Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Northern Lite truck to camper cord
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Northern Lite truck to camper cord

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/12/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/01/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:


Posted: 08/31/19 06:37pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Something doesnt sound right with this post?? Northern Lite giving less then above and beyound customer service just has not been my experience. You just bought it and you have had to call Northern Lite 3 times already? Never ending story of annoying problems?? What other problems have you had? What was the outcome once you recieved your pigtail tester? You do know that the PDI paperwork in the folder you mentioned is the Sole resposibilty of the Dealer to fill out, not sure why you would not hold dealer 100% responsible for that. Why didn't the dealer check your lights before you left the lot? Trying to get Northern Lite to diagnois your back up light problem over the phone would be futile, there are just way to many varibles for that to be productive.


X 2.....
Why setting hair on fire blaming NL??....Very doubtful camper wired wrong....very doubtful truck wired wrong.....very suspect pigtail is wired wrong!!... So simple to follow Bargman diagrams posted on here to pull pigtail ends apart and check wiring. Buy a tester and multimeter and use it!!.... going to be a long life if all you do is yell and can't trouble shoot things yourself....


Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

bwc

Atlantic Canada

Full Member

Joined: 04/20/2004

View Profile



Posted: 09/01/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Quote:


Posted: 08/31/19 06:37pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Something doesnt sound right with this post?? Northern Lite giving less then above and beyound customer service just has not been my experience. You just bought it and you have had to call Northern Lite 3 times already? Never ending story of annoying problems?? What other problems have you had? What was the outcome once you recieved your pigtail tester? You do know that the PDI paperwork in the folder you mentioned is the Sole resposibilty of the Dealer to fill out, not sure why you would not hold dealer 100% responsible for that. Why didn't the dealer check your lights before you left the lot? Trying to get Northern Lite to diagnois your back up light problem over the phone would be futile, there are just way to many varibles for that to be productive.


X 2.....
Why setting hair on fire blaming NL??....Very doubtful camper wired wrong....very doubtful truck wired wrong.....very suspect pigtail is wired wrong!!... So simple to follow Bargman diagrams posted on here to pull pigtail ends apart and check wiring. Buy a tester and multimeter and use it!!.... going to be a long life if all you do is yell and can't trouble shoot things yourself....


X3....
Doesn't take much to check your electrical with test light etc. Surprised you left the dealer's lot with partial lights working. Being a retired Peace Officer and all!


2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

New Member

Joined: 09/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/01/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I'm going to give OP benefit of doubt and mark this up as "new camper anxiety". I sure hope he post back here with update and I sure would like to know what all the "never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems" were! Please OP, let us know what the outcome was. I wish you well!


2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.


Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/12/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/01/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I had running lights, turned on the flashers they worked so I thought I had brake and turn signals. I was stopped by the highway patrol seems like every time I hit the brake the back up lights came on.


Just trying to understand this. If you have flashers working on camper, then brake/turn is wired correctly. ....the Blue trailer brake wire terminal is not used with a camper. If you are getting backup lights in addition to brake lights, then I think backup lights wire may be shorting across to brake terminal in bargman plugs and energizing backup lights when you step on brakes...probably in one of the pigtail ends, but could be truck plug or camper plug....when I wired up my pigtail I kept that blue brake wire out of the Bargman plug on the camper end and taped it back alongside the cord....are you getting any backup lights when you go into reverse?...or just when you step on the brakes?....

* This post was edited 09/01/19 12:56pm by Z-Peller *

Homeless by Choice

North America

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/01/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bwc wrote:

Z-Peller wrote:

Quote:


Posted: 08/31/19 06:37pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Something doesnt sound right with this post?? Northern Lite giving less then above and beyound customer service just has not been my experience. You just bought it and you have had to call Northern Lite 3 times already? Never ending story of annoying problems?? What other problems have you had? What was the outcome once you recieved your pigtail tester? You do know that the PDI paperwork in the folder you mentioned is the Sole resposibilty of the Dealer to fill out, not sure why you would not hold dealer 100% responsible for that. Why didn't the dealer check your lights before you left the lot? Trying to get Northern Lite to diagnois your back up light problem over the phone would be futile, there are just way to many varibles for that to be productive.


X 2.....
Why setting hair on fire blaming NL??....Very doubtful camper wired wrong....very doubtful truck wired wrong.....very suspect pigtail is wired wrong!!... So simple to follow Bargman diagrams posted on here to pull pigtail ends apart and check wiring. Buy a tester and multimeter and use it!!.... going to be a long life if all you do is yell and can't trouble shoot things yourself....


X3....
Doesn't take much to check your electrical with test light etc. Surprised you left the dealer's lot with partial lights working. Being a retired Peace Officer and all!


X4...
Did you, devildog1971, ever contact Northern Lite about this problem? It is not fair to blast a Company or Product without first asking the Factory for help. So again, Did you contact Keith Donkin so that he can help you and correct a dealer problem if one exists?

LeRoy


Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/01/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X 3 on my 2013 10-2 cdse

devildog1971

Rome

Senior Member

Joined: 12/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/01/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I would like to reply I will not. I thought up till now this forum was here to help people . So thank you for your help. I did not ask Northern Lite to diagnose a problem I was asking if they could recommend someone closer to me to provide service.

* This post was edited 09/01/19 07:14pm by devildog1971 *


2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

devildog1971

Rome

Senior Member

Joined: 12/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/01/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked the lights after I left the dealer running lights ok checked flashers ok the backup lights did not come on I could not step on the brake and be in the back at the same time so it is brake light back up light problem.

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

New Member

Joined: 09/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/02/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

What I would like to reply I will not. I thought up till now this forum was here to help people . So thank you for your help. I did not ask Northern Lite to diagnose a problem I was asking if they could recommend someone closer to me to provide service.


You are correct in that this forum is a great place to look for advice. Your first post seemed liked it was more about bashing Northern Lite than asking for help. I am still very interested in hearing about "the never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems". Sounds like you have had a few more problems other than tail lights.
Remember, Northern Lite is in Canada and it would be very hard for them to recommend a repair facility near to you other than D&H (they have 2 dealerships one in Florida other in North Carolina) and they are both probably 400 miles away from you. There are 100's of RV repair facilities out there, and just because someone hangs a sign up that says "RV Repair" does not mean they are a good and or a qualified RV repair shop.
So take a deep breath, relax and enjoy your fabulous new 10-2 truck camper....and lets get this minor tail light problem resolved. You can get a trailer plug tester pretty cheaply or you can ask around your area for any recommendations for a good RV service center. Call them and find out about what there fees are, see if this is something they do. Do not be surprised when they tell you electrical problems are by the hour and not a set fee. It can get very time consuming to trace down some electrical problems. Make sure to document any and all problems found with photos, especially if the problem is found to be within the camper.
While the camper was on your truck and the umbilical cord was hooked up, did you notice if your trucks backup lights were on when the brake lights were on? If so I would unhook umbilical cord and then recheck truck brake and back up lights. If they both still on then it is a truck wiring problem. If not... hook up umbilical to only the truck and check brake backup lights on your truck. If they both come on while applying the brake it is a short in umbilical cord. If not, and while umbilical is still plugged into truck, take your 7 pin RV plug tester and plug it into the end that you would plug into to camper. If both brake and backup lights still come on using tester it is a short in the umbilical cord, if not, it maybe in camper wiring. Main thing is you have to start at the source which in this case is the trucks wiring. And you have to check each and every connection back to camper taillights in order to find the fault. Make sure truck lights are working correctly first then work your way back. There have been many great post here showing you how the plugs and cord should be wired, use this info to help find the fault.

I know I would be very interested in hearing about how this turns out, please keep us posted, and please, please let us know about never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems!

bwc

Atlantic Canada

Full Member

Joined: 04/20/2004

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Piece wrote:

devildog1971 wrote:

What I would like to reply I will not. I thought up till now this forum was here to help people . So thank you for your help. I did not ask Northern Lite to diagnose a problem I was asking if they could recommend someone closer to me to provide service.


You are correct in that this forum is a great place to look for advice. Your first post seemed liked it was more about bashing Northern Lite than asking for help. I am still very interested in hearing about "the never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems". Sounds like you have had a few more problems other than tail lights.
Remember, Northern Lite is in Canada and it would be very hard for them to recommend a repair facility near to you other than D&H (they have 2 dealerships one in Florida other in North Carolina) and they are both probably 400 miles away from you. There are 100's of RV repair facilities out there, and just because someone hangs a sign up that says "RV Repair" does not mean they are a good and or a qualified RV repair shop.
So take a deep breath, relax and enjoy your fabulous new 10-2 truck camper....and lets get this minor tail light problem resolved. You can get a trailer plug tester pretty cheaply or you can ask around your area for any recommendations for a good RV service center. Call them and find out about what there fees are, see if this is something they do. Do not be surprised when they tell you electrical problems are by the hour and not a set fee. It can get very time consuming to trace down some electrical problems. Make sure to document any and all problems found with photos, especially if the problem is found to be within the camper.
While the camper was on your truck and the umbilical cord was hooked up, did you notice if your trucks backup lights were on when the brake lights were on? If so I would unhook umbilical cord and then recheck truck brake and back up lights. If they both still on then it is a truck wiring problem. If not... hook up umbilical to only the truck and check brake backup lights on your truck. If they both come on while applying the brake it is a short in umbilical cord. If not, and while umbilical is still plugged into truck, take your 7 pin RV plug tester and plug it into the end that you would plug into to camper. If both brake and backup lights still come on using tester it is a short in the umbilical cord, if not, it maybe in camper wiring. Main thing is you have to start at the source which in this case is the trucks wiring. And you have to check each and every connection back to camper taillights in order to find the fault. Make sure truck lights are working correctly first then work your way back. There have been many great post here showing you how the plugs and cord should be wired, use this info to help find the fault.

I know I would be very interested in hearing about how this turns out, please keep us posted, and please, please let us know about never ending story of Northern Lite annoying problems!


Totally agree. Great response. Sorry devildog if I came across to you as a smart a**. I have been there and have the T shirt as they say. We are looking at NL's so we are also interested in those annoying problems.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Northern Lite truck to camper cord
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.