cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

backup camera on trailer

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
Searching around looking for a backup camera for the back of the trailer. I have found several 100 dollar or so wireless cameras but am just not sure how to get power to the camera since it will be on the back of my 19ft trailer and not my pickup.
9 REPLIES 9

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before anybody recommends Tadi Brothers, let me the first to tell you NO, don't buy from them. After I ordered the product a friend recommended I not use them... one of those, I should have asked first. I was lied to about the product and price. Lied to about shipment. Blamed for not returning everything, even tho the box was literally opened up only to put in the return paperwork.

I did purchase a camera off amazon from istrong. They claim they will send the furion adapter cable and bracket for free... they never did, but I didn't push it, my time was very limited and paid $10 to get it from someone else.

RangerFred
Explorer
Explorer
I will look into the WiFi hitch camera mentioned above.

For a free hack, try this:

Using 2 iPhones, establish a face-time call. You will have to toggle camera orientation, but I strapped my iPhone to the bumper of my TT with the back-side camera active and pointing away from the TT. I placed my wife's phone with the Face-time call active on the dash of my Expedition.

While the picture is wider than I would like, the picture was sufficient to aid me as I am really poor at backing. I could hear my wife's directions too as she was the spotter. During research, I saw that some of the wireless camera have a 40' range. The Face-time range is unlimited.

Not a great solution, but it is free.

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
If you only plan on using it when you back up, just use the backup light feed from your truck's 7 way connector. Your trailer might even have a backup light wire at the back. Along with the camera, backup lights are a really nice mod that is easy to do.

how would i do this? wouldnt the wire then run all the way from the front of the trailer to the back?

i have a starcraft 19bhle so not sure if it is prewired or not. ill try to find the manual and see if i can find it.

also anyone have a recommendation for a fairly inexpensive camera. just going to use it to check behind me before backing up so i dont need a spotter all the time.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kenwood in dash navigation unit that i'm going to install the Kenwood rear camera to the back of my T/T its going to be hard wired up to the receiver with power for the camera
Jay D.

ragged_claws
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a WiFi Hitch Camera from Rear View Safety. It uses a dedicated WiFi signal from an Ipad via a free app. It not only works while on my tailgate (magnetic mount) when viewing my hitch ball and trailer tongue, but when mounted on the wheel of my spare tire, allows me a good view of what's behind my trailer when backing up. The camera runs on a rechargeable battery and the charge will last for a few hours. This works for me since I only use it to hitch up the trailer or back up the trailer at a campsite or my storage space. It wouldn't be suitable for constant use while travelling down the highway. I should add that my trailer is only 16' long and, while the signal from the back of the trailer to the cab is very good, I don't know if it would work well on a trailer that was much longer.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is powered by a marker light on the roof of the trailer.
Bill and Joey the dog

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If you only plan on using it when you back up, just use the backup light feed from your truck's 7 way connector. Your trailer might even have a backup light wire at the back. Along with the camera, backup lights are a really nice mod that is easy to do.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a back up camara that works with my Garmin seeing how I usually have it with me. It is wireless. I drilled a hole below the center lite on my trailer, removed the light housing, ran the wires to it. Bed is in the rear with cabinet above, drilled hole in ceiling inside cabinet to get the plug thru and mounted on the wall with double sided tape. Trailer is 32ft and Garmin receives signal just fine. Yes I have to turn the lights on to use it but I'm only backing up with it. Sealed the hole and resealed the light housing with caulk.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Furrion on my 5er. The camper came "pre-wired" which means, they just tapped into one of the wires for the running lights. When I installed it, I could see the wires.

Lots of folks tap into one of the rear overhead clearance lights, or one of the tail lights.

Doing so, requires you to run with your headlights on so the camera on the trailer will be on. When you turn the head lights off, or unplug from the tow vehicle, the camera goes out.

You'll need to find the wire for your running lights and tap into that. It sounds easy, but may prove to be a harder chore than imagined.

You could potentially run a dedicated hot wire from the battery all the way to the back with an independent switch for off-and-on too. You'll just have to figure out the logistics of your specific camper.

Good luck!