Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tongue jack collapsed, TT nose crashed down - ouch!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tongue jack collapsed, TT nose crashed down - ouch!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 3 weeks of wonderful holidays, had to pack up yesterday and drive home.
Looking at the skies, dark grey rolling in, better hit the road soon.

Usual stuff, put things away, disconnect services and all that.

Retracted the stabilizer jacks, backed the truck close to the tongue, leaving just enough room for me to stand and operate the crank. Nose has to be fairly high to get it on the ball so I start cranking.

Meanwhile, the skies opened up big time and I'm getting soaked.

This thing has been giving me some issues starting on this trip. Crank has a tight spot part way up. Even posted a thread here about lubing it as it was getting hard to crank.
And another thread about suggestions for an electric jack replacement.

Well, I had it up almost high enough to get it on the hitch when suddenly, with no warning, BAM!!! The jack failed and the nose of the TT came crashing down onto the landing block. This happened so blinking fast and sudden, there was no time to react. It was on the ground right now! Wow, just wow. It fell about a foot.

Took me about an hour and a half with a bottle jack and a bunch of wood blocks to pick it up and get it hitched.

And the thing I am most thankful about is that when I do this, I ALWAYS position my feet, body, hands in such a way that if something happens, I am out of the way. Years of doing this paid off, no injury to me because I stay right out of the way. Sure did startle the heck out of me though.... This could have done some serious damage to me.

Got home last night, parked out front and went out and bought a replacement today. After 3 weeks off work and spending a bunch on the vacation, a fancy electric jack isn't in the budget yet. Bought another hand crank.

Perhaps a little warning to others, pay attention to your tongue jack, if it's starting to bind, don't fool around, replace it!

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that is downright scary, glad you kept your body out of harms way. A jack can be replaced, you cannot. [emoticon]

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 03:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That stinks! Good thing you kept your body out of harms way.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the most dangerous time is when one unhooks the ball from the trailer and here is where an electric jack is a HUGE HELP. When doing this I always stand as far to the side and towards the trailer when raising the tongue to disconnect it from the ball and am ready to jump further out of the way side ways if necessary.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Princess Auto always has them on sale. Have had mine on for close to 5 years with no issue.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you did not get hurt. And glad your camper did not get hurt either.

I never had any of my tongue jacks fail on any of my previous TT's, but I did have the wind blow one once and it slipped off the block of wood I kept under the jack. I did not have a wheel or foot on the jack, so it sunk into the dirt (yes, it was grass), clear up to the bottom of the A-frame. It was a real challenge getting a jack under the frame anywhere to raise it. First, it was soft mud, second the frame was so low to the ground. Well, as you can tell, I finally got it off the ground.

Glad you are OK.

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on Princess Auto. Much cheaper than purchasing an electric or hand crank jack at an RV dealer.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s no fun...dangerous. At least you were prepared with a bottle jack and blocks.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you are safe.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

popeyemth

owensboro ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

32 feet-PER SECOND
That’s the speed things fall.
Darn right it’s fast!

"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tongue jack collapsed, TT nose crashed down - ouch!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.