cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lower Michigan west coast druthers

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be spending the night or so at Indiana Dunes SP and have some time to kill before our appointment in Elkhart, IN. My question is: Looking for another spot for a night along the Michigan western coast and figure that we can comfortable drive up to Ludington if needed and still make our appointment on time. Which campground/state park is the better for campsite, beach, sights, etc., etc?
All the state parks I have researched appear about the same. (Warren Dunes, Van Buren, Holland, Grand Haven, Hoffmaster, Muskegon, Silver Lake, Mears, and Ludington.
Not big on private parks, but for a night and a day, could live with it if the amenities/sights were worth it.
24' with 30amp only, don't need water or sewer.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
6 REPLIES 6

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
As much as I wanted to visit Ludington SP, I think we'll pass. Thanks for all the great responses. We're gonna hit Indiana Dunes SP and then continue our trek east.

thanks again all!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ludington is a huge park, much to see and do. During the season, you have to book months ahead !

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are currently at Silver Lake ( Silver Creek CG, a private park) Very nice place. What brought us here is the dunes, we rented a Polaris RZR for a couple hours yesterday and had a blast.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't need water / sewer your battery(s) should last one night.

Just boondock close to the place you want to enjoy.
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but, check out yankee springs state park.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
We will be spending the night or so at Indiana Dunes SP and have some time to kill before our appointment in Elkhart, IN. My question is: Looking for another spot for a night along the Michigan western coast and figure that we can comfortable drive up to Ludington if needed and still make our appointment on time. Which campground/state park is the better for campsite, beach, sights, etc., etc?
All the state parks I have researched appear about the same. (Warren Dunes, Van Buren, Holland, Grand Haven, Hoffmaster, Muskegon, Silver Lake, Mears, and Ludington.
Not big on private parks, but for a night and a day, could live with it if the amenities/sights were worth it.
24' with 30amp only, don't need water or sewer.

If your only talking for one day you might as well take the closest one. They are all within biking or walking distance to the beach. Ludington is my personal favorite as there is so much to do in the park itself without leaving. Others like Holland or Grand Haven are much smaller and offer parking lot campsites but right near the beach. I'm not sure you can go wrong on the state parks on Michigan's west coast for a night. Do plan ahead as state parks along Lake Michigan are very popular, often you need to plan 6 months ahead on the more popular ones like Ludington for example.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel