Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Old magnetic cell phone antenna-UPDATE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Old magnetic cell phone antenna-UPDATE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know if a 20 year old magnetic cell phone antenna would work with the new booster/repeater. I am thinking the technology was too different but maybe I am wrong

* This post was last edited 09/01/19 04:16pm by pinesman *   View edit history

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not the technology that's an issue, but the frequencies it's tuned for. There have been a number of fairly widespread new frequencies or "bands" added for cell use over the years, and the older antennas often not work well with all of them. That means how well it works will be dependent on which bands are in use where you are at the time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without doing a ton of research I'd say NO. Depending on the design it might work.. But odds are very high it will not.. Dutch explained why.

This is why your Over the Air TV antenna still works. they did not change frequencies. they still use the same channels.. just the carrier and display channels are no longer locked together.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason that I asked is that I have a booster in my shop which works great and is easy to get to and take out. For kicks and giggles I took it to my 5th wheel and hooked it up using a steel plate on the roof as a ground plane and an old ('90s vintage) magnetic antenna left over from the old bag phone days. It barely got me one more bar on my phone. I am taking a chance and ordering a new Wilson magnetic antenna of the right frequency. If it works-problem solved. If not, it certainly will not be the last $20 that I have wasted. I figured the distance between the indoor and outdoor antennas is not quite the issue with a magnetic one vs. a yagi antenna like I have on my shop

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that booster is also tuned for the old frequencies,

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried an old antenna that I had and did not have real good results so I broke down got a new magnetic antenna and 15' up in the air, my signal goes from 1 bar to 5 bars. Now I just take the repeater out of my shop and use it in the fiver

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He said the booster works great in the shop. with (one assumes) a modern proper band antenna...

So the booster is tuned to 4g or perhaps 3g where as the old antenna is 1st Generation/analog

Yes a non-resonate antenna will work and you can even make it work fairly well. I do it often. but the proper antenna will blow it away 9 times out of 8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Old magnetic cell phone antenna-UPDATE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.