Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Don’t know anything
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Don’t know anything

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Dougcox20

Southaven, MS

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m gonna buy a travel trailer and something to tow it with. Should I buy new or used? What brands are the best? I plan on doing full time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Npdchief07

Hamilton, Oh

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could use a little more information... Is money an object? How big a travel trailer?

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes a little more info, 'full time, lots of travelling or stationary most of the time. Single or family in the RV, needs work station or something else.

My suggestion would be to start with a used unit, new unit kinks should be worked out, How much do you want to spend? If used and you decide that you don't like the life style, not as much money invested.

Get or decide on a particular RV first, then look for a tow vehicle. Go at least size bigger on the tow vehicle than you would need for that trailer. i.e. if a 150/1500 is adequate to tow the trailer, look at 250/2500 or even 350/3500 series that will make for a more relaxed tow, and may accommodate your next trailer when you decide your original choice is TOO small.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Used since first year deprecation on TT and TV are high.

2. Look for a floor plan with lots of storage -- not a brand name.

3. Get a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis

Oceano Dunes, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Buy or select the TT first...then match a TV to it.
2. Think TV "payload" first and then TV max tow weight.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get down to an RV show. Walk through some trailers. Do not buy anything. Give us your thoughts. We can then estimate what vehicle can pull what you are thinking about.

Unless money is easy I always recommend starting with a preowned RV. Probably same for the truck.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Dougcox20

Southaven, MS

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I could swing the money, but the money supply is far from endless, so I would like to make smart money decisions. I guess space for four. Just me for sure, but I could see others joining at some point. Full-time. I can see 2-4 weeks in one location before moving on. I have read people writing about some brands with poor manufacturing, leaks and busted floors?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The questions for the OP start with trailer size, which also then dictates Truck size, and drivetrain.
One person alone even with some dry camping can get by with a 25' box and a half ton truck pretty easily. ie; a F-150 with a tow package and either a 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost.
Mid lever trailers for example could be 2520 Passport models or 223rbs Coachmen.

Or you could look for heavier trailers, with longer living spaces, and go to 2500-3500 trucks with or without diesel powertrains.
It's all up to your taste and wallet depth.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full time is a different animal. how much "stuff" will be living with you. I camp light but for an extended stay would be very heavy. Also how mechanical are you? maintenance will be constant. the problems you mention are more often than not from lack of upkeep not from a brand specific problem.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Don’t know anything
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.