cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado to Maine

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a 2020 fall trip from Colorado to Maine, with stops at Rv Hall of Fame and Museum, maybe a GD factory tour, Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, Hyde Park NY(FDR), Lincolns grave site, Acadia. I really don't want to do the tolls but if I have to I will(would like to spend money on other things). Should I get an EZ pass? or do I take I70 instead of I80? Any suggestions for other stops? I am thinking this is a month or so trip.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
6 REPLIES 6

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
do I take I70 instead of I80?
We have found I-70 preferable to I-80 across the middle of the country. Generally a lot less truck traffic and the road seems in better shape (probably because of less truck traffic).

There's more to do in Springfield than just Lincoln's Grave. Lincoln Home NHS is definitely worth your time, as is the Lincoln Library.

If you're going to Acadia from Niagara Falls, head east through the Adirondacks and the White Mountains (maybe take the Kancamagus Highway or US 302 through Crawford Notch).

We're not big fans of big cities, esp. when towing. To visit Boston, we stayed at Shawme-Crowell State Forest not far from the Cape Cod Canal. (Scusset Beach State Reservation was closed at the time). Took the train into Boston. Also could visit the Cape. Took a day trip on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Rented some cruiser bicycles to tour the beaches.

Newport RI has some amazing "cottages" (OK, mansions) right along the coast. The Cliff Walk allows you to walk along the amazing shoreline and look up at these amazing homes.

Mystic Seaport, CT is an interesting place to stop and get a primer on seafaring in the 18th and 19th centuries. Great for mountain dwellers like us. Lots of historic vessels.

Of all the big east coast cities to visit, Washington D.C. is #1 on our list. If you have the time and haven't been there, go! Plan on several days and just pick a few museums and monuments to visit. You can't see it all even with lots of days to do it.

Other places to consider:
Williamsburg, VA
Steamtown NHS near Scranton, PA
Monicello (what an amazing diversity of interests Jefferson had)
Gettyburg, PA

Since you "only" have a month, I'd make a beeline across the central part of the country out and back to concentrate on the sites in the east (although Springfield, IL is definitely a must do). The last time we went out, we rode Amtrak and took our tent and sleeping bags. Two days of train travel each direction then rented a car for a month. Still rushed (did spend five full days in D.C.).

The DW is from Mass. so I have seen a lot of the stuff around Boston and surrounding areas. I have done DC and Gettysburg already.I don't have a month I am retired so I was just guessing at a time frame. But I do welcome all suggestions.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
do I take I70 instead of I80?
We have found I-70 preferable to I-80 across the middle of the country. Generally a lot less truck traffic and the road seems in better shape (probably because of less truck traffic).

There's more to do in Springfield than just Lincoln's Grave. Lincoln Home NHS is definitely worth your time, as is the Lincoln Library.

If you're going to Acadia from Niagara Falls, head east through the Adirondacks and the White Mountains (maybe take the Kancamagus Highway or US 302 through Crawford Notch).

We're not big fans of big cities, esp. when towing. To visit Boston, we stayed at Shawme-Crowell State Forest not far from the Cape Cod Canal. (Scusset Beach State Reservation was closed at the time). Took the train into Boston. Also could visit the Cape. Took a day trip on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Rented some cruiser bicycles to tour the beaches.

Newport RI has some amazing "cottages" (OK, mansions) right along the coast. The Cliff Walk allows you to walk along the amazing shoreline and look up at these amazing homes.

Mystic Seaport, CT is an interesting place to stop and get a primer on seafaring in the 18th and 19th centuries. Great for mountain dwellers like us. Lots of historic vessels.

Of all the big east coast cities to visit, Washington D.C. is #1 on our list. If you have the time and haven't been there, go! Plan on several days and just pick a few museums and monuments to visit. You can't see it all even with lots of days to do it.

Other places to consider:
Williamsburg, VA
Steamtown NHS near Scranton, PA
Monicello (what an amazing diversity of interests Jefferson had)
Gettyburg, PA

Since you "only" have a month, I'd make a beeline across the central part of the country out and back to concentrate on the sites in the east (although Springfield, IL is definitely a must do). The last time we went out, we rode Amtrak and took our tent and sleeping bags. Two days of train travel each direction then rented a car for a month. Still rushed (did spend five full days in D.C.).
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

If you do decide to get a transponder, I've heard that the NC quick pass is the way to go. It works in most of the Eastern seaboard and is the least expensive .

It's worth comparing costs generally for various EZPass members. If you have electronic statements and a credit card for auto-refill, there are no additional fees from New York and the transponder is free, for one example. (That's the New York Thruway Commission, not the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which has a different fee structure....)

Traveling without EZPass is not at all impossible, but it is less convenient and in many cases costs more.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
David_and_Chris wrote:
I believe you could travel through the Southern Tier of NYS (I-86 or NY17). This will bring you through Corning then wander a little north to Cooperstown. Depending on your timing after Cooperstown you can wander down I-88 to I81 and go east on on I-84 to get to HYDE Park. I would get E-Z pass. Lately they have only one cashier with the rest being E-Z pass, like MA. NY is going to E-Z Pass. I-86, I-88, and I-81 are all 4 lane interstates that are toll free. The further east you go the highways will be less and less toll free.

Going I-86/NY17 is a good route that is toll free.

While at Hyde Park, you might want to stop at the CIA ( Culinary INstitute of America) and partake in one of their great dining experiences. Reserve in advance .

An option to get to Maine and avoid some of the crazy traffic and tolls in Mass/Conn , would be to head north to Vermont and take US2 over to Bangor. We've done that a couple of times. Roads are pretty good and no issues for a big rig .

We go to Acadia every year and haven't had an issue with tolls. NYS Thruway and Mass Pike will get ya, but there are many other, more pleasant paths that don't take a significant time longer.

If you do decide to get a transponder, I've heard that the NC quick pass is the way to go. It works in most of the Eastern seaboard and is the least expensive .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to pay a toll to cross the Hudson unless you go all the way up to Albany, then it's the Mass Pike which has tolls. Also, I-95 in NH and ME has tolls.

Going to Hyde park, it makes sense to cross the Newburgh Bridge which I believe is around $15 in tolls. EZPass is your friend in the northeast. The Mass Pike is all electronic tolls.

From Hyde Park it is possible and quite scenic to avoid tolls, just not very fast. US9 to I-90 to Albany, I-787 to Troy then Route 7 in NY to Route 9 in VT to US202 through NH and ME.

Stay off the Taconic Parkway.

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you could travel through the Southern Tier of NYS (I-86 or NY17). This will bring you through Corning then wander a little north to Cooperstown. Depending on your timing after Cooperstown you can wander down I-88 to I81 and go east on on I-84 to get to HYDE Park. I would get E-Z pass. Lately they have only one cashier with the rest being E-Z pass, like MA. NY is going to E-Z Pass. I-86, I-88, and I-81 are all 4 lane interstates that are toll free. The further east you go the highways will be less and less toll free.
David