cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Silicone rubber roof coating

map40
Explorer
Explorer
We re-coated the roof of our Alfa with a silicone product. So far, better than Dicor, truck bedliner, home depot's, and any other I have found.
It is a two stage process, but well worth it.
Here is a video (By the way, we have no relationship with the company that sold us the product)
How RV going to do it? Alfa Edition
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
5 REPLIES 5

map40
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
camperdave wrote:
man, I've been so conditioned to hate silicone I don't think I could do it lol.

These High Solid 100% Silicone Roof coatings are vastly underrated usually due to people's belief that "silicone" is a no-no for RV's. I have heard people talk all sorts of negative things about it yet they have never seen, used, researched, touched or knew anyone who used it. It also got a bad rap because initially users didn't do the proper prep needed for an RV roof that resulted in failures. I know people who wouldn't consider it until they actually started researching the product and ow it's on their RV's roof. So, you're not alone. ๐Ÿ™‚

Agree. I would have not considered it if I hadn't seen it in a roof where I work. But they are pretty good. And guess what, once coated, no more worries about damaging the rubber or tpo roof with bad chemicals!!!!
Alfa SeeYa

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:

These High Solid 100% Silicone Roof coatings are vastly underrated usually due to people's belief that "silicone" is a no-no for RV's. I have heard people talk all sorts of negative things about it yet they have never seen, used, researched, touched or knew anyone who used it. It also got a bad rap because initially users didn't do the proper prep needed for an RV roof that resulted in failures. I know people who wouldn't consider it until they actually started researching the product and ow it's on their RV's roof. So, you're not alone. ๐Ÿ™‚
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
How long ago?

The first time I used it was 1 year ago. All other products started showing some sign of wear. The silicone hasn't so far. The condition, including flexibility, elasticity and resistense, look like I just put it down.
Polyurea (truck bed liner) was so far the second best, but you could start seeing some decay after on the first year.
Through the roof remained flexible but in a couple of areas it started cracking.
Roofing coatings like Dicor, or the ones you can buy specifically for EPDM or TPO started to show a little bit of aging on the first year (dry spots, flaking, etc).
I have become familiar with the life cycle of roof coatings on RVs, having done so many for my rental business. At the 1 year mark you can see what the lifespan will be.
So far, under the florida sun everyday, still no problems.
The roof in my Alfa came out great. As far as the application, it is a 2 step process, so a little more work. As far as cost, is in the middle of the road.
Hope it helps.
Alfa SeeYa

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How long ago?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad