Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 101 highway from olympia to north entrance of park
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 101 highway from olympia to north entrance of park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

I-5 joins highway 20 at Burlington, (west) that will take you to the parks north entrance at Port Angeles, that's how you get to hurricane ridge.I don't understand - Why go through Seattle to Burlington and down 20 through Whidbey Island to the ferry?

Keep in mind, coming up 101, you will join route 3 coming off the hood canal bridge and go west, until you connect with highway 20 coming west from Port Townsend, there is no need to go all the way to P/T, to get to Port Angeles and the north entrance of the park.
You'll save an hour and a half.Why would you take I5/101 and then 3 to the East side of the Hood Canal Bridge and then West vs just staying on 101?
What am I missing?

Your not missing anything, the best route to the north entrance to ONP is up the east side of the Olympic Peninsula, with much of the trip along Hood Canal. We live in Oregon now and I use this 101 bypass to avoid driving through the greater Seattle/Bellevue area.
True no need to go off 101 to Port Townsend, unless one wants to spend some time at the SP on the edge of town.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

I-5 joins highway 20 at Burlington, (west) that will take you to the parks north entrance at Port Angeles, that's how you get to hurricane ridge.I don't understand - Why go through Seattle to Burlington and down 20 through Whidbey Island to the ferry?

Keep in mind, coming up 101, you will join route 3 coming off the hood canal bridge and go west, until you connect with highway 20 coming west from Port Townsend, there is no need to go all the way to P/T, to get to Port Angeles and the north entrance of the park.
You'll save an hour and a half.Why would you take I5/101 and then 3 to the East side of the Hood Canal Bridge and then West vs just staying on 101?
What am I missing?

Your not missing anything, the best route to the north entrance to ONP is up the east side of the Olympic Peninsula, with much of the trip along Hood Canal. We live in Oregon now and I use this 101 bypass to avoid driving through the greater Seattle/Bellevue area.
True no need to go off 101 to Port Townsend, unless one wants to spend some time at the SP on the edge of town.
Look at a map. 101 north on the east side joins 3, which on a map is 104 and then 20 at discovery bay going to Port Angeles . There is no need to go to Port Townsend.

As the OP asked, I-5 is doable. 20 is how it is done.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

What am I missing?

Look at a map. 101 north on the east side joins 3, which on a map is 104 and then 20 at discovery bay going to Port Angeles . There is no need to go to Port Townsend.

As the OP asked, I-5 is doable. 20 is how it is done.

Drove this way too many time doing IT service for Safeway. The route from I5 north is take Hwy 12 West in Olympia, then 101 North (Shelton exit) then it is just 101 North all the way to the Park entrance. Otherwise it is a long detour through Bremerton and over the Hood Canal floating bridge.

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is getting me confused and I live in the Olympia area.

To answer Jenanne's question. There is no problem going up the east side of Olympic Nat's Park on Highway 101 in a 40 footer with a tow. It is mainly two lanes. It can be a little narrow at times, and there are a couple of narrow bridges, but there is nothing that is unsafe.

If you are coming from the south on I-5 take exit 104 (Highway 101 north) and stay on it all the way the the park's northern entrance at Port Angeles.

* This post was edited 08/29/19 01:27pm by Finally Time *

'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 101 highway from olympia to north entrance of park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.