Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camera facing front for lowing branches - anyone use.?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Camera facing front for lowing branches - anyone use.?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bright Stars

Arp, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 30' 2007 Coachman Concord - the backup camera has gotten almost non usable so faded.
Want to upgrade to a color monitor.

I'm wondering if other people have tried adding a front facing camera for low hanging branches.
I know there have been other places besides my driveway were it would have been really helpful.
I could use power from vent on the front of the roof.

What I have now is a voyager, the monitor slides out and flips up for viewing. Currently it does not want to do that. Hard to get to temp controls behind it too.

I understand wired is better than wireless. I'm thinking the new wiring is different than what is in there now.
I have no clue how I would run a new wire from the back to the front. I can handle wiring for a wireless system.
Sadly we do not use the unit much lately. When my older husband passes, I want to travel. I would rather have a shorter unit say 24-26'.
So until I figure out what I really want to do a lot - my best option is to keep the unit that is paid for. grin
Anyway I would like to keep from spending big bucks on the color monitor if I don't keep the unit.

My sister listens to scraping noises on her sides.
Uh, not on my paint job thank you.

Any shared thoughts would be welcome.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see why not. Add a camera at the front/rear pointing to the horizon to see obstructions when moving in either direction.
Probably cheaper than a roof or paint repair.
I would try to go 12V DC wireless, with a remote view screen.

Maybe some place like Best Buy could get you started/pointed in the right direction?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wireless stuff has been around for some time and they have not figured it all out yet. That's up to you if you want to try a system or not.

Im not a fan of anything that's wireless, been burned one two many times. That includes truck camper jacks and air bags [emoticon]
I have had a lot of wireless issues communicating between the two devices in any type of wireless system. I tried a wireless camera and it fluttered too much to the point where my eyes are still 'blinking' and I don't have the system anymore. [emoticon]

here is a thread to read for more info.....
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28685612.cfm

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only issue I see concerning a top-mounted camera that faces forward, is the obvious. One bug plastered on the lens will render it useless. How many times of getting on the roof to clean it will it take before you give up?

Just maybe you could find a place up top where bugs won't splat on it, yet it provides the right view.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, have some of the radar sensors you see on the rear of car bumpers up on the front edge. We have them for front and rear of our DD. I'm adding them to the rear of my towed as they are only a few dollars and I have the panels off and wiring exposed at the moment.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Bright Stars

Arp, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike - Thanks - Best Buy, I didn't think of them for sure.

Bob - Yes, if cell phones count - wireless not always reliable with me either. Hope your eyes stop fluttering soon.

Ron - Good point about the bugs. Maybe a movable hood could be used so it is only exposed when you need to use it. Beyond my electrical capabilities there. Behind the roof vent would block bugs, but the view not so hot either. grin. Have to think more about that. I know that you have loved your Phoenix and I keep admiring it too - just not the price tag.

Still to avoid new roof or paint job makes you think. Obviously I go out and about at times.

thanks all.

Bright Stars

Arp, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E. - what an interesting idea. Certainly never thought of them. Can't see, but they would alert you if too close. hmmm
Where do you find them ??

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THAT would probably help HERE

Or HERE

OR even HERE

Bright Stars

Arp, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, - have seen several like that online lately.
I think there are more low railroad bridges back East than elsewhere.

My low motorhome would have been safe there -
Looks like you and your car would have been safe also. grin

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm don't see how a front mounted camera could reliably differentiate between a high overpass farther away and a lower one nearer to the vehicle; it has (basically) no way of determining distance, just angular offset from the centerline of the camera. With a binocular camera system and a bunch of computer processing you could get around that.

Rear view backup cameras can estimate distances on the ground by assuming the ground is a flat plane underneath the vehicles wheels, so the distance is directly related to the position seen by the camera. That doesn't work overhead (nor does it work if the ground slope changes beyond the wheels--as an extreme example, if just in front of a vertical wall).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Camera facing front for lowing branches - anyone use.?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS