cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave for Truck Camper..

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
My TC did not come with a built in microwave so I put one in the cabinet above the dinette..Works okay but I would like to put one above the stove in the cabinet there, like the built in units..

My question is..Has anyone done that with the available space/dimensions?

The dimensions are-20"wide/9.5"+ a hair tall and 12" deep..

I just can't find one and the problem seems to be the highth with 10.0" to 10.1" being the norm on a .7 microwave.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
21 REPLIES 21

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We always use microwave interior space for carrying bread on trips.

2_Piece
Explorer
Explorer
You are aware that steam from stove "kills" above stove microwaves unles they have some serious ventilation- ventilation to outside.
IMHO, keep the microwave in the cabinet. If you decide to go on long trip without hook ups you can remove microwave and use cabinet space. If you go on trips where you will have hook ups, put the microwave in cabinet. Best of bth worlds. Permanately install microwave and lose cabinet space forever.
2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a warning about Convection microwaves. They get extremely hot. Make sure you have plenty of air flow.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody is having different habits, so you can't make "1 shoe fits all" advise.
My wife bakes occasionally while camping, so our gas oven does get some use and in the past, with kids we used RV oven for Lasagna reheating.
I have all, micro, gas oven, electric water kettle and electric toaster in my camper. When I am alone, the toaster/oven gets most of the use, so that would be my personal priority to keep.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Tizi wrote:
My NL did not come with one, thought we might need one, never have. I would rather pull out the gas stove and add a micro/convection in its place. Has anyone done that before?

I have wondered the same thing..Curious how that would work?
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
My NL did not come with one, thought we might need one, never have. I would rather pull out the gas stove and add a micro/convection in its place. Has anyone done that before?
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Annalee wrote:
....... In my case the microwave will be the quick cup of soup or hot chocolate in the middle of the night or when I'm stuck inside due to rain. My camper isn't going to have a stove in it because i feel if I'm camping then I should be cooking outdoors.

Suggest you add a single portable propane cooking burner (using a portable propane bottle) to your kit. You may want to boil some water when you do not have power for the microwave, at night, in the rain ;).

Also good for cooking outdoors.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Annalee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of a mini microwave oven for my camper too. Just saw a sunbeam 700watt at walmart for $29 but didnt pick it up just yet. For that price I'm not really expecting amazing performance or longevity but should get the job done.

The big decision to size would probably be what you plan on cooking in it. In my case the microwave will be the quick cup of soup or hot chocolate in the middle of the night or when I'm stuck inside due to rain. My camper isn't going to have a stove in it because i feel if I'm camping then I should be cooking outdoors.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Your local walmart..
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Proctor-Silex-0-7-Cu-ft-Black-Digital-Microwave-Oven/464841392
black white or red 9.57" tall.
down to black only-other vendors still show
This one is 9.57 high. Won't that work for you?

When I installed mine, it was a fraction of an inch too big. So I removed the trim around the opening (no tools required), filed notches in the frame around the opening to clear the microwave feet, put the microwave in place, and replaced the trim. The appearance of the opening looked just like the original--no visual evidence of alterations.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
For a OEM factory look, I did this:

https://www.trimkitsusa.com/

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I also don't know why you'd limit selection by not cutting cabinet, less reworking larger storage cabinet, but its your camper

Your local walmart..
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Proctor-Silex-0-7-Cu-ft-Black-Digital-Microwave-Oven/464841392
black white or red 9.57" tall.
down to black only-other vendors still show
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
K...

Ya but I really don't want to cut into or modify anything...If I can't find a smaller one that will fit,I'll just finish fixing up the one I already have in there now....So close but so far away without cutting into anything....

1/2 inch away from some cool microwaves,even with Alexa..

Why not?
I assume the micro will stay in the camper, so you want to make it convenient and not settle for something unique?
Cutting the cabinet at the location will require some skills, but those saws sell for $20 at HF.

Bedlam
There may be a false bottom on that cabinet where the stove hood is mounted. If you are willing to remove the cabinet door and trim the opening, there are plenty 10.3"-10.5" tall microwave choices.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
K...

Ya but I really don't want to cut into or modify anything...If I can't find a smaller one that will fit,I'll just finish fixing up the one I already have in there now....So close but so far away without cutting into anything....

1/2 inch away from some cool microwaves,even with Alexa..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04