Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Nightmare Repair
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Nightmare Repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

timmac wrote:

Diesels are so complicating and costly to repair, glad I have a gas motorhome..

They can be expensive, complicated they are not.

I have both a gas farm tractor and a diesel farm tractor. I have been fighting my gasser for 2 years now. I think I may have finally fixed it last Saturday. We'll see.

As Larry Cad noted, there are only a few very simple things that could/should have caused the OPs issue. Like the others, I sure would like to know what the shop did - and didn't, do.

Obviously you haven't seen or worked on late model diesels! Complicated they are as to the operating system. However the OP's issue should be a simple one!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

H & E

North Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is an up date to information.

Chassis is Freighliner with CAT 3126 Engine, 58K miles

The diagnostic team recommended that the cracked coolant tank be replaced.( I had already ordered a new tank and it is waiting for me at the next planned stop) (I did wrap the cracked area with fiberglass in an attempt to keep it going and it was working for several hundred miles) The water pump belt be tightened. The air cleaner be replaced. All of that was done. Fee for diagnostic activities was $300.00. I do not know what all they checked.

Total cost for this fiasco was just shy of 4K for repair and hotel and meals out. Taking it back to the place that screwed us is not an option. It appears that they do not have the talent/expertise to make the correct repair.

On several occasions I told them the cooling fan was not coming on. I even asked them to order another fan control unit as I thought that was probably the issue. They said when we did something (I don't remember the term he used) to check the fan it worked. They did mention checking the fan clutch.

We have re-planned our trip to go to Phoenix. I will contact Massey to see about a correct fix.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Obviously you haven't seen or worked on late model diesels! Complicated they are as to the operating system. However the OP's issue should be a simple one!

Correct. New diesels are more complicated (I own a 2016 Super Duty diesel, open the hood and you'll see complicated!), the OPs is about as simple as it gets! [emoticon]

H & E wrote:

Here is an up date to information.

Chassis is Freighliner with CAT 3126 Engine, 58K miles

The diagnostic team recommended that the cracked coolant tank be replaced.( I had already ordered a new tank and it is waiting for me at the next planned stop) (I did wrap the cracked area with fiberglass in an attempt to keep it going and it was working for several hundred miles) The water pump belt be tightened. The air cleaner be replaced. All of that was done. Fee for diagnostic activities was $300.00. I do not know what all they checked.

Total cost for this fiasco was just shy of 4K for repair and hotel and meals out. Taking it back to the place that screwed us is not an option. It appears that they do not have the talent/expertise to make the correct repair.

On several occasions I told them the cooling fan was not coming on. I even asked them to order another fan control unit as I thought that was probably the issue. They said when we did something (I don't remember the term he used) to check the fan it worked. They did mention checking the fan clutch.

We have re-planned our trip to go to Phoenix. I will contact Massey to see about a correct fix.

Yikes - this sounds like a 100% ripoff. If they thought a cracked tank, a new air filter, and tightening a belt was going to fix the issue obviously they aren't too good at their jobs. And a $300 charge for the "Team" to come up with that??? I think they only thing the "Team" came up with was a plan to take your money.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Rgtopda

Gulf Breeze Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you used a credit card I would dispute the charges and stop payment.

RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They checked on how fat your wallet was.

lucky13

layton,utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try clear the or change the air filter, then wash out the radiator front and rear, spray cleaner on the radiator front and back then wash out, should clear up the verheating problem

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you flush the radiator? Since you had a leaking coolant tank, is the mixture in the radiator correct? Did you have the radiator pressure tested/filled? You may have a bubble in the system and it needs to be burped.....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

H & E

North Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick up-date.

We ended up taking it to Vangard Truck Repair near Flagstaff, AZ. It did not take them long to find the problem. As suggested earlier it was a plugged radiator. They got the cooling fan working properly and sent the radiator out for cleaning. Radiator shop found other issues after cleaning. We now have a new radiator. Vangard did have to correct the tank installation that Velocity in Sparks, NV did. The tank was missing mounting bolts that allowed the tank to vibrate into the engine cover latch. That caused the latch to bind. The difference between the two repair facilities is amazing.

We are now back on the road with a well running coach.

By the way the Sparks Velocity facility did offer to make additional repairs at their Phoenix area facility at no charge. They said they would call the Phoenix facility to make the arrangements and call us back-which they never did.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the OP's diesel is not complicated, but that is not true for all of them. Here's what it looks like under the hood of my 2014 Chevy Silverado Diesel Duramax HD 6.0. When it comes to repairs .... well ... it just goes to the shop. Way too much for under there for me. Not to mention all the electronics and GPS, and On-Star, and the Digital Information Center, and internet capabilities, and ... and ... and ...
Um... simple? Maybe for some, but not this old bird.

[image]

By the way, I'm glad the OP responded back with a resolve for his solution. And I'm glad he's back on the road. We don't always hear back from folks on these threads when they finally get their resolves and too many times we are left wondering what was the real problem. So, my thanks to H & E for the follow up response.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good reason to inspect and clean your rad BEFORE the trip. Changing air filter etc, inspecting rad should be done before you embark on a long trip in an old rv. Just saying. Would have saved you a lot of headaches.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Nightmare Repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS