Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: New TV reception
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New TV reception

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer the OP's question, "Is this the nature of the beast?" Answer: yes.

I'm not as avid television watcher as my wife, so it drives her batty when one hour there is a perfect picture and the next there is nothing. Or it begins to pixelate to the point the station is not watchable right at the end or apex of the show and then she "misses it".

In campgrounds, we've noticed when vehicles pass by our campsite, there is often a pixel freeze. And at night, more stations come in.

It's just the nature of the beast. It's still better than paying $120 for satellite television when all you get are commercials anyway.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the world went all digital for over the air several things changed

A 100,000 watt station suddenly dialed down to say 25,000 (numbers representive not intended to be specific) They may also have gone from say Channel 7 (VHF HI) to say 41 (UHF) UHF is more affected by trees. rain and things like that.

Also the standard Winegard Sensar II or III is not as good at UHF as a Sensar IV or a II or III with wingman added.

I added the wingman and the sensar pro and do fairly well.. I get about the same as I got in the analog days in terms of carriers.. But that is the other thing they added.. Where as back in the analog days one carrier = one "Service" (Channel) and what is more they were locked (7 was 7) Today I've seen up to SIX sub carriers on stations at the high UHF band (Higher carrier channels carry more "Services" (Sub channels) So where in the old days I might get 5 channels. I still do but that's 15 sub channels. Just again as an example

I highly recommend the Wingman if it fits your Winegard batwing

And the Sensar Pro indoor module gets my #2 Recommendation.

THe Sensar Pro is a multi-function device... And of the ones I've seen it's the best (Beats the LED's of King Control's "Sure Lock" let me tell you. but then the Sensar IV beats the Jack as well)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly what wa8yxm said. And yes, the digital signals have a much lower range than the old analog signals did. And in your area, you may have a hill, mountain, or big tree blocking your signal. With the same rig that wa8yxm is using, I have been able to get up to 70 miles away, BUT that was over flat terrain. And, it seems to be Very directional. At Dandridge, you might be best with a satellite system. You will be doing good to get Knoxville stations.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And yes, the old system was better IMHO, but the economics decided that more cell service was better than good TV service. TV stations are not really interested in providing local commercial advertising to customers outside the local shopping area, because those viewers usually do not shop there. Advertisements on Satellite TV are usually for products and services that are available over a wide er shopping area. So, viewers lose again, as usual. Besides the sale of the unused frequencies made MILLIONS for somebody!

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never had a problem with the old analog signal - now with digital if there are clouds in the sky we have crappy reception and if it's storming, well might as well forget it.

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My reception can vary wildly day to day. Those channels I know can drop out, I check their signal strength before committing to a show. if it is only one bar I see it as likely it will lose signal right in the most interesting part, so I pick another channel.

Some must also realize components in their rv can create enough interference to kill certain channels. I have some VHF channels that instantly disappear with one of my USB phone chargers, and some others with take a hike with my DC to DC laptop converter, and some others if I turn on a LED say goodbye.

Other times the signal just goes away due to atmospheric conditions, and I have found a much larger antenna more precisely pointed, still cannot grab the signal my everyday antenna just lost.

As for crying for the old days of analog snow, no thanks, I'll take more sub channels and digital pixxellation potential anyday.

Some might think the analog singal might still ahve been watcheable when the digital signal at same strength is not. Hard to really say, but all or nothing is OK by me. the pixxellation is a channel changer or a turn the dang thing off result.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Local TV stations decide what programs and advertising to use for OTA. And the FCC required satellite providers to transmit "locals" ie the same content so that satellite did not eliminate local stations. Besides those 100 or so local stations on a satellite local spot beam there are many additional stations transmitted to the 48 and Alaska states. Not sure about Hawaii.

* This post was edited 08/28/19 06:47pm by CA Traveler *

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is "beam width" that counts. If you have wide beam width (analog) you lose on reception/definition, but gain on number of stations you can pick up off-beam centre on any antenna aim.

With narrow beam (digital) you get better reception in the aimed direction, but nothing much in off-beam directions.

Success with digital OTA depends on exact aiming.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old system the stations used a lot and I mean a WHOLE LOT more power. like 10 or 20 times what they broadcast today.. And still by the time it got to the RV park the signal was nothing to brag about.

Today you get MORE "Services" (Sub channels) with a fraction of the power at the station and as noted you either get a good signal. or you don't. there is a very very narrow "poor signal" band..

But the things that help
A better antenna. or RV use the Winegard Sensar IV (With wingman included) or a II or III with Wingman added with the Sensar Pro module indoor is about the best

or long term parked in the same point there are better options.

HEIGHT IS MIGHT... I sometimes tell the story of back in 1978 Trying out a radio.. My radio was 1 watt in the hand held mode (10 in the car) But this was hand held 1 watt. Little "Rubber duck" antenna. I'd be doing good with a quarter watt effective radiated Power I'm sure.

Well I was in Downtown Detroit. talking to a repeater tower in Adrian. MI (many miles away) and from there to Toledo Ohio..

An additional party tried to join in from Windsor. from where I was standing I could actually SEE his house but he was not making it. He had like 40 watts Effecice Radiated power at 30 feet and he was not making it. I had 1/160 his power and I was making it.... From the 21st floor observation deck of the office building where I worked.. HEIGHT IS MIGHT. (This was VHF high-band Roughly Chhanel 6 and 8/10ths (not to be coufused with 6-8) or 146 MHz)

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

HEIGHT IS MIGHT... I sometimes tell the story of back in 1978 Trying out a radio.. My radio was 1 watt in the hand held mode (10 in the car) But this was hand held 1 watt. Little "Rubber duck" antenna. I'd be doing good with a quarter watt effective radiated Power I'm sure.

Well I was in Downtown Detroit. talking to a repeater tower in Adrian. MI (many miles away) and from there to Toledo Ohio..

An additional party tried to join in from Windsor. from where I was standing I could actually SEE his house but he was not making it. He had like 40 watts Effecice Radiated power at 30 feet and he was not making it. I had 1/160 his power and I was making it.... From the 21st floor observation deck of the office building where I worked.. HEIGHT IS MIGHT. (This was VHF high-band Roughly Chhanel 6 and 8/10ths (not to be coufused with 6-8) or 146 MHz)

The really crazy (and frustrating) part is that because of the nulls you see with near earth transmitters and buildings, his neighbor might have easily connected to the repeater with half his power.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New TV reception
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS