Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Learn about solar for rv's
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Learn about solar for rv's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I guess I already know all I need to know about solar. The sun shines, the panels collect the energy and the wires transmit it to the batteries.
Actually that is about it. Insert a controller and you are good to go.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fifteen watts won’t charge anything. It might maintain your battery. Solar installation is pretty easy...except the wiring from the roof panels to the controller to the batteries but I did it. So can you. Use a larger wire than your calculations indicate is necessary.

* This post was edited 08/26/19 04:53pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E. Bishop,

Do an energy audit. From that determine the size of battery bank. Then design a system that will recharge the bank while running the parasitic loads.

Or--you can just slap on 600 watts of panels--which will handle almost all loads except for running the roof air conditioner.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I “slapped” 300. I wish I’d slapped 500 which would have fit.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

By the way I'm 79 years old and I have been retired for 24+ years, longer than most of you have been members or even smart allecks.

I'll just seek some pros for help.
I'm not quite sure what to make of these comments.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a Google search for DIY solar books and found a couple of dozen books including one from the 'For Dummies' folks.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Bobby F

MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strongly recommend the Will Prowse book already shown above, plus any of his Youtube videos found here - https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse/videos .

Knows his stuff, communicates it well, aims many of his lessons at beginners. Plus, he's enthusiastic, which makes him fun to watch.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

D.E. Bishop,

Do an energy audit. From that determine the size of battery bank. Then design a system that will recharge the bank while running the parasitic loads.

Or--you can just slap on 600 watts of panels--which will handle almost all loads except for running the roof air conditioner.
My first solar purchase was a battery monitor so I could better understand my power requirements and I did not want the add one update/improvement at a time approach and I did not want to be on the roof tilting panels.

Next was the roof layout with different sized solar panels and the effect of evil producing shadows from roof appliances like A/Cs. While this led to a variety of options I decided on 3X 250W panels raised 6" above the roof and some roof items. Anytime the sun is above 10 degree elevation no shadows and with some rig orientations no shadows on the panels period.

While I have an electrical background I had no prior solar experience. Research provided the information I wanted.

Holding up your credit card is a good option if and only if it's a good and knowledgable installer and to many are not.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I don't know squat about solar systems and the equipment involved in RVs.

I guess I already know all I need to know about solar. The sun shines, the panels collect the energy and the wires transmit it to the batteries.

It really is that simple.

Determine how much money you're willing to spend, that will lead you to number of watts available to charge your batteries. Like everything else in life, cheapest is usually not best quality, but neither is most expensive.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to "Learn by doing". A couple of hundred dollars (or less) will get a usable basic kit which will let you learn about the fun of solar and economic choices. I am not smart enough to get such things perfect the first try. I enjoy the trying and learning. There are too many variables including cost, limitations, intended use, storage capacity, etc. for the one size fits all option. I would be bored to death if I paid an "expert" to set me up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Learn about solar for rv's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.