maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
How is the road?? Anything scary??
14 REPLIES 14

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs ~~ Thanks (lots & lots &) lotsa good info ~ but not what i'm looking for this trip.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For information on camping and sightseeing along US 50, Salida, Monarch Pass, Gunnison, and the Black Canyon, see my blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com.

Oops, forgot to go to the "Advanced Post Form" for my link!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
maddog348 wrote:
Bill ~~ Rushmore never in this trip plans. Just a while in Colo. then head home. Since you are into routing ?? What is time difference in taking 50 over Monarch to Caรฑon City As opposed to cutting off South at 114 then catching 285 North back up to 50 and heading on East to Caรฑon City by passing the Pass?? ~~ Just Curious. Thanks for your thoughts.

Not Bill here...but it's an alternative. Some would say it's beautiful, others might say it's rather...boring. There's still a pass -- North Cochetopa (or just North) Pass, at about 10,150 feet. Barely noticeable by Colorado standards, no views/vistas of any sort. Good paved road, but not a lot of open vistas.

Given the choice, my preference would be Monarch, for the aerial tram that takes you up on the south side of the pass to a visitor's center where the views are unsurpassed.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Bill ~~ Rushmore never in this trip plans. Just a while in Colo. then head home. Since you are into routing ?? What is time difference in taking 50 over Monarch to Caรฑon City As opposed to cutting off South at 114 then catching 285 North back up to 50 and heading on East to Caรฑon City by passing the Pass?? ~~ Just Curious. Thanks for your thoughts.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
How is the road?? Anything scary??

Maddog is this part of the Trip to Rushmore?

If so look this over as a less Interstate Route:)

MAP

Added a few stops just in case you needed more to do. Interesting drive that would certainly beat driving up I-25 and all that traffic. Ity being the Fall and all if it is late September this would be even better as the Aspen will be changing in the passes first then the Valleys.

Just a thought,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Devo ~~ Cool Post ~~ Thanks

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have done that with 80,000 lbs, many truckers do. It's just another mountain pass if you drive mountains regular. If not the secrets watching your speed and don't ride the brakes. You can go down 100's of times too slow, only once too fast. Use lower gears on the down hill and save the breaks.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it last year during the heat wave and fires in Colorado. It was a piece of cake for a 2005 F350 with a V10.

We took 50 across Nevada to Ely and spent the night there. Then to Delta Utah (beautiful city park), to Green River Utah and stayed overnight at the State park. Then, to Montrose Colorado, over Monarch Pass and stayed in Divide. My niece and fiancรฉ were at the Academy in Colorado Springs and got married in Black Forest.

Here was the profile and a few photos

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the weather can be beautiful at the bottom but when you get near the top it can be a different story.

My first trip over the pass (eat to west) was during the first week in November 1972 in a 1966 Econline I'd fitted with a heater and a bed. Like I said, the weather before the climb was beautiful. As I got higher, it began to snow. The Econline had a carburetor and the higher it got the less pep it had. I had the throttle to the floor as I sped ever upward at about 10mph in the snow. It didn't have enough power to spin the tires (I had no chains - just all season tires) in the snow! I became a little nervous but as long as I was moving forward, we continued on. A snow plow passed going down the hill as I approached the top. As I rounded a curve at the very top, there was a pickup truck with a snowmobile in the bed off in the ditch on the other side of the road. He was lucky to have run off there because most of the road has no guardrail - the snowplows push the snow over the side into the valley below. I was relieved to be over the pass and headed down. We pulled over and played in the snow and packed our cooler with snow. We were on a two week vacation and I never did buy any ice for the cooler. I had to take my vacation in the winter back then because I serviced HVAC/R and couldn't get away during prime vacation time. Drove from St Louis to San Diego and back in two weeks. Haven't taken a trip where I saw so much of America in such a short time since but that's what you do when your young and adventurous. Monarch Pass, I remember it well! (That Econline was never the same after that climb.)
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Heading east up the pass is mostly three lane with a passing lane in the uphill direction. Use tranny to keep speed in check downhill. Nothing scary about this pass.

There is a tram and gift shop at the top of the pass.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Just came over the pass last month. Some patchs of rough road, but not bad at all. We have been over the pass many times and find it to be one of the easier routes. And the scenery is just beautiful. Drive safe!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Age, Monarch Pass was beautiful!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dangerous Roads-Monarch Pass

Monarch Pass down the article

Actually I think that Dangerous Roads site is pure click bait to scare flatlanders. I've been over many of them including Monarch Pass, and didn't have any problems. In Colorado the weather rules tho so a snow storm on Monarch Pass is something to avoid.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful scenery!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad