up 4.6. To what extent I don't know, but do know the 4.6's were pretty stout.

The difference was cam profiles and duel exhaust. It made about 25hp over the civilian version.

They had oil coolers and different driveshafts for running high speed...a few other things I'm sure.

But they didn't make any more power than a civilian crown vic/grand marquis with the optional dual exhaust.

I remember seeing a comparison that found that the civilian version would outrun the fully equipped police version, most likely because of the extra weight of the police equipment.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:

The 5.0 has more rated horsepower than the Ecoboost but for some reason the 5.0 always get whupped when the two are put side by side. I can't explain it, I just know that it happens. I do know some former 5.0 owners that traded for an Ecoboost and are very happy with the choice. I don't know any that have gone the other way. The 5.0 is a good engine but it seems that except for the sound most people now prefer the Ecoboost. This new motor might change that.

Ecoboost vs 5.0

As it should. The Ecoboost is a stronger engine and better for towing. More torque and wider power band.
I was speaking to the marketing aspect.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:
Guess I'm one of the few that had a less than stellar experience with the 4.6L V8. I consider it to be a lifetime ago and wouldn't allow it to influence my thoughts on current technology.

I've had a couple problematic 5.4s too. Nothing related to the long block, but emissions, electronics, injectors. Still think they're good engines

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
AlwaysOnTheRoad wrote:
ACZL wrote:

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

AlwaysOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:

2016 F150 4X4 2.7EcoBoost 6Speed 3:55's / 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL ToyHauler

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Interesting that the article says nothing about the bread-and-butter EcoBoost engines.

Why would it? The article is an advertisement for the NEW engine.

They want people who bought an Ecoboost in the last 2-3 years to see the new engine and trade in their trucks. Late model low mileage used trucks sell for almost original list price, so it's a win-win for the dealers and Ford.

Bingo. More advertised hp than the mighty Eco and not alot less torque.
The hp number will get touted for marketing purposes.
And regardless of the low end grunt of the Eco and its good track record, a n/a V8 is still a simpler, very likely less expensive throughout the life cycle engine.
But then again, on this forum, someone could advertise a 600hp small block with 25mpg and a no questions asked 200k warranty and there would be a line of naysayers around the block waiting to tell the world why they think its a POS or somehow unimpressive.

The 5.0 has more rated horsepower than the Ecoboost but for some reason the 5.0 always get whupped when the two are put side by side. I can't explain it, I just know that it happens. I do know some former 5.0 owners that traded for an Ecoboost and are very happy with the choice. I don't know any that have gone the other way. The 5.0 is a good engine but it seems that except for the sound most people now prefer the Ecoboost. This new motor might change that.

Ecoboost vs 5.0

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I'm one of the few that had a less than stellar experience with the 4.6L V8. I consider it to be a lifetime ago and wouldn't allow it to influence my thoughts on current technology.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jebby14 wrote:
the 4.6 modular that replaces the 302 (5.0) was awesome. it was not up to par for todays output numbers but it was bullet proof and easy to wrench on. I have the coyote 5L in mine and I love it. I'm sure this will be similar tec. the new 7.3 L coming has me more excited. heard it was old tec push rod motor that ill actually know how to work on. both build in my back yard.

I like the 3.5 eco boost but there is too much extra to go wrong for too little gain. cousin has one. his numbers are close to the same as mine but he had to pay for it and while ill never change a turbo........ he will. now if I could change the NA 3.5 in my explorer for the 3.5 eco in the sport trim id be on that like a fat kid on cake.

Never been a blue oval guy but have driven Ford trucks almost exclusively for that last 25 years daily as work trucks.
The 4.6 is a great engine IMO. Enough so that I sought out that for our son's car. And save for the breakaway spark plugs (which I corrected already) they are like you said pretty bulletproof and easy to work on.
Bang for the buck, that little 300hp engine absolutely rips.

I spent enough time back in the 90s and early 2000s driving 4.6s and 5.4s with my foot to the floorboard all day running 4000-5000 rpms nonstop with a trailer hooked up to have some faith in them.
And the couple 5.0 Coyote engine trucks I had pulled better than any 1/2 ton at the time and side by side, seemed to have the same towing power as the 6.2 in the F250s. Both also great engines.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Interesting that the article says nothing about the bread-and-butter EcoBoost engines.

They want people who bought an Ecoboost in the last 2-3 years to see the new engine and trade in their trucks. Late model low mileage used trucks sell for almost original list price, so it's a win-win for the dealers and Ford.

Bingo. More advertised hp than the mighty Eco and not alot less torque.
The hp number will get touted for marketing purposes.
And regardless of the low end grunt of the Eco and its good track record, a n/a V8 is still a simpler, very likely less expensive throughout the life cycle engine.
But then again, on this forum, someone could advertise a 600hp small block with 25mpg and a no questions asked 200k warranty and there would be a line of naysayers around the block waiting to tell the world why they think its a POS or somehow unimpressive.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Ford is trying to cover all of the bases. Some people really want a V8 in their truck so Ford is going to provide that option for them. I do like the simplicity of this engine and find it amazing that a 4.8L will be able to provide nearly twice as much power as my 7.5L Ford did.

Personally, I am more interested in the hybrid coming out. If it offers the benefits of the system used in the Aviator or the new police version of the Explorer it will have a lot to offer. In addition, Ford has specifically mentioned that it will be able to produce jobsite power for contractors.

Also, Ford has made a major investment in Rivian so we should expect some of their tech to show up in Ford vehicles even if it isn't a complete electric truck.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
the 4.6 modular that replaces the 302 (5.0) was awesome. it was not up to par for todays output numbers but it was bullet proof and easy to wrench on. I have the coyote 5L in mine and I love it. I'm sure this will be similar tec. the new 7.3 L coming has me more excited. heard it was old tec push rod motor that ill actually know how to work on. both build in my back yard.

I like the 3.5 eco boost but there is too much extra to go wrong for too little gain. cousin has one. his numbers are close to the same as mine but he had to pay for it and while ill never change a turbo........ he will. now if I could change the NA 3.5 in my explorer for the 3.5 eco in the sport trim id be on that like a fat kid on cake.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....