cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping mice out what do you do?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I live in a rural area with lots of mice they are impossible to irradiate. I have had major damage to my last RV a 5th wheel where they got into everything and I ended up replacing all the heater duct what a job.

We have killed 2 so far in the motor home what do you do to keep them out? I have areas that can't be completely sealed under the bed there is an area that has a lot of wiring it seems to be open on top and very hard to get to, I think that maybe where they can get in. I keep the MH under a free standing metal RV carport that is adjacent to 80 acres of forest with an endless supply of vermin.

So far we just have some traps set but I am wondering about the plug in sonic deterrents?
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
14 REPLIES 14

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
I keep a โ€œ Wheel of death โ€œ at home near my rig. Simple Home Depot type of bucket of water with a rod through it at the top and through a pop can with some peanut butter on it. It just spins and the mice drown in the water. You tube it to see it work.

I tried that in the barn and never caught a mouse I trap lots of them in the barn with the good old victor type traps.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Find an outside cat, make a nice cozy box for it to sleep in in the shed. Give it some food and water and access to outside. You won't have a mouse problem anymore.

The coyotes have eaten 3 cats.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a โ€œ Wheel of death โ€œ at home near my rig. Simple Home Depot type of bucket of water with a rod through it at the top and through a pop can with some peanut butter on it. It just spins and the mice drown in the water. You tube it to see it work.

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use Fresh Cab. Works for me..
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Another alternative is to go camping more! It's hard for mice to hitch a ride when the camper is moving!

Yes - I've found starting and running the engine and generator more regularly keeps them away.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I use fresh cab. It works, but you have to keep it fresh (replace it every 30 days). I've tried D-Con and the like, but have found dead mice around the property. I don't want the fox eating poisoned mouse carcasses so I don't use it anymore.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Find an outside cat, make a nice cozy box for it to sleep in in the shed. Give it some food and water and access to outside. You won't have a mouse problem anymore.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Another alternative is to go camping more! It's hard for mice to hitch a ride when the camper is moving!

srdeane
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
How often do you have to replenish the peppermint oil? Will it last all winter?

We check the rv a couple of times during the winter. I usually refresh the peppermint oil at least once during the storage period.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer

How often do you have to replenish the peppermint oil? Will it last all winter?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

srdeane
Explorer
Explorer
In my previous rv, a travel trailer, I tried Irish Spring soap, dryer sheets, and Fresh Cab. None of those worked. And specifically, the mice built a nest in the Fresh Cab.

I finally tried oil of peppermint. I dropped three to six drops of the oil onto a cotton ball and put three cotton balls in little aluminum foil trays. I put these trays in every possible location where a mouse might go, particularly the under sink areas, drawers, cabinets, closets, etc. No mice! Not only did I have no nests, but there was no indication they were ever in those areas with the oil of peppermint. No indications of mice anywhere in the rig.

I endorse oil of peppermint. I use it now every winter. It is intense immediately after you open up your rig for the season, but by removing all of the little foil trays and opening windows and airing out your rig for a couple of hours, the scent is gone.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
couple things work for us. and mine sits in a bldg like yours fresh cab bought at farm supply stores. and peppermint oil ,I by mine on ebay. and traps OUTSIDE the rv . no mice for years. and its a never ending fight , but they don,t like these products.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
I live in a rural area with lots of mice they are impossible to irradiate. I have had major damage to my last RV a 5th wheel where they got into everything and I ended up replacing all the heater duct what a job.

We have killed 2 so far in the motor home what do you do to keep them out? I have areas that can't be completely sealed under the bed there is an area that has a lot of wiring it seems to be open on top and very hard to get to, I think that maybe where they can get in. I keep the MH under a free standing metal RV carport that is adjacent to 80 acres of forest with an endless supply of vermin.

So far we just have some traps set but I am wondering about the plug in sonic deterrents?

Had an invasion of my boat once, while on an extended RV trip. Next time, put in the deterrents with success, but that can't mean anything, since we never had the problem before the one time anyway and forgot about refreshing with new, over the last 2 month trip.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I keep coach inside building. I have about 15 traps inside the building. I check them every couple of days.

I also have 2 traps at every corner of the coach.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride