Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Northern Lite truck to camper cord
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite truck to camper cord

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new 2019 10-2 after leaving the dealer I thought I would double checked the lights. I had running lights, turned on the flashers they worked so I thought I had brake and turn signals. I was stopped by the highway patrol seems like every time I hit the brake the back up lights came on. This has been the never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems. I was trying to find out from Northern Lite if there was a dealer or repair shop I could take the R.V. to that was closer than 400 miles. Here is Northern Lite's response "THIS IS NOT SOMETHING WE ARE INVOLVED WITH" . This is comforting wonder what the something is that they are involved with. Anyway, I have a 07 GMC, (you know the camper a 2019 Northern Lite 10-2) I have a factory trailer hitch and a factory plug in for a trailer if you have suggestions please help as it is, we are stuck not able to hit the road, I did get the camper home but sure need help with how to wire up everything.

* This post was edited 08/28/19 04:10pm by devildog1971 *

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

I bought a new 2019 10-2 after leaving the dealer I thought I would double checked the lights. I had running lights, turned on the flashers they worked so I thought I had brake and turn signals. I was stopped by the highway patrol seems like every time I hit the brake the back up lights came on. This has been the never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems. I was trying to find out from Northern Lite if there was a dealer or repair shop I could take the R.V. to that was closer than 400 miles. Here is Northern Lite's response "THIS IS NOT SOMETHING WE ARE INVOLVED WITH" . This is comforting wonder what the something is that they are involved with.

Unbelievable. You spend your hard earned money on their top of the line TC and this is their response, WOW!

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971

Who is the dealer?

Call Keith Donkin at the factory at 250-765-3702. He is the General Manager of Northern Lite and is very responsive. He won't tolerate this lack of Customer Service and will advise you immediately.

I am only guessing but a wire could be crossed or shorted to another terminal in one of the 7 pin connectors. Is there any way that you can verify that your 7 pin connector on the back of your truck is working correctly? If it is correct, then the jumper cable between your truck and the camper needs to be verified. Beyond that, Keith will advise you.

Welcome to the Northern Lite Family,
LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go to any rv dealer they have a pigtail tester 99% likely its a simple miss wire or look up Bargman 7 way plug wiring and test yourselfgmc link

2017 Chev ltz double cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,30k super hitch 36" extention
1999 Bigfoot 1011

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it very hard to believe that was their response. I don't doubt your word just surprised. I had a ? that I called about 2 days ago and
Keith called me within minutes of hanging up, The same service I've been getting for 7 yrs. now. Most likely just a crossed wire, had that on my old T.C. I would call again and ask for Keith, @ above #. Good luck.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to go buy a pig tail tester today and new cord This was the third time I asked for Northern Lites help to find repair service I I should not have to pay for or drive 471 miles to the dealer. I would be happy to copy and paste Northern Lites e-mail to me, it was pretty snotty. I was going through the paper work and found the PREDELIVERY sheet still in the envelope NOT FILLED OUT NOTHING WAS CHECKED ON THE FORM. I do not blame the dealers employees completely they were jumping from job to job and constantly being asked to do something else before they finished there last four or five jobs. If I have to return to the dealer I would like to have my gas and one nights stay at a campground paid for. Wish I had bought the Bigfoot and 4K cheaper but the wife liked this one. once they asked me to sign a arbitration paper I should have run away.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

I am going to go buy a pig tail tester today and new cord This was the third time I asked for Northern Lites help to find repair service I I should not have to pay for or drive 471 miles to the dealer. I would be happy to copy and paste Northern Lites e-mail to me, it was pretty snotty. I was going through the paper work and found the PREDELIVERY sheet still in the envelope NOT FILLED OUT NOTHING WAS CHECKED ON THE FORM. I do not blame the dealers employees completely they were jumping from job to job and constantly being asked to do something else before they finished there last four or five jobs. If I have to return to the dealer I would like to have my gas and one nights stay at a campground paid for. Wish I had bought the Bigfoot and 4K cheaper but the wife liked this one. once they asked me to sign a arbitration paper I should have run away.

Who asked you to sign an arbitration paper?

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

devildog1971 wrote:

Who asked you to sign an arbitration paper?

And who is the dealer?
By the way, the cord in question is normally supplied by the buyer. The dealer may throw it in as part of the deal. The PREDELIVERY paperwork is the responsibility of the selling dealer. That is your verification that the dealer checked the unit and that the everything was done properly by the factory.

Who sent you the above mentioned emails?
It seems to me like it was a dealer. Am I correct? I certainly don't want to do business with a dealership like that. And again who is the dealer?

Did you call Keith Donkin like I mentioned above? I am sure that he would appreciate knowing about a dealer that needs training. He can't fix things if he isn't aware of the problem.

LeRoy

Wardster

Kingston, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must be one of the lucky ones. My 8'11" had a structural (delamination) issue on one of the wings and after they tried unsuccessfully to fix it, they replaced the unit.

2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Legal issues aside - it might be more than cross wire as brake lights have 2 separate wires, when backup operates on single wire.
How are your electrical skills?
Even I was trained mechanic, the life made me learning electricity and I think with my skills I would troubleshoot the issue in about 5 minutes.
I'd start with confirming the truck plug has correct wiring per the picture and then move to point where trailer outside cord has connections with internal wiring.
In my campers I can access it by removing water tank top cover and it is all there.
The only thing I found easy to confuse is mirroring connections when you switch sides.

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite truck to camper cord
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.