Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Northern Lite truck to camper cord
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite truck to camper cord

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are both male connectors, after the sun goes down today I am going to look at it again. If I get no where then I will call the dealer and they can have a go at it. (400 plus miles away) The day I picked the camper up it was HOT! The employees were over worked it was obvious, maybe I am old but when you pay $48 thousand for a camper and darkness is approaching the people that hooked up everything and put the camper on the truck should say, let us check and make sure all the lights are working properly. after labor day if the issue is unresolved I am going to ask D&H R. V. sales to se if they can fix the problem .

* This post was edited 08/29/19 02:51pm by devildog1971 *

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The overworking employees are not good excuse for poor management.
Pushing "out the door" $48k unit calls for notifying BBB and camper manufacturer as well.
Maybe not fair comparison, but Country Coach, when they sell one of their DP, at least used to have buyers staying in their own RV park for 2-3 days, when technician was walking with them via all the gizmos.
How much time did you get?

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I did not get enough time with a tech.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

They are both male connectors,

Well yes and no.

Take a close look at the 7-pin jack on the NL camper and a close look at the 7-pin jack on your truck.

Mine look different.

Both ends of my truck-2-Northernlight umbilical cord look different as well.

I ended up LABELING mine as once I plugged it in BACKWARDS and it did not work. There is clearly a TRUCK end and a CAMPER end of the cable.

At least on mine there is.

- Mark0.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

devildog1971 wrote:

Well yes and no.

Take a close look at the 7-pin jack on the NL camper and a close look at the 7-pin jack on your truck.

Mine look different.

I ended up LABELING mine as once I plugged it in BACKWARDS and it did not work. There is clearly a TRUCK end and a CAMPER end of the cable.

- Mark0.
Interesting. Both connectors on the 7-pin umbilical cable we use for our '19 NL 8-11 are female and electrically and physically identical to each other. Doesn't matter which end of the cable is plugged into the male connectors on the camper or truck---works fine either way.

* This post was edited 08/29/19 08:26pm by otrfun *

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

mbloof wrote:

devildog1971 wrote:

Well yes and no.

Mine look different.

- Mark0.
Interesting. Both connectors on the 7-pin umbilical cable we use for our '19 NL 8-11 are female and electrically and physically identical to each other. Doesn't matter which end of the cable is plugged into the male connectors on the camper or truck---works fine either way.

X2 Same on mine.

LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both ends of our cable for our 2008 NL 10-2 CD SE are male and it works either way, no dedicated end for truck or camper.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

. . . Both connectors on the 7-pin umbilical cable we use for our '19 NL 8-11 are female . . .
markchengr wrote:

Both ends of our cable for our 2008 NL 10-2 CD SE are male . . .
The umbilical cable connector housings do insert inside the truck/camper connector housings. Based on how the connector housings connect mechanically, I can see why some may call the truck/camper connectors female, and the umbilical cord connectors male. However, in terms of the electrical connection, the opposite is true. The electrical connectors on the truck and camper are male. The electrical connectors on the ends of the umbilical cable are female.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just rewire the camper to match the truck. Sounds like you know which two wires are reversed. If not, just take your time. If you don't feel like you can do it, I suggest maw and pop service station that rents Uhauls or similar trailers. They are experts at hooking up wires and usually really cheap and fast.

When I got my second truck, I had to change the camper wires. Don't get hung up on the wiring diagram. It only works if the truck is right too.

Later, when I finally used my hitch extension for brakes, I had to rewire it. I towed a uhaul trailer with brakes previously without the extension. BTW, the extension worked fine before rewire with a four plug connector. Two wires (left running light and electric brake) were reversed making it look right, but engaging the brake continuously if seven way was used.

* This post was edited 08/30/19 11:26am by jimh425 *

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something doesnt sound right with this post?? Northern Lite giving less then above and beyound customer service just has not been my experience. You just bought it and you have had to call Northern Lite 3 times already? Never ending story of annoying problems?? What other problems have you had? What was the outcome once you recieved your pigtail tester? You do know that the PDI paperwork in the folder you mentioned is the Sole resposibilty of the Dealer to fill out, not sure why you would not hold dealer 100% responsible for that. Why didn't the dealer check your lights before you left the lot? Trying to get Northern Lite to diagnois your back up light problem over the phone would be futile, there are just way to many varibles for that to be productive.
At any rate I wish you the best of luck!

2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite truck to camper cord
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.