cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tongue jack slipped

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
We were setting up our camper and like I always do I set the tongue jack down on several blocks (the ones you can use of leveling or placing under the stabilizing jacks). I noticed immediately it was slipping. I didn't know what to do. I yelled for my daughter to hand me some more blocks and I set them right next to the blocks i already had. It eventually stopped and was resting on both sets of blocks. I raised it again and rehooked to my truck. I was able to set it down again without incident.

Any reason why this would happen and how can i prevent it?
19 REPLIES 19

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
bob213 wrote:
philh wrote:
Not a good idea to xchock wheels and then lift and lower tongue.

Can you explain why please.

BAL includes a notice in the package stating this caveat. The force applied by the wheels rotating opposite directions when you raise/lower the tongue jack will over stress the crossmembers and cause them to buckle. This is not covered under warranty. You still need actual wheel chocks until the trailer is leveled and your other stabilizers are down.
It's in the instructions. You are NOT to install them until the trailer is level and unhooked.

Thank you. I will change to order of install and removal.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen ONCE as well. As soon as I unhooked from the ball the camper moved hard right. The campsite pad was located just after a curve in the "driveway". I suspect that my axles had some twist in them from backing and turning. I should have pulled straight and then backed straight up to relieve the axle twist but I didn't. Lesson learned.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
True the ball is the most secure. Buy you really can't verify that the rig is stable and securely chocked with it sitting on the ball. The chains should be left as a safety measure in case of movement as you raise off the ball and level the trailer.

Horse snot. I learned how to chock wheels so a vehicle would not move before I started school. When I'm ready to unhook, the order is chock wheels, light cord, chains, open latch on coupler, then mess with the jack.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Block the wheels and it can't move, then lift it off the hitch.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Did that once and learned my lesson. I haven't set the tongue jack down on blocks since. After my heart started pumping blood to my brain again it kind of made sense, at least in my case, even though I had "gotten away with it" many times. The foot of my jack is about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the blocks I was using (lynx leveling blocks) and smooth on the bottom. The leveling blocks are smooth plastic shaped kind of like lego blocks for stacking. This means there was limited contact between the somewhat slick plastic blocks and the smooth foot of the jack. Very slight incline but raising the tongue enough to disconnect was enough to literally tip the scales. Fortunately I only had a couple of blocks stacked and it stopped moving when the tongue hit the ground. It could have been much worse. I did have the wheels chocked, but chocks can and do slip. I've never had mine slip or move with the actual jack foot resting on the ground and I have plenty of travel available in my jack stand. I only used the blocks to save time.

I have been looking at investing in better chocks but my wheels are set too far apart for many of the X-Chocks and the Fastway ONEstep. I like the idea of the ONEstep and have considered making my own.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
philh wrote:

BAL includes a notice in the package stating this caveat. The force applied by the wheels rotating opposite directions when you raise/lower the tongue jack will over stress the crossmembers and cause them to buckle. This is not covered under warranty. You still need actual wheel chocks until the trailer is leveled and your other stabilizers are down.
It's in the instructions. You are NOT to install them until the trailer is level and unhooked.

X chocks are NOT designed to be used instead of regular wheel chocks. they will not stop your trailer from rolling. there are only to help stabilize the tires.

Me. I level it side to side. Reverse it tight onto the wheel chock, and while it has pressure there. I place a chock against the front of the tire. Then unhook, and level front to back. Then I install the
X chocks. They are the last thing I do, and the first thing to come off when leaving.

BTW. What will happen if you forget to remove them before you try to pull away? they will come out with great force, and can damage the tires, and suspension. Ask me how I know. Had to buy a new tire once because I forgot.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
True the ball is the most secure. Buy you really can't verify that the rig is stable and securely chocked with it sitting on the ball. The chains should be left as a safety measure in case of movement as you raise off the ball and level the trailer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
X chocks. First thing on, last thing off. Safety chains stay on till trailer is
completely stable.

Much better to have the most solid connection as the last to unhook.
Lifting the coupler off the ball, should be last. If you have a chain in hand when trailer moves, chain snaps tight, you might be able to count to nine.
Wheels chocked tight jack tongue up, the jack will tend to move on the ground, but not side to side. Might want to plan for that when putting blocks jack.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason why I dig holes for the tires to level my TT. As long as gravity works....My TT isn't going anywhere.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Npdchief07 wrote:
We were setting up our camper and like I always do I set the tongue jack down on several blocks (the ones you can use of leveling or placing under the stabilizing jacks). I noticed immediately it was slipping. I didn't know what to do. I yelled for my daughter to hand me some more blocks and I set them right next to the blocks i already had. It eventually stopped and was resting on both sets of blocks. I raised it again and rehooked to my truck. I was able to set it down again without incident.

Any reason why this would happen and how can i prevent it?

It's easier to chock the wheels before you mess with the jack.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
X chocks. First thing on, last thing off. Safety chains stay on till trailer is
completely stable.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch! Glad nothing got hurt. That could have been devastating in many more ways than one.